Helli's midseason recruiting notes, takes, and predictions

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

First things first: I must commend Rynoaid on the class he is coming up with. He is the talk of the proverbial town with how he has simply dominated in recruiting this season. Well on his way to the #1 class. A team once known for gobbling up :4stars: for the most part, he's now doing the same thing with blue chippers. But how good are these guys? Are they the kind that could bring Ryno a championship? Let's get that question out of the way right now.

[​IMG]

Jamaal Whitlock, MLB - Impressed with him, not amazed by him. Speed is clearly adequate to well above-average for a MLB, but for the #1 player in the nation you'd think he'd be a little more dominant in certain areas (BSH, POW, PRC). However, as the #1 player in the nation with A+ AWR, his AWR will be off the charts (85+) most likely. That will make him a great player. Predicted Ratings: 84 OVR, 84 SPD, 86 AWR

Josh Fernandez, HB - Sturdy, all-around back with the ability to run it inside and occasionally break it outside. Predicted ratings: 79 OVR, 92 SPD, 91 ACC

Alvin Davis, HB - (Nickname: Mr. Mariner)... Very similar to Fernandez but slower. Neither of these guys are gonna make A&M start them as freshmen, help them get over the hump, etc. Looks good to have the #1 class, but aside from being VERY solid players I'm not buying the hype looking at these two: Predicted ratings: 82 OVR, 91 SPD, 88 ACC

Marcus Murphy, OLB - The best thing about this guy is that he's strong - real strong. He's the type of player that I'd want in a 3-4 defense because they're already spread out wide, all they have to do is hold the edge to have an impact. They rarely chase down a play from behind in this game. As with Whitlock, he'll need to have off-the-charts AWR to be a truly dynamic player because he's not "that" fast and his secondary ratings leave something to be desired for a guy this high up the charts. Realistically speaking, A&M is holding its breath as Oklahoma has Tate Miller - a far more impactful player - in for a visit in week 8. Miller visited A&M in week 5 and has them #1. However, after a school signs a 5-star guy their chances of landing another one typically fall. They dodged a bullet as Michigan didn't go after him hard enough in the early going and their week 7 visit fell flat. Predicted ratings: 81 OVR, 82 SPD, 80 ACC

Brandon Hufford, FS - True greatness at free safety. Easily my favorite of the first few players I looked at here. His speed is just fine for a free safety, especially one that is 6'4, 220, and tackles like an outside linebacker. Literally a do-it-all player. There's nothing I don't like here. Predicted ratings: 85 OVR, 93 SPD, 89 aCC, 71 CTH

Leon Whitfield, DT - This guy is a player that could either be phenomenal or pretty average depending on that strength rating. "B" is a fairly tough call. He reputedly benches 456, which is solid-average for a highly touted tackle, but he's much faster than the typical DT. I think he could be a very, very solid player. Really like his secondary ratings as only PRC is below a C+. Predicted: 75 OVR, 69 SPD, 83 STR

Mike Pittman, OLB - Another solid contributor, and if I were Ryno, I'd trade both him and Murphy to just land Miller. Predicted: 76 OVR, 83 SPD, 87 ACC

Chaz Dawson, CB - Potentially the third impact player on this list. Not a total shut-down corner but he will make his share of plays during his career. The thing I really like about him is that he recognizes plays, gets off blocks and can play defense in more ways than just coverage. Not the greatest tackler or the best hands, he'll be at his best as an upper classman and needs to be redshirted. Predicted: 79 OVR, 96 SPD, 92 ACC

Ok, now that I've pissed Ryno off by hinting that he has three impact players out of the first eight, we'll look at some players that are being heavily contested right now, and predict who's gonna get 'em.

------------------------------
    Note: All "soft commits" determined by momentarily adding players to my board.

HB Kenny Ingraham - Rank: 4
    Ingraham is a rare TRUE workhorse back. He can do absolutely everything, knows the game inside-out, and best of all, has A+ stamina. you just don't see that! So who's gonna get him? There are three players giving valiant chase, and it appears to me that the two that have a chance at him are Michigan and Texas. Michigan just had their visit and jumped to #1, and also received a soft commit. With Texas and ASU already having blown their visit loads, He looks like a Michigan man from here.
    Projections: 85 OVR, 91 SPD, 90 ACC

ATH James Ball - Rank: 10 (#1 Ath)
    BAll is a stud defensive end prospect. Sure, you could put him at OLB and that might be a valid option, but he will be an impact guy at DE. UCLA, Oregon, and USC are all players for Ball's services. UCLA has a soft commit from Ball. USC has a visit this week. It might actually help Oregon if USC broke up the soft commit so they could have a chance at a meaningful visit in week 11. Oregon is always lurking with the late visits and you can't count them out. USC just got their payback for last season's shelling at the hands of ASU, so their week 8 visit could go quite well. In the end I'd be surprised to see him headed anywhere other than UCLA, the land of hot asian chicks.
    Projections: 83 OVR, 80 SPD

DT Kyle Davis - Rank: 18
    Davis is an absolute monster. The ultimate 4-3 DT. One step below the level of Pat Hooper at Ohio State due to the lack of upper-echelon speed. The Rollin' Heights product has the speed and pass-rush moves of an upper-echelon defensive end but enough strength to hold his own against any guard. USC is building a nice lead, but doesn't have him visiting until week 12. It remains to be seen whether they can hold off UCLA who brings him in for a week 10 visit against lowly Washington State. And there's always the chance that Oregon has a freakishly good visit and jumps up from #3 to sign him after this week. This is just a pick-em. Good luck gents. Quick Note: I really have respect for USC after going through some of this, they are bringing in recruits for visits against human opponents, which is something I don't have the balls to do. This guy visits against #1 Oregon.
    Projections: 82 OVR, 72 SPD, 89 STR

G Maurice Sears - Rank: 23
    Sears is not without holes (his are AWR and AGI) but he should be an exceedingly solid player for the team lucky enough to land him. Purdue, Penn State, and Ohio State are pursuing him seriously. Purdue had a week 6 visit go very well and looks to have a decent lead, while Ohio State wasn't able to make waves with a week 7 visit. Penn State will have him in for a week 9 visit against Iowa. They're a good ways behind on the meter but they're friggin Penn State. They'll at the very least make it close.
    Projections: 79 OVR, 90 STR, 69 AWR

So who's getting the speed? As JMS recently indicated, a lot of people look at speed first when they're recruiting these days. And for good reason: nothing else matters quite as much as speed in this game. Let's look at the fastest players in this class and who is likely to get them. Quick looks this time.

WR Roosevelt Smith - 4.16 forty - #11 WR - Signed with Ohio State. He's one of the two fastest players in this class. Projections: 81 OVR, 99 SPD, 93 ACC

CB Gerald O'Connor - 4.18 forty - #4 CB - Texas has a huge lead, all the elite pitches, etc. but has already had their visit. Oklahoma State is a good deal behind, and they have invited O'Connor to a non-rival game against Baylor. We don't think that Texas can finish this off by week 11 but the Cowboys have a job on their hands to pry him away. Oklahoma State needs to really take advantage of Texas' absence and recruit the holy hell out of this kid the next few weeks. Hit 'em when they're down, Dawson!!! He's a pure speed corner but a lot of his ratings are decent other than tackling/hands which are pretty average. Projections: 80 OVR, 98 SPD, 92 ACC

ATH James Lewis - 4.18 Forty - #7 ATH - Another speedy WR prospect for Penn State. So what else is new? They're gonna sign after visiting PSU week 9. Write it down. Projections: 76 OVR, 97 SPD, 96 ACC.

WR Lance Douglas - 4.20 Forty - #10 WR - Just to back up JMS's claims... HEHEHEHE.... What happened with Douglas was that he had ZERO user teams in his Top 10. For me as Purdue, that's what I'm looking for baby... Now he has three user teams chasing him. Gerald Goodman didn't sign with me, and neither will this guy. Oklahoma, Purdue, and UCLA are all going after him. Oklahoma had a nice visit in week 7, and they jumped to #1 but don't have a soft commit. Purdue is trailing fairly closely, and hosted Douglas to their 52-10 squashing of Wisconsin this week. It's a pretty sure bet that UCLA won't get him. Look for him to don the Sooners hat pretty soon. Projections: 78 OVR, 98 SPD, 98 ACC

HB Chris Nugent - 4.20 Forty - #17 HB - Signed with Michigan. Pure speed back, but with some very solid receiving and ball-carrying skills. Very similar to Emmanuel Nicholas. Projections: 79 OVR, 98 SPD,

WR Joseph Mills - 4.22 Forty - #12 WR - Almost a clone of Douglas - Same size but not quite as fast. Oklahoma, UCLA, and Texas are the players for this kid's services. We can write Texas off since they won't be around much for a couple in-game weeks. UCLA might have too much distance to make up, although they will bring him in a week earlier than Oklahoma. Look for him to become a Sooner. Projections: 76 OVR, 95 SPD, 96 ACC

Well, thanks for reading, hope you're not asleep yet, and good luck on the recruiting trail...

2. jfosh

jfosh Super

ATH James Ball needs to sign with UCLA, I beleive he visits USC this week. Will they swoop in and steal another 5 star. They just picked up HB CJ Lott who was already soft committed to UCLA. If he doesn't sign with USC this week he'll be on campus for spring ball!

Kyle Davis would be nice revenge against USC for stealing Lott. Oh ya he is a damn good player too. Not to mention both of these guys are on Oregon's radar.

Lance Douglas, I have to agree is not going to be a Bruin. Was very hard for UCLA to recruit this guy took longer to get him interested and was real keen on what UCLA had to offer anyway. That lag in interest took the prime visit oppurtunites away. Rest easy Helli I think he lands in West Layfayette.

If UCLA can land Ball & Davis it would be an upgrade. It would also keep these guys from lining up against the Bruins which may be the most important thing. We have already lost out on #1 DE Jackson and underrated DE Cleveland was my second choice at end. This guy is headed most likely to Michigan unless Bruce pisses him off. Did I mention the de-commit of Lott.(had to say it again) 2013 is repeating itself except USC is doing what Oregon did last year.

Enjoyed reading! And thanks for wishing me luck on the recruiting trail, I need a little this year.

3. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

great Article.........was waiting for someone to write something like this.

My class is meh and will be meh. Need WRs as I will only have 3 next season.

Need Oline men and thats about it.....everything else will be extra weight.....

I dont see myself signing any monsters that will start next season. Next season will be the same players but better!

4. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Nice writeup Helli

Like I told you last night Douglas is going to Purdue....I didn't want to schedule him so early at week 6, but he had no other slots open....your visit was set up perfectly and you already almost had a full bar.....If I can get Mills instead, I'll be pretty happy.....didn't really count on having them both

5. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

bah.. haters...

i already signed three day 1 freshman starters.. (and possibly a 4th) am about to sign 2 more five * and about 12 more 4*....

this class is legendary.... too bad i will only have them for 2 years.

It should really help my defense the next couple of seasons. I got a young SS (4th rated) last year that im hoping improves to pair with Hufford for a nice package for the last couple seasons. Whitlock will play alongside this year's freshman sensation MLB Polite who you have looked at before. That pair should be awesome in the near future. When i nail down Tate, this will be an awesome OLB haul for me... i will be set for the remainder of the dyansty at that position.

The RB's are not top notch, i know that.. but i still have Nash coming back for one more season and Fields coming back for 2. I have a gunslinger at QB next year(yes Butler graduates) with 93 accuracy and 91 strength that will only go up during the offseason. I will be scary at WR as usual... probably the scariest i've ever been with Nelson and Tucker (a complete receiver) out wide.

If Butler was going to be around next year i would predict a title run, but he's not, so i can't even predict a Big 12 title. Just don't know how the transition to a thrower is gonna be.

6. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Nice work anus.

We finally signed some players last week. Three WRs and Motor city mad man RB Nugent who is going to be an absolute beast, underatted and unappreciated.

We signed the number one WR in the land strictly a nice number 3 or 4 wr the way speed matters and a 6'7 Randy Moss clone with A speed and acc, along with a B+ jump he is going to be special.

7. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

I really really wanted that WR.........I wish I could have had a visit before u!

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

You will be surprised. It's so nice not having fumble turnovers....

9. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    lmao helli, i coulda swore you were in the pac-10...me you and fosh always battling for recruits.

10. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hehe I'm battling UCLA for maybe 1-2, I don't think I'm going against you for any.

11. jfosh

jfosh Super

Douglas did not sign im worried for you

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah in fact he soft committed with OU. I told you guys the truth. I did sign a very good 5-star DT.

13. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I'm bored as hell on a Sunday evening.
    Regardless, I thought I would sim ahead, and only for the players that have already signed take a look at the ratings and compare the players to what I predicted earlier in the season.

SPOILER ALERT: IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO SEE RATINGS FOR ANY PLAYERS THAT YOU HAVE SIGNED, DO NOT CONTINUE TO READ FURTHER AS THIS WILL SPOIL IT FOR YOU. some of the players I discussed earlier weren't included here and that would be if I wasn't sure off the top of my head if they had signed with somebody yet. Probably, most of them have but I wasn't taking chances.

Texas A&M guys first....

Jamaal Whitlock, MLB -
    Predicted Ratings: 84 OVR, 84 SPD, 86 AWR
    Actual Ratings: 84 OVR, 84 SPD, 81 AWR

Josh Fernandez, HB -
    Predicted ratings: 79 OVR, 92 SPD, 91 ACC
    Actual ratings: 81 OVR, 93 SPD, 91 ACC

Alvin Davis, HB -
    Predicted ratings: 82 OVR, 91 SPD, 88 ACC
    Actual ratings: 82 OVR, 91 SPD, 89 ACC

Marcus Murphy, OLB -
    Predicted ratings: 81 OVR, 82 SPD, 80 ACC
    Actual ratings: 83 OVR, 81 SPD, 78 ACC

Brandon Hufford, FS -
    Predicted ratings: 85 OVR, 93 SPD, 89 aCC, 71 CTH
    Actual ratings: WAY OFF - 77 OVR, 93 SPD, 85 ACC, 63 CTH (I'd still love to have him tho)

Leon Whitfield, DT -
    Predicted: 75 OVR, 69 SPD, 83 STR
    Actual: 72 OVR, 62 SPD, 84 STR

Mike Pittman, OLB -
    Predicted: 76 OVR, 83 SPD, 87 ACC
    Actual: 74 OVR, 82 SPD, 90 ACC

Chaz Dawson, CB -
    Predicted: 79 OVR, 96 SPD, 92 ACC
    Actual: 78 OVR, 96 SPD, 93 ACC

HB Kenny Ingraham - HB (Michigan)
    Projections: 85 OVR, 91 SPD, 90 ACC
    Actual: 82 OVR, 92 SPD, 92 ACC

G Maurice Sears - Rank: 23 (Purdue)
    Projections: 79 OVR, 90 STR, 69 AWR
    Actual: 78 OVR, 92 STR, 54 AWR

WR Roosevelt Smith - 4.16 forty - #11 WR - (Ohio State)
    Projections: 81 OVR, 99 SPD, 93 ACC
    Actual: 81 OVR, 99 SPD, 93 ACC (swear I wasn't cheating, lol)

WR Lance Douglas - 4.20 Forty - #10 WR - (Oklahoma)
    Projections: 78 OVR, 98 SPD, 98 ACC
    Actual: 77 OVR, 97 SPD, 98 ACC

HB Chris Nugent - 4.20 Forty - #17 HB - Signed with Michigan.
    Projections: 79 OVR, 98 SPD,
    Actual: 79 OVR, 97 SPD, 90 ACC

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I see TAMU is all over the top 100 spects basically...half of them look like shyt though...a handful will contribute right away

15. jfosh

jfosh Super

You were right on with your projections. Especially Texas A&M's class being overrated!!

16. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

well, some of the guys that Ryno signed that I didn't make predictions on etc. are monsters.

17. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

wtf is with the 84 and 85 rated freshman......jeez

18. NYJuggalo45

NYJuggalo45 Walk On

Ok, pretty happy with Smith. We got 1 good player this class

19. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

lol.. damn, the haters are thick up in dis biznitch...

i got 4 starters just in what Helli listed... that's only 8 of the 20+ 4 and 5 star guys that will be a part of this class. He didn't even list the Olinemen or the other CB's.. and possibly a very nice young QB with A- throwing power and B's across the board for speed, acceleration etc. Looks ALOT like Butler did when he came in to the fold. Probably won't be as fast as Todd, but close.

My class is the shit... but if it makes your pathetic recruiting departments happy, and makes it easier to explain to the alumni why the Aggies kick your ass all over the recruiting trail this year... by all means hate away.

20. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

Douglas with 97 speed..nice....him and workman both with 97 jets

21. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

now u are on par with the rest of the league

22. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

yea.. i got 98, 95, 95, 95 (before progression) coming back next season. And i have a traditional pocket passer who will probably be taking the reigns (did i spell that right Prof. Rhude?)

Probably going to move to the Texas Tech playbook too, now that a running QB is probably not the best option for me.

23. DJ Rhude

DJ Rhude CAMAR'E

*looks up reign*....correct lol

Texas A&M is loaded, got better wideouts than OU....at least speed wise.....HB still remains where my strength lies on offense....OU can't run, I ain't winning....my two losses this year, run game got stuffed

24. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Yeah I don't even pay attn to Spd anymore...all my receivers are fast.....I am looking at other attributes now, Catch, Strength, CIT, Spec Catch........ect

Oh BRUCE...........you are on par to sign like 5-6 WRs..........why??

25. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It was so tough to defend you guys (for me at least, with slow CB) with four fast WR and a QB that could take off with the pill at any given moment.