Help a 4-3 guy out with picking a new defensive playbook....

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Dru50, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

I've been running 4-3 pretty much forever in NCAA, but one of my teams (due to some recruiting mistakes by me) is now stacked with LB's and I don't have pass rushing DE's to run the 4-3 anymore. Looking at my defensive players, I would think I should run a 3-4, but I'm a bit hesitant to completely switch away from the 4-3.

Can any of you guys give me your thoughts on whether I should go straight to the 3-4 playbook, ease into it with the Multiple defense playbook, or should I go with the 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 or something off the wall?

Here are some of my defensive personnel:

DT’s – 94 OVR (68 spd, 86 str, 91 accl, 83 block shed), 87 OVR (57 spd, 82 str, 80 accl, 87 block shed)
    DE’s – 86 OVR (79 spd, 79 str, 81 accl, 92 block shed), 78 OVR (67 spd, 78 str, 88 accl, 85 block shed)
    OLB’s – 90 OVR (88 spd, 83 str, 90 accl, 89 tkl, 89 block shed), 89 OVR (88 spd, 84 str, 95 accl, 83 tkl, 89 block shed)
    MLB’s – 97 OVR (88 spd, 87 str, 93 accl, 81 tkl, 99 block shed), 85 OVR (89 spd, 90 str, 88 accl, 77 tkl, 84 block shed)
    FS’s – 92 OVR (88 spd, 98 accl, 94 tkl, 89 mcv, 90 zcv), 82 OVR (92 spd, 95 accl, 83 tkl, 82 mcv, 85 zcv)
    SS’s – 93 OVR (88 spd, 93 accl, 84 tkl, 83 block shed, 90 mcv, 99 zcv), 79 OVR (95 spd, 89 accl, 89 tkl, 86 block shed, 69 mcv, 84 zcv)

I’m really at a loss regarding what defense I should run with these guys, and the 4-3 wasn’t all that effective in my user games last year anyway. I’d really appreciate any input some of you guys who are defensive gurus may have.

Thanks in advance.

2. Fight'n Hokie

Fight'n Hokie Walk On

With that speed at LB and safety, I would go with the 3-3-5...what is their awareness like?

3. Dru50

Their AWR is as follows:
    OLB 1-53
    OLB 2-64
    MLB 1-89
    MLB 2-52
    FS 1-84
    FS 2-62
    SS 1-83
    SS 2-56

Yup, my defense and a bag of hammers have more than a little in common.

4. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

3-4 imo

I actually use the 4-3 on all of my teams, but the 3-4 is amazing once you get the play calls figured out.

I feel that the 3-3-5 is really, really easy to beat if you have a strong power running game or you know how to beat that defense through the air.

The 4-2-5 wouldn't make much sense if you have an overabundance of line backers. It's a solid defense, but your team needs to have some good speed in order for it to work. Honestly, it might not be a bad defense for you, you have some good safeties.

The 3-4 is just great if you have the linebackers to run it. The only real issue is that you will probably need to blitz to get pressure (but you'll get A LOT of it).

5. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Dru I had the same problem at the start of this release. I used 4-2-5 a lot last season, and was really only familiar with the 4-3 growing up playing football.

I just dove into the multiple D play book and havent looked back.

Try the multiple D pb out. make sure the 3 down lineman are your biggest and strongest guys, and you can formation sub some of your quicker DE's into OLB slots. The 3-4 is very good at stopping the run this year. I havent found the need for more than the (2) 3-4 formations multiple D comes with, and its always nice to have the 4-3 to fall back on.

6. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

How big are your DE's and OLBs? That's the key. In the 3-4 your DE's are more like DTs and need to occupy double teams and hold their ground on the edge. Plus you need a monster NT to hold the center to keep your LBs free in the 3-4.

I'd stay away from the 4-2, I used it last season in the experience cause I was loaded with safeties and had a few young LBs but it's very susceptible to the pass which is already tough enough to stop this season.

7. Dru50

I don't really have prototypical lineman for the 3-4, but I did move some smallish DT's to DE in preparation for it. I was thinking of going to the 3-4 mainly to get the best talent on the field, and my LB's are by far better than the DL.

Any thoughts to whether the Multiple playbook gives you enough varied looks so that you don't need the 5-6 formations available in the 3-4 playbook?

8. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

You don't need all of the formations in the 3-4 book unless you do a lot of formation subs. The altered 3-4 looks really aren't super different... but I do like having the varied formations more than using the multiple look with any playbook I run... It's all personal preference though.

9. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I think it's personal preference. I use the multiple book with UF in the experience because I have the personnel to use both systems. This way it allows me to put the right unit on the field for the situation.

Getting your best players on the field is definitely important. I think you've gotta consider injuries too though. The other thing I think that is important to consider is the other formation packages that come with the book. I can't recall them off the top of my head, but you get different nickel packages and in one of them you get the 4-4 instead of the 4-6 I believe.

I think it also depends on your competition. I used the 3-4 in the Deuce for a season and I played against some run heavy user teams and I couldn't stop them for the life of me. Granted I probably didn't have the defensive line I needed to use that system. If you play a lot of spread teams I think the 3-4 is the way to go. If you play a lot of pro style or run heavy guys I think you have to have something of a 4-3 look. Maybe you can get that with the 3-4 book and formation subbing in a DE at the sam or will spot. I was somewhat successful with this with Ronald Powell when he was a JR at UF.

The other thing to consider with going full bore 3-4 is your secondary. IMO that defensive scheme relies a lot on zone blitzes and well.....we know how well zone's work in this years game. So if your secondary isn't really good at zoning up that could be another problem.

10. Dru50

11. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

You'll get no help from me until after Week 2 :p

12. bamagrad

bamagrad Back to Back British Amateur Champion

I would go with either the Multiple playbook or run the 3-4 til u get the people in to bring back yr 4-3 defense.

13. ChaoticUT

ChaoticUT Life is Orange and White!

in the 3-3-5 and 4-2-5 is the extra DB a SS or FS?

14. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

15. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:
    I reccomend the 3-4. Just control the MLB and keep him close to the line of scrimmage. The zone blitzes CAN work wonders (extra emphasis on 'can' because some of them are terrible, and some of them you hit the QB before he knows what is happening, or force an easy INT). Also with the 3-4 if you run the cover 2, it does a decent job of guarding against the pass, along with some other plays in that playbook. Just make sure you hover near the line of scrimmage with the MLB. You DL should be capable of opening up holes for you MLB to get downhill and make plays.

16. Maximus21

Maximus21 BCS Chaos - Syracuse

I also would go with the 3-4. I have used it for a little over 4 seasons with my LSU squad and I don't regret it at all. If you have good coverage LB's to go along with the safeties you could conceivably stay in the base 3-4 vs 3 or 4 WR sets. I do that often and it has been effective. That definitely depends on the quality of the player and it is a case by case basis. Just know that the 3-4 is a lot of fun because it allows for a lot of creativity. Good luck.