Helli's 2014 Team Defense Rankings

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Helli's Defensive Rankings for 2014

Using the defensive statistics that are available in the team stats, I have compiled rankings of our team's defenses for 2012. To do this, I used four categories:

- Suppression of Yards - How many yards we allow per game
    - Suppression of Points - Self Explanatory
    - Explosive Plays - Fumble Recoveries and Interceptions, and then a certain percentage of our total sacks (sacks * 0.375 is what I calculated to be a good number... Obviously, a sack is not as valuable as a turnover.
    - Red Zone Defense - Our ability to suppress points once the offense gets in the red zone.

To me, the ability to simply suppress points is the most important aspect of a defense. How they do that is of no consequence. I would normally figure to give that extra weight. However, with Red Zone defense being one of the four categories, and being tied in so closely with points suppression overall, I felt it gave this aspect of a defense a lot of weight if I gave each category equal consideration in this analysis. Remember, explosive plays eventually lead to scores and short fields for a team's offense so it must be considered. When I first did this, I had smalls and I tied for fifth... until he pointed out that I was using the offensive red zone numbers for our teams. OOPS. Putting in the right numbers shot us to a tie for first in my numbers... So without further ado, here are my defensive ratings for 2014.

1) GEORGIA TECH YELLOWJACKETS
    Suppression of Yards: 2nd
    Suppression of Points: 2nd
    Explosive Plays: 8th
    Red Zone Defense: 2nd

Part of the Yellowjackets success is that they tend to dominate time of possession. But that's not the entirety of it. They are extremely effective at stopping offenses once they get in the red zone. Although Week 13 games were not taken into account with my numbers, it was noted that they just had a shutout with tons of sacks. That put them ahead of Virginia - For now.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) VIRGINIA CAVALIERS
    Suppression of Yards: 8th
    Suppression of Points: 4th
    Explosive Plays: 1st
    Red Zone Defense: 1st

Virginia plays a bend-don't-break style but also turns the ball over, leading the league with 32 interceptions. They are also extremely effective at stopping the opponent in the red zone, as opponents only score 64.7% once inside the 20. Opponents only get a touchdown 41.1% of the time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3) MISSISSIPPI STATE
    Suppression of Yards: 4th
    Suppression of Points: 1st
    Explosive Plays: 7th
    Red Zone Defense: 8th

Mississippi State is mid-pack in explosive plays and Red Zone defense (somewhat suprising) as they allow offenses to score touchdowns at a 56.5% success rate, and allow points on 87% of red zone attempts overall. Nevertheless, they are very tough to gain yards against and difficult to get into the red zone against (second fewest red zone opportunities allowed).

4) TENNESSEE
    Suppression of Yards: 5th
    Suppression of Points: 5th
    Explosive Plays: 4th
    Red Zone Defense: 7th

Tennessee is clearly playing solid defense this year, although an easier than normal schedule may be influencing that somewhat. Needless to say, Tennessee can't control who is on their schedule and just goes out and beats the team in front of them each week.

5) NC STATE
    Suppression of Yards: 1st
    Suppression of Points: 3rd
    Explosive Plays: 9th
    Red Zone Defense: 10th (tie)

A bit surprising that they are so far ahead of the pack in yards allowed. They have done a great job on defense all year in terms of suppressing yards and points. They only come up short at causing explosive plays and in the red zone. Thumbs up to the now-departed Ceewo

6) MARYLAND
    Suppression of Yards: 3rd
    Suppression of Points: 6th
    Explosive Plays: 6th
    Red Zone Defense: 12th

The Terps' opponents score 91% of the time once they get in the red zone, including touchdowns 59% of the time. Nevertheless, their frenetic style of play leads to plenty of big defensive plays and they are tough to move the ball against.

7) ARKANSAS
    Suppression of Yards: 7th
    Suppression of Points: 8th
    Explosive Plays: 10th
    Red Zone Defense: 4th

South Carolina and Arkansas are tied for 7th in my rankings, however Arkansas plays the tougher schedule in terms of opposing offenses (especially users) so they get the nod. They do work in the red zone, which is frustrating for offenses.

8) SOUTH CAROLINA
    Suppression of Yards: 12th
    Suppression of Points: 9th
    Explosive Plays: 3rd
    Red Zone Defense: 5th

South Carolina hemorrhages yards and points, but makes big plays on defense and is pretty tough in the red zone.

9) BOSTON COLLEGE
    Suppression of Yards: 6th
    Suppression of Points: 12th
    Explosive Plays: 2nd
    Red Zone Defense: 10th (tied)

Boston College gives up points in bunches, although their ability to make big plays helps their offense out in a lot of games. Their struggles in the red zone compound problems as they allow touchdowns on 58.33% of opponents' red zone tries, third worst in the league

10) TEXAS A&M
    Suppression of Yards: 9th
    Suppression of Points: 10th
    Explosive Plays: 5th
    Red Zone Defense: 6th

A&M allows the third most points per game of any user team and struggles to stop opposing offenses from moving the ball down the field. Their knack for making big plays and playing decent in the red zone somewhat offsets these struggles.

11) NORTH CAROLINA
    Suppression of Yards: 10th
    Suppression of Points: 7th
    Explosive Plays: 11th
    Red Zone Defense: 3rd

North Carolina is pretty much an all-or-nothing defense, going for big hits and leading the league in fumble recoveries. However, their players have struggled to catch the ball when thrown to them, as they are dead last in interceptions. They're decent in the red zone, but just allow far too many big plays.

12) MISSOURI
    Suppression of Yards: 11th
    Suppression of Points: 11th
    Explosive Plays: 12th
    Red Zone Defense: 10th (tied)

:(

If anybody feels like looking at my calculations for this, they can do so ****HERE****

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
    • Like Like x 6
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Interesting.

I'm more baffled how the "super teams" aka South CArolina and TAMU pretty much suck on defense while UVA/GT are pretty much good.

Is it philosophies? Because I see GT as a ball control team with that option, they wanna run so obviously that takes down the clock. I consider UVA a ball control type team. Same for MISS ST and Tennessee.

Meanwhile teams like SC, BC, Mizzou, NC...it's all about offense, so the defense will be out there more....just food for thought.

My team has been atrocious, especially when backs break free on me, it's annoying. We don't have the team speed, particularly at LB to chase down RB's, etc. Our secondary is considered a strength and that helps with our defense being able to make big plays when we need it.

3. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

A&M defense for the most part shut down my offense but allowed a 98-yard game tying drive. I think my team also had a 75-yard screen play. Those 2 drives probably accounted for the majority of my yards in that game.

Missouri gave up some big plays in the first half but completely shut down my offense in the second half and OT.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Nice write up Lord Helli

5. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    My defense is def on the field a lot. I score fairly quickly and couple that with being ahead most of the game teams are just going to pass all game. My D is also pretty young at corner so I give up yards passing.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I think that in "real life" as well as in this game, teams that are looking to get their offense on the field, and move the ball through the air primarily, are going to look worse in an analysis of defensive metrics. That's probably news to nobody, and this IS an analysis of the numbers.

I think a lot of this is, how do teams identify themselves? I have, and always will, identify myself as a defensive grinder. When I'm on offense, I'm looking for big plays. Big plays are the only reason I beat you Mo... But on defense I am looking to mix it up, to grind away, keep the offense thinking, make them work for every yard. Hell, on offense I'm still thinking about how to counteract what you're doing on offense. It's just he way I play, and think, football games.

IMHO, a lot of you guys are just looking to get your offense back on the field.

Now, for the record, I wish they did have more stats available such as total plays the defense has been on the field. That way we could analyze important aspects such as yards allowed per play, per pass, etc... And I really, really wish they had defensive conversion statistics, which they don't. Would be very helpful.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I look to not turn the ball over on off and to cause interceptions on def........that's it.

Everything else is........:eek:

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    In my case it's true in the fact that this year I don't have the playmakers at LB nor at the ends. My CB's are decent and I have a good FS but there's nothing redeemable about my defense I feel. I'll never claim to be a defensive wiz though as well and generally I'm not as imaginative on defense as I am on offense.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I suspect is it VERY possible that if we had the ability to analyze yards per play, 3rd down %, and some other things, that these ratings would change somewhat. I'd be interested to see a counterpoint Offensive Rankings post.

• Like Like x 1
  10. bravejaf

bravejaf Walk On

I am usually better on the defensive side of the ball than the offensive side. This year I have tried focusing on running the ball on offense to minimize the time my defense needs to spend on the field. My roster has some very solid cornerbacks and the secondary is probably the strength of this team. That transfer CB from LSU made a huge difference on my team. Last season the Bulldogs started 2 freshmen at CB (including nickel back).

11. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

What really help my defense this year was when my best player (89) FS went down for the year :rolleyes:

The back up is pretty useless which makes me manually control his ass.....I mean I cant fuck up things quite as bad as he can, can I?

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Similar situation here. DT Eddie Goldman transferred from FSU and he has been INCREDIBLE, we are much tougher to run the ball against on the interior which has allowed me to focus on stopping the off tackle plays that just ate me alive last year. I mean... Users could get a first down almost every single time they ran an off tackle play last year because I was so afraid of giving up the home run up the middle.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Probably can... I love playing against FS users... They simply bite bite bite bite bite!!! They're like Croppie hahahah

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I have probably had less than 5 big runs in 3 years....the run game for me is more of a chip, chip, 3rd and 3.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

At times it almost seems too hard to run the ball this year. Except for the fact that I am averaging around 6 YPC with my primary runner, which is a realistic number for him given his ability and such. It's tough to know what to think, sometimes I totally get shut down where I can't even get back to the line of scrimmage against good teams half the time. I think I Just need a better line, they're very average... How's yours?

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I know the avgs are ok...my #1 who sucks is at 5.4 yds pc.

My Line is all (RS) 4 SR and 1 JR.....they are meh. I mean a (RS) SR rated an 82.....that sux in my book.
    T - 85
    G - 82
    C - 89
    G - 83
    T - 83

TE1 - 77
    TE2 - 75

I have signed 2-3 solid oline man so I am expecting better holes in the future....if not...the game sucks!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

The thing I hate most in the running game is when you try and run pulling guard plays, if he comes around and there's nobody there he squats down and takes a dump... or worse, turns around and hits the running back right in the chest, stopping all forward momentum. I had a perfectly blocked play yesterday that would have been a TD or at least a 30-yard gain and the guard can't find anybody so turns around and headbutts the running back, leading to a 2-yard loss. WTF!? He was gonna come back to get a guy that had come around the back side.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I hate running the ball. And maybes its due to my Line sucking ass but I always get those 1-2 yard gains. No real big yardage.

19. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

You ACC guys just dont face the week-to-week grind that is an ESS EE SEE schedule.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hahahahaha.. Maybe true.

21. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I hear you MO but you just cant pass 45 times vs the CPU. Throwing interceptions is the quickest way to give the CPU unstoppable momentum and easy way for you to go into scramble mode. I force myself to run in order to just open up some passing lanes.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I can if it works ;). Last two games actually I ran the ball a lot more though

23. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Need to hold 'up' on the right thumbstick when you hit the hole. let off of it if you reach the second level. There is a rhythm to it.

Edit: that way you are instantly ready to break a tackle/fall forward if you get hit in the backfield or at the LOS

24. Papa Perry

Papa Perry Leeroy Jenkins!!!

I like this Hellisan

Any way you could make defensive TDs and safeties a part of it? I guess it would fall in with explosive plays?

25. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Sure, you could do that by going to each team and manually counting the TD's in the individual defensive stats and then including it in a separate column which would be easy enough. The statistician in me would say that those are probably a function of the other plays to some extent, and have a lot of luck involved. I'd lean toward it being more 'luck related' than I'd prefer to include in an analysis.