Hello Wisconsin - The Badgers 2010 Season

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by MexiRican35, Sep 1, 2010.

1. MexiRican35

MexiRican35 ¿Te quieres naranjas?

Hello Wisconsin - The Badgers 2010 Season

[​IMG]

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    Week Team Result Record
    1 @ TCU W 34-7 1-0 (0-0)
    2 @ Kansas W 38-20 2-0 (0-0)
    3 Arizona State W 52-42 3-0 (0-0)
    4 Oklahoma (EnvyZero) L 42-28 3-1 (0-0)
    5 @ Michigan State W 38-7 4-1 (1-0)
    6 Minnesota W 41-7 5-1 (2-0)
    7 Ohio State (mboda) L 38-14 5-2 (2-1)
    8 @ Iowa W 35-31 6-2 (3-1)
    10 @ Purdue W 42 - 0 7-2 (4-1)
    11 Indiana W 38 - 21 8-2 (5-1)
    12 @ Michigan (RDTII) L 33 - 22 8-3 (5-2)
    13 Northwestern
    BG Auburn W 41 - 12 10 - 3 (6-2)

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5 Column 6 Column 7
    Passing Rating Comp Att Yards TD INT
    Scott Tolzien 169.4 152 267 2743 23* 3

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    Rushing Yards Avg TD
    John Clay 944 4.9 17
    Montee Ball 446 5.5 3

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4 Column 5
    Receiving Rec Yards Avg TD
    Nick Toon 44 1184 26.9 12
    Lance Kendricks 45 635 14.1 5
    David Gilreath 15 226 15.0 3

Column 1 Column 2 Column 3 Column 4
    Defensive Tackles Sacks INT
    Jay Valai 61 0 2
    Culmer St Jean 46 1 3
    Darius Feaster 35 .5 2
    JJ Watt 28 4.5 0

* - school record​

2. MexiRican35

Week 1 - at TCU

The season began with a tough test in Ft. Worth. TCU and their fans believed this could be the year they could finally get into the national championship game after many undefeated seasons, yet no love from the rankings. The Badgers knew they had to start off the season right and not come out sluggish. Unfourntantly, thats what happened. A fumble as Clay was about to score and a missed field goal due to 15 MPH wind left Wisconsin down 7-0 at the end of the first. But the defense stepped up, as DE Butrym tackeled HB Tucker in the endzone for a safety. From then on, Wisconsin went on to score 34 unaswered points. The D kept TCU's running game in check, as the could only muster 20 yards on the ground. Clay was MVP for the game, running for 119 yards and 2 TD, and running the backbreaking time consuming drive in the 4th that took 6 minutes off the clock.

#11 Wisconsin 34 - #8 TCU 7

3. MexiRican35

Week 2 - at Kansas

Seeing how last week Ohio St was able to run the ball, the emphasis was to grind it out against Kansas. This was accomplished, as the Badgers racked up 139 rushing yards; Clay getting 105 yards and Ball with 53. It was tough sledding though. Kansas came out in a 3-3-5 look intent on stopping the run with its multiple blitz packages. The blitz did hurt Kansas secondary, as WR Nick Toon scored twice, once on an 80 yard bomb where he took a slant and out ran the entire secondary. Toon ended up with 5 catches for 136 yards. The downside in the victory was that All-American HB Clay went down with an abdominal tear injury in the 3rd. He is out for two more weeks, so backup Ball will be thrust into the starting lineup to be the primary back.

#7 Wisconsin 38 - Kansas 20

4. MexiRican35

With All American Clay on the bench due to injury, other players had to step their game up. Arizona State was coming off back to back blowout wins against FCS opponents, so the Badgers wanted to show them what a real football team looked like, and impress the home crowd in the season's first home game. But it was the Sun Devils that came out firing, jumping to a 21-7 1st quarter lead. Their passing attack was lethal, constantly beating my man coverage and blitzes. I knew that to keep up, and due to backup HB inability to break the D, only running for 75 yards, I would have to go to the air. And WR Toon stepped up huge. Toon came up with a tipped pass, broke a tackle and ran 84 yards for a TD. Then, with time expiring before the half, I looked to run it towards the middle to set up for a FG. I then saw Toon was in single coverage, audibled, and Toon came up with another tipped pass for 6. This made the score at the half 31-28, Wisconsin. The second half held far less scoring, as the teams mainly traded punts, until QB Tolzien dropped a picture perfect pass to Gilreath in the back of the endzone. I looked to run the ball in the 4th with a 3 point lead, but Ball fumbled the ball and Arizona St scored on the drive, making the score 42 - 38. Wisconsin responded, scoring on a pass to TE Kendricks, who had 7 catches for 113 yards and converted on many key 3rd downs. The defense stepped up when it mattered, forcing the Sun Devils to punt. Toon then sealed the game with a 14 yd TD. Toon ended the game with 10 receptions for 309 yards and 3 scores. Toon should be considered in the Heisman race, as he has played well all season.

5. MexiRican35

Week 3 - Arizona State

With All American Clay on the bench due to injury, other players had to step their game up. Arizona State was coming off back to back blowout wins against FCS opponents, so the Badgers wanted to show them what a real football team looked like, and impress the home crowd in the season's first home game. But it was the Sun Devils that came out firing, jumping to a 21-7 1st quarter lead. Their passing attack was lethal, constantly beating my man coverage and blitzes. I knew that to keep up, and due to backup HB inability to break the D, only running for 75 yards, I would have to go to the air. And WR Toon stepped up huge. Toon came up with a tipped pass, broke a tackle and ran 84 yards for a TD. Then, with time expiring before the half, I looked to run it towards the middle to set up for a FG. I then saw Toon was in single coverage, audibled, and Toon came up with another tipped pass for 6. This made the score at the half 31-28, Wisconsin. The second half held far less scoring, as the teams mainly traded punts, until QB Tolzien dropped a picture perfect pass to Gilreath in the back of the endzone. I looked to run the ball in the 4th with a 3 point lead, but Ball fumbled the ball and Arizona St scored on the drive, making the score 42 - 38. Wisconsin responded, scoring on a pass to TE Kendricks, who had 7 catches for 113 yards and converted on many key 3rd downs. The defense stepped up when it mattered, forcing the Sun Devils to punt. Toon then sealed the game with a 14 yd TD. Toon ended the game with 10 receptions for 309 yards and 3 scores. Toon should be considered in the Heisman race, as he has played well all season.

6. MexiRican35

Week 4 - Oklahoma

With HB Clay out one more week, it wasnt a good time to be playing #7 Oklahoma. Another week we were unable to run the ball, which forced us to become one dimensional. The game didnt start off well, as Tolzien threw a pick to LB Lewis which gave OU short feild and eventually 6 points. OU ran the ball effectively, enabling my defense to be on its heels. The D was also unable to get off the field on 3rd down. WR Anderson was a lone bright spot, as he was able to haul in 2 TDs. Toon was held in check catches wise, all though he did have 114 yards and 1 score where he tiptoed the sideline, stayed in, and outran the D. OU's man defense was top notch. Constantly I tried to throw deep only to have a DB knock it down. O felt with better play calls I could have won it, but Im sure thats what everyone says after a game. Hindsight is perfect vision. The Badgers came close to coming back, tying the score 28 all in the 4th, but Murray was able to bust out a big TD run, ending all chances for the win. Luckily, losing to a #7 team wont hurt my rankings severely, and Wisconsin starts Big 10 play vs Mich St, looking for a run at the Big 10 championship.

#7 Oklahoma 42 - #5 Wisconsin 28

7. EnvyZero

EnvyZero Walk On

Good game. Nice writeup

8. MexiRican35

Thanks man. Thank god i get my HB back next week

9. MexiRican35

Week 5 - @ Michigan State

After the first loss of the season and worst defensive performance, the defense stepped up in a huge way to open conference play with a W. The Badgers picked off Sparty QB Cousins three times, with MLB St Clair returning one 54 yards for a pick 6. Cousins was under distress all day, as most of his passes were off target. The game was basically over at the half with the score being 28-0. The only time Michigan St scored was when the 2nd team D was in late in the fourth. With the D playing so well, the offense typically started with good field position. It also helped that HB Clay came off the injured list, rushing for 72 yards and one score. Heisman candidate WR Toon only had 4 catches, but turned them into 97 yards and 2 scores, solidifying his case for Heisman supremacy. Next week is a rivalry game vs Minnesota with a shot to go 2-0 in conference.

#9 Wisconsin 38 - Michigan St 7

10. MexiRican35

Week 6 - Minnesota

In the Battle for Paul Bunyan's Axe, it was a complete domination for the Wisconsin Badgers. Offensively, Clay had his best game of the year, going for 135 yards and 4 TD's. Heisman candidate Toon didn't have any scores, but did have 5 catches for 163 yards that set up Clay down near the goal line. On D, the Badgers had 2 sacks and forced 3 fumbles and 1 INT. The only score giving up was when the Gophers returned their own fumble on a kickoff to Wisconsin's 20. It was a good performance setting up for the game of the year against Ohio St, which will likely determine the winner of the Big 10.

#9 Wisconsin 41 - Minnesota 7

11. MexiRican35

Week 7 - Ohio St

In a game which probably will determine the Big 10 champion, the Badgers failed on taking control. It was the little things that hurt this team. Throwing an INT to Toon cause it was under thrown. Had it been thrown on target, would have been a good gain. A dropped INT which could have been a pick 6. A missed sack on 3rd down which Pryor converted. A CRUCIAL missed knockdown by the safety on 3rd down that would have given the ball back with 5 minutes left in the game with the score 17-14. Thats the big one that got me. Ohio St put up 21 points after that as I had to turn up the aggressiveness. Toon was held to his worse game, 1 ctach for 16 yards, as the Buckeyes corners completely shut him down. TE Kendricks was the lone star, as he had 10 catches for 123 yards and 2 TDs and was the reason the game was close for the most part. It now seems to be a battle for 2nd, as the nest two teams are on the road against Iowa and Purdue, both of who are vying for 2nd also. The next 2 weeks will shape Wisconsin's season.

#7 Ohio St 38 - #10 Wisconsin 14

12. MexiRican35

Week 8 - @ Iowa

HB Clay went crazy this weekend. He amassed 194 yards on 30 attempts with 2 TDs. The emphasis in the running game helped for Tolizen to take shots down the filed. Heisman candidate Toon caught 5 passes for 102 yards and had a nice TD snagging it away from a defenders hands. The big play of the day came from second string HB Ball, who off of play action came out the backfield and caught a wide open 65 yard bomb that sealed the game. When asked about the play, Ball said "I just wanted to make sure I didnt drop it being that wide open and having the ball in the air for so long. With Clay getting the bulk of the carries, I wanted to prove I could be a playmaker." The D did a decent job, but gave up way to many big runs to Iowas HB Roberson. Roberson left the game in the 4th, and Wisconsin held on for the W. Now comes the bye week where Clay an get a much needed rest.

#12 Wisconsin 35 - #18 Iowa 31

13. MexiRican35

Week 10 - @ Purdue

Z chose a good time to leave. After the bye week, the Badgers came out firing on all cylinders right from the start. The opening drive was an 11 play drive taking 4 minutes off the clock and ending with a 4 yard Clay TD run. 3 plays later, MLB St Jean jumped in front Purdue's QB TerBush pass for a clean pick 6. From that point the rout was on. Clay went for 146 yards with 4 TDs. Heisman candidate Toon only had 3 catches but cashed them in for 86 yards and a score. When asked about his Heisman chances being hurt by the run game, Toon said, "I'm just happy we got the win. I shouldn't have to have 10 catches a game to stay in the race. If I can show that I can still make big plays on limited chances, that should stand out." Coach Mexi called the game an "Overall satisfying game." "I was really impressed by the defense," Mexi said. "We got pressure with only 4 so we stayed in Man Cover 2 most of the game. This is good for their confidence cause weve been prone to giving up big plays and keeping lesser opponents in the game." Next game is against an overacheving Indiana team. The defense will once again have to limit the big plays.

#9 Wisconsin 42 - Purdue 0

14. MexiRican35

Week 12 - @ Michigan

The Big House definitely made its presence felt on this game, even after the game was postponed twice due to "freezing weather" (har har har). The fans made it tough to audible and kept the offense from getting in any groove. "I put the blame on myself and my playcalling" Coach Mexi said after the game. The defense failed to get much pressure on Michigan QB Forcier, who methodically worked the ball down the field. Superstars Clay and Toon were both kept in check. The turning point of the game was when Michigan was able to score with 4 seconds left in the first half on a Roundtree TD reception. "The D did a bad job knocking down passes. Even with only one game left and the bowl game, this is something we can work on for the rest of the season and going into the offseason." One game left in the season against Northwestern, then its time for the dreaded 3 week bye at the end of the season for Big 10 teams.

#17 Michigan 33 - #7 Wisconsin 22

15. rdtii

rdtii Walk On

LOL