Hawkeye Huddle

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by H22APWRD94, Aug 3, 2010.

1. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Hawkeye Huddle

I need to learn how to link these things in, but my Week 1 write-up is on the Dynasty Wire.

Hawkeyes vs Cyclones

2. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Over 100,000 fans silenced!

Coming off a loss to #1 Wisconsin, Iowa seeks revenge for 2010

This game meant a lot for Iowa. Already having a conference loss to Wisconsin, Iowa could not take another loss to a Big 10 opponent and hope to still have a chance for the conference title. Going into the sea of white, the Hawkeyes remembered their horrendous showing from the year before. A 31-7 beatdown that included four interceptions from Ricky Stanzi. PSU was without their top two corners, so that was somewhat promising. But being without RB Adam Robinson, Iowa was down to Brandon Wegher and redshirt freshman Marcus Coker. It was time for Wegher to show if he had what was needed to be a top tier running back. It was also James Vandenberg's biggest test of the season. After Stanzi's performance last year, there was some doubt. By the time the whistle blew at the half, that doubt was erased.

Iowa took the ball to start the game and proceeded on a methodical drive that took over 4 minutes off the clock. Brandon Wegher capped off the drive with a 7yd TD run off the left side. On PSU's first drive, they started off moving the ball well. On a passing play, the pocket broke down and Kevin Newsome scrambled. He was working his way away from LB Bruce Davis when he got tangled up with LB Tyler Neilsen. Neilsen managed to strip the ball away and it fell right into Davis's hands. Iowa managed to convert the turnover into Wegher's second TD of the day.

Penn State came right back and moved the ball with a purpose. Taking the ball the distance, and milking the clock to under two minutes, the Nittany Lions finally landed the big one, with HB Stephfon Green taking the draw play up the middle almost untouched for the 12 yard score. With just over a minute and a half remaining, Iowa had a decision to make. Sit on a 7 point lead, or try to extend it with PSU getting the ball to start the second half.

The first play from scrimmage said it all. Vandenberg connected on a seam route to TE Brad Herman, and Herman took it to midfield. The Iowa playcalling kept PSU off balance, and they made their way inside the five yard line with 11 seconds remaining and burning their final timeout. Faced with a first and goal from the 3, Iowa had a big decision to make. Try for the TD in the air against a very solid pass defense, retaining the possibility of a FG try with an incompletion. Try for the TD on the ground, if they were stoned, no points at all. Final choice, just take the 3 to end the half. Going against my usual grain, and riding the flow of the game, I went I-Form Big and gave Wegher the rock. The defense was in goalline, and stacked to stop him. TE CJ Fiedorowicz made a beautiful seal block on the end, RG Adam Gettis pulled and FB Wade Leppert kept the hole clear as Wegher went power left and made it in the endzone. 21-7 halftime lead for the Hawkeyes.

Penn State came out of the half and went no huddle and generated a very quick score. Newsome snuck one by LB Davis into the waiting hands of TE Mark Wedderburn. Penn State closed the lead to 7, and Iowa needed a response. They started moving the ball, but back to back drops by WR Marvin McNutt ended the drive and forced the punt. PSU came back out looking to tie up the game. They moved the ball down the field, but came up short on a 3rd down try and were forced to punt at the start of the 4th quarter. Iowa took it from there and went back to Wegher. A nice touch from Vandenberg kept the chains moving, and Wegher broke an 18 yarder dragging the defense with him. Another first down, and Iowa was in FG range. A big third down play upcoming, and it was back on Vandenberg's shoulders. PSU brought the pressure, but forgot about FB Wade Leppert coming out of the backfield. Leppert made the catch and went 26 yards untouched into the endzone.

Again with a 14 point lead, Iowa was in the drivers seat, but was far from being at the end of this game. PSU was forced to go to the air, and both the Iowa defense and Kevin Newsome paid for it. The iowa defense was kept running all over the field, and Newsome was injured for the game on a sack during the drive. That brought in Robert Bolden, and again I was very worried. He is more mobile that Newsome, and still a great throwing QB. The Hawkeye defense held tough though, and forced the turnover on downs. The Hawkeyes moved the ball trying to run the clock and took it down to around a minute before taking the FG to seal the game. A couple PSU passes and the clock ran out, and Iowa was celebrating another victory in Happy Valley.

This is a big win for the program. A Top 5 win on the road to keep them in the hunt for a conference title and a possible BCS bowl. Great game Dunlap, after last year, this game was one that I had some focus on after you handed me my *** last season. I look forward to college football finally recognizing the Iowa/PSU matchup as a rivalry that now is. The history of this matchup is young, but it has always been closely contested. Look forward to next time, and wreak havoc the rest of the way.

Mike

Pictures and Videos