Helli's Recruiting Notes: The best, brightest, and most interesting of the 2015 Class

Discussion in 'The Tradition' started by Hellisan, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

I figured I'd go position by position and talk about some of the best, and maybe most interesting, players that were signed out of what is generally agreed to be a pretty crappy class. Obviously in any class there are still players worth mentioning. So let's get started.

QUARTERBACK

#1 QB Brandon Sanders - 6'5" 221, KY (PURDUE)
    B+ SPD, B ACC, A AGI, B+ THP, B- THA, A ELU
    Prediction: Sanders will get the best player on the site (by most accounts) his first championship in T1. At this point it's starting to get to the point where people are taking notice. Like.. WTF... How does Hotrod not have a title in T1. . Something is fucked up here. Is that league actually worth a shit!? Well we all know he got screwed once and then has just plain struggled at other times, with ugly losses to the cpu. This guy will change all that. There's absolutely no way to stop him. Cannon arm, solid accuracy, all in a package that screams "Jake Locker athleticism." THe scary thing isn't just his pure speed... it's his agility and elusiveness. A spy isn't going to help you! If everybody is covered and he takes off... that spy is going to be left grasping at air. One of the very finest players in the class. Oh yeah... Purdue also got the #1 pure pocket passer in the class.... THe only category Mr. Sanders didn't place #1 in my rankings.

HALFBACK

Pass. I'm serious... Horrible class. I don't feel like discussing any of them.

FULLBACK

#6 FB Carl Butler - 6'3" 205, CO (WASHINGTON)
    B+ SPD, B- ACC, D AGI, C BTK, C CAR, C STR, C+ TRK, C- RBK, C PBK, C+ IBL, C+ RBS, B- RBF, B- SFA
    So Tony Barry (signed by Alabama) is the best FB in the class. Butler is #2, and he's way more interesting to me because well I fucking signed him and two he's the fastest FB in the class and rated the best blocker. I signed the guy I have rated #3 at this position as well, and that guy has way better size and hands, two qualities I like in my fullbacks. So... I'm seriously thinking of making this guy a halfback. Sound stupid I guess but he's faster than the vast majority of running backs in this class... lol. So unless we have a rule against white halfbacks which is very possible... He might be moving positions. I always wanted a HB that could block! In the end I'll probably keep him at FB and use his good run blocking skills there.

#2 FB Mike Williams - 6'1" 216, TX (PITTSBURGH)
    C- SPD, B- ACC, C+ AGI, c- AWR, C BTK, C+ CAR, C+ STR, C TRK, C+ RBK, C- PBK, C- IBL, C+ RBS, B RBF, C+ PBS, C- PBF, C- CTH
    The thing separating Williams from a lot of the fullbacks is his good awareness and that's what makes him intriguing to me. I have him rated the fifth best all around fullback and the second best blocker. I really think he's the best blocker, a little better all around than Butler and he might be a lot better than the fifth best because my rankings don't take into account AWR very much. I guess it's just that I don't care personally if the guy has great AWR.. If he does, bonus.. He won't make as many big impact blocks but he's better in pass pro than Butler which is important.

WIDE RECEIVER

#3 WR Josh Little - 6'3" 202, FL (U. SOUTH FLORIDA)
    A SPD, B- ACC, B AGI, C- CTH, C- RTE, C+ CIT, C- SPC, C+ JMP, C- REL, C- CAR, C- BTK
    I think we all know who the most productive and badass WR in this class will be... The #1 ATH and #1 player overall, freakshow Brandon Collins (
    UCLA). Well, freakshow athletes are there every year, they never change, and you can't see any of their important ratings. So like... What's to discuss? Little has a bunch of promise. He is fast as hell, has great size, and has no real weaknesses. For some reason my rankings don't really like him... But I do. (I think it's because the export sheet doesn't include "ACCELERATION" which they say is important this year, and separates him from a guy like Stanford's Dave Roberts. If Blaza had time to redshirt him (5 years) we're looking at a 95+ OVR guy with likely upper 90's speed. I think he'll still get into the 90's even playing right away. Nice pickup for those guys... It must be nice having all that Florida speed to oneself.

TIGHT END

#3 TE Kenny James - 6'8" 265, CA (CAL BEARS)
    C+ SPD, C+ ACC, C- AGI, C- CTH, B- CIT, B- RTE, C PBK, C+ RBK, C+ REL, B- STR, B- IBL, C+ RBS, B- RBF, C+ PBS, B- PBF
    James is an absolute monster. If I'm Fosh I get this guy in as soon as possible to open up holes for Cameron next season (and oh yeah there's the fact we have less than 5 seasons left). My rankings have him easily the #1 blocker in the class and frankly I don't think that tells the story of just how much better he is than the next best blocker. Add to that the fact that he's a solid receiver with adequate speed/quickness and a huge frame... Well... He's gonna be a great weapon for the Bears.

#8 TE Joe Thurman - 6'3" 218, CA (WASHINGTON)
    B SPD, B+ ACC, C AGI, C AWR, B+ CTH, C CIT, B- RTE, C- PBK, C RBK, B- REL, C STR, D- IBL, C+ RBS, D RBF, C+ PBS, B- PBF
    I have covered Thurman before in my team previews. He's a JUCO SOPH so that takes away a tad bit of value and he's not the world's greatest run blocker. Everything else is awesome. THe most interesting thing about him isn't just him by himself and his great speed/acc/hands... It's him and E.J. Webster lining up on the line at the same time. I'd say we are in two-TE sets at least half the time. Two extremely fast TE's with great hands, likely not running in the same direction... :rolleyes: WTF are defenses going to do?

TACKLE

#6 T Ryan Phillips - 6'5" 319, NJ (RUTGERS)
    D SPD, C- ACC, C+ PBK, C+ RBK, C+ IBL, B- STR/RBF/RBS, B PBF, B- PBS
    Mo has done a lot of moaning about recruiting this season, but he did land this excellent tackle, who we have rated #2 overall in the class behind Bama's Demetrius Bridges (#1). In a class that doesn't feature much in the way of dominant "strength" tackles, Phillips has above average strength for the class and no holes in his game, including great size.

GUARD

#6 G Roderick Patton - 6'3" 286, OH (PURDUE)
    C SPD, A ACC, C+ AGI, C AWR, B- PBK, B- RBK, B- IBL, B STR, B- RBF, B- RBS, C PBF, C- PBS
    Dominant run blocker with solid size. Powerful and able to make a difference in the running game. Comes back to the pack just a tad against the pass rush but nonetheless a great player. We have him ranked #3 in the class behind a pair of 'Bama signings. Although one of those guys is really small so let's put Patton and Cooper ahead of him maybe.

#3 G Lui Cooper - 6'6" 309, VA (UCLA)
    C SPD, B ACC, D+ AGI, C AWR, C+ PBK, B- RBK, B- IBL, B STR, C RBF, B RBS, C PBF, B- PBS
    When you take size, strength, and awareness into account Cooper has to be considered right near the top of this class. He will get beaten by finesse moves against the pass rush and run stopping fronts but he will dominate more often than not once he improves a little.

CENTER

#2 C Chris Branch - 6'2" 313, PA (PITTSBURGH)
    C- SPD, B- ACC, C AGI, C AWR, B- PBK, B- RBK, B- IBL, B- STR, C+ RBF, B- RBS, C- PBF, C+ PBS
    Premium center prospect (rated #2 behind OSU's Edgar Terry, but has much better size) that is very difficult to come across because the cpu recruits the shit out of players like this and most people are more enamored with the impact skill positions. This guy will be a centerpiece of the Panther offense and if they use their imagination they can figure out ways to really get him involved such as screen passes, where his impressive athleticism will come into play. Also has really nice strength for this position. Just a stud.

DEFENSIVE END

#19 DE Mark Drew (JUCO JR) - 6'4" 246, OH (UCLA)
    B SPD, B+ ACC, C- AGI, C+ STR, B TAK, B- PMV, B+ FMB, B- BSH, B+ PUR
    with seasons time before NCAA dwindling and T1 moving like molasses across rubber cement it doesn't matter too much of a guy is a JUCO. Even a JUCO junior! Mark Drew is ready to take the field and start hurting people right off the bat. Add to all his skill the fact that he's the fastest, most athletic DE in the class and Rusty is itching to get this guy on the field, most likely. He will improve a pass rush that proved to be lacking in pivotal moments. He should start opposite Caleb Hurd right off the bat.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE

#1 DT Marcus Roberson - 6'3" 285, MI (PURDUE)
    D- SPD, B- ACC, B- STR, B- TAK, B+ PMV, B- FMV, B- BSH, B+ PUR, B- HPW, C- ZCV
    Roberson is the clear-cut #1 defensive lineman at either position. His lack of speed leaves something to be desired and makes me compare him to Glenn Dorsey, who is almost comically slow in a straight line but really gets off the ball. He may be slow but there will be times he is next to the QB right off the snap as he will make short work of his man and be in the backfield. A great "get" by Purdue, who seem to have gotten the recruiting process down pat.

OUTSIDE BACKER

Pass. CPU dominated this position, and only one human team signed a top guy. That person is no longer active in the league at the moment so I will not waste my time breaking down the diminutive Khalif Parker (Illinois).

MIDDLE BACKER

#1 MLB Matt Williams - 6'1" 222, NC (WISCONSIN)
    B SPD, B+ ACC, C+ AGI, B- TAK, C+ PRC, B BSH, C PUR, D+ ZCV, C+ MCV, B HPW, B- STR, C+ PMV, C- FMV
    I have two MLB's rated ahead of Williams and they're the #9 and #10 MLB... But this is such a deep class of MLB that it's kind of difficult to really tell them all apart. The #20 MLB in this class will be pretty solid. Williams has a great combination of speed/accel and can really tackle for a MLB (tackling sucks this year for MLB's). Probably the gem of the Wisconsin class and a guy they say they need.

CORNERBACKS

#8 CB Matt Horton - 6'0" 187, NJ (PITTSBURGH)
    A+ SPD, A ACC, B+ AGI, C- AWR, B+ MCV, B+ ZCV, B- PRS, D CTH, B+ PRC, B- PUR, C- TAK, A- JMP, C- HPW
    This guy has been discussed ad nauseum. Frankly with the JUCO thing I'd rather have the freshman that follows... But this guy will step in right away and dominate for Pitt. Incredibly fast/athletic and skilled. What sticks out about him and the next guy as well is that they're strong, can tackle, and can hit. . OUr ratings say he's #1 cuz they don't take the year into account, we'd take the freshman....

#2 CB Clay Thomas - 6'1" 178, NC (WISCONSIN)
    A SPD, B ACC, B AGI, D- AWR, A MCV, B- ZCV, C+ PRS, D CTH, B+ PRC, C+ PUR, C TAK, B JMP, C HPW
    Total freak. In addition to his speed and good size... He's the third strongest CB in the class and can really tackle. They can do a lot of things with him, just like above. I recommend putting him (and Horton) in the the slot from the nickle and either manning him up against the tougher routes you see in the slot, or sometimes blitzing him. Take advantage of their tough run-stopping ability.

Running out of gas...

FS... meh..I'll put Nick Smith, my guy, up against most of them cuz of his speed. Fosh got a nice one in George Kent. Blankenship with Wisconsin is the best out of the box, should play somewhere right away likely SS or CB if not FS...

SS... Poland with Purdue is quite nice!

• Like Like x 5
  2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Thanks Bryan, fun to read.

3. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

good read... Pitt got some impact players this year, but struggled to fill the depth out in our recruiting class.

4. HotRod

HotRod You ain't bout dat life!

Featured Threads:
    Great writeup, especially the guys Purdue got [​IMG]

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I needed quite a few guys. The tackle was my favorite right now. I'm still in line to get at least 12 guys, barring those who come in the offseason.

6. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

(<------ starts scouring the pool for these 12 guys...)

7. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I don't think they r on ya list ;).

8. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Somebody's gonna need to slap a restraining order on the Pitt program for stalking

9. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Nice read. My HB (ATH) recruit Emmanuel Ingraham is an interesting recruit. He's a 4-star guy, at 6'0 252 pounds with B speed and C+ break tackle. I'm not sure what his acceleration is but he is one of the strangest recruits I've seen.

10. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

I had a guy like that last year Victor Larson. He has very good HB ratings but has a HORRIBLE carry rating. He is a very good blocker, so I am going to checkout moving him to FB or TE/H-Back in the offseason. We shall see.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah like what Blaza said my experience has been that they usually have some sort of devastating hole in their ratings. And athletes in general, it's just difficult to really tell how good they will be unless they're a DB. Then you can kinda tell. He's definitely interesting, let's hope he's good too.

12. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

He has a C carry rating, so I'm hoping after a redshirt year he will be able to tote the rock. But I agree, ATH do usually have one or two ratings that completely kill them. I especially hate when a DB ATH has something like B Man coverage and D zone coverage, it make's no sense.

13. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

JC, just as an update, my jumbo back improved very well after his first season. I have some good backs this year and really don't need him so I redshirted him as a soph, but he should be up to the mid 80s as a RS(soph) which I am pretty happy with.

14. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Man mine came in this year as a 68 ovr so he is definitely sitting out a year. He was supposed to be my top recruit...what a terrible offseason.