Help me get my MLB more involved.

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by DirtycashDylan, Dec 31, 2010.

1. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

So here's the deal, I've got a 99 ovrl MLB with 73 speed. His other stats are great (90+ bsh, tkl, purs, power) but it doesn't translate on the field like it should. Vs the run, he doesn't get off blocks and is too slow to flow to the ball. Vs the pass, he obviously can't man up. I try throwing at him whole he's in a zone and he stands there like a statue until the ball is over his head. He's only 6' 220 so he can't play DE. Previous years, I'd pull him out in favor of a coverage lb in passing situations but I can't take out a 99 ovr for 81 ovr imo. Thoughts?

One thing I've been toying with is Tampa2 and laying devastating hits on WRs over the middle. But I can't play zone all game. Is there a Tampa2 look with man? Or is there any play where the Mike has a deep zone in a man coverage?

2. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

xGRIDIRONxGURUx GO DUCKS. WIN THE DAY.

what defense are you using? ill get you a list...

"E"

3. DirtycashDylan

4. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

cover one lets the mlb sit in a zone in the middle of the field. but is easy to beat with fast wr over the top because you will only have one safety over the top

5. DirtycashDylan

Thanks Nautica, but ifI pulled my MLB back to a deep zone in cover 1, I'd be covering the same area as the safety. For what I want, it would make sense to formation sub the MLB in at SS and play Cover2 man, but I want to do that naturally.

6. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

xGRIDIRONxGURUx GO DUCKS. WIN THE DAY.

you could get beat over the top just make sure you coach loose zone... and user spy middle stuff...

"E"

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I'd blitz him up the middle a bunch. It might not show up on the stat sheet, but accounting for him would probably lead to your D-line guys putting up some stats. Also, against 2 back sets, you can reverse the play direction to get the MLB assigned to the FB rather than the HB in man coverage, depending on how each team lines up pre-snap. You could also go 3-4 and use him as the run stopper in the middle.

It's tough, though. If the guys can't run, there's not a whole lot you can do with him. But I'd say you have to find a way to get him closer to the line rather than farther away. At a 99, he has to be able to get off blocks. He should be a beast.

8. DirtycashDylan

I'll be usering the MLb deep and just keeping everything in front. Then I'll bring the wood.

9. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Are you controlling him?

10. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

And here's JeRz with his 'its the sliders dude' take on the situation;). If you find a slider set where the offensive line can contain the defensive line for the most part your LBs will have opportunities to make plays. These are our defensive stats so far thru two games. Only our FSU @forever97 , Ohio State @benbuckeye , USC @bigtubb_ users play on the linebacker the entire game. I think @Jvigorous1 (Virginia Tech) does as well. The rest of us probably 'click' on the linebacker in the vicinity to make the tackle. One of these guys probably could give you some tips. I think forever damn near averages 100 tackles with his LBs year in and year out.

[​IMG]

11. DirtycashDylan

Yeah I probably will.

12. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I use my middle linebackers in a 3-4 scheme to stop the run, manual blitz and rarely to drop into a hook zone. In the 3-4 cover 2 man allows a mlb to be in a hook zone with two over the top so it is perfect for ad libbing a player. I am usually somewhere near the top of my league in tackles every year with this player.

13. DirtycashDylan

@carolinaeasy That's what I've been doing but he'd be better in a deep zone as it'd give me a chance to get him involved in the play. If I run a Cover2 Man look with the MLB in a hook zone and manually pull him deeper, I'm covering some of the same ground as the safeties. I'd like a Cover 3 look with the MLB covering the deep middle.

Another thing I may try is one of those plays with the MLB's hook zone being the only zone in the play and just usering the MLB in a deep zone, but with 73 speed that could be a problem. I'd just have to keep everything in front of me and hitstick the F out of them.

14. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

I had a similar issue trying to use Mark Herzlich of Boston College in a dynasty. You can set up the linebackers position in manual subs to have the slow guy on one side or the other. Say, put him on one side in the nickel and one side in a 3-2 front. Have him stay to the boundary side at all times and blitz him or have him cover the short field. Most people have the HB stay into block or do those short flat patterns, that a slower guy can cover if it's to the boundary.

15. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Why would you want a slow LB covering a deep third by himself?

Cover2 Man Spy and usering him or swapping him to a deep route seems like it would be a lot better than having him by himself up there.

16. DirtycashDylan

@KillerNuts if I user him deep and can keep the WRs in front of me, I turn his weakness (coverage ability) into a strength (hitting). I played around with it last game and had 3 FF. I'm also finding it easier to defend Counters and Tosses.

17. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

You can't just be happy with a 99 OVR?

18. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

That sounds like Tom Wort from Oklahoma. I use a Multiple with a heavy dose of the 3-4 and he had awesome stats for me.

19. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

My take would be... Try to have the line contain the strong side of the field and wide, and get him in the middle of things. Obviously, you don't want this slug assigned to the fullback flat route on a play action fake.

The difficulty about this game though is that the ratings don't always mean much.

If he had 99 BSH, 99 PMV, 99 FMV and couldn't get off a block to save his life - I'm taking him out! I notice the best players look at how the guys are playing on the field and make substitutions accordingly. They don't just play the best OVR guys.

20. DirtycashDylan

You are correct sir.

Funny you should say that. I lost my starting RB, Brennan Clay, in week 1 and proceeded to wreck shop with back up Jonathan Miller for the entire year. Miller has 93 speed, 98 acc and 99 agi. Clay finally becomes available just in time for the NC game vs @Mogriffjr and I decide to throw him in there while tied in the 4th quarter for his higher carry rating. He promptly fumbles and Griff is able to march down and kick the game winning FG.

I'll add I think it's important to look at production over ratings in the trenches more than other place. If a highly rated T can't pass block, he can't pass block.

21. DirtycashDylan

OK, new question for you guys who user a LB. How do you user cover? I find it impossibly hard to cover any route inside the box. The ball isn't in the air for very long and, unless you have an athletic MLB, you don't have the athleticism to get there.

So, do you read the receiver and try to jump the route when you feel the QB has thrown it or do you watch the QB and try to feel where the receiver is going peripherally?

In most plays, I'll hit the Y button after the ball has just sailed past my head.

22. Bl0ndeRedHead

For me, it's all about cutting out the passing windows. I can't man cover very well, so I only use LBs when I sit back in zone. And then, I read the receivers from the get-go, to see what routes they're running and the play I think is called, and from there I know the top 2-3 reads that people like to go to, and try and play underneath them. But mainly I keep my eye out for the receiver running across the middle of the field, that's where I get most of my user picks. I use LT(Strafe) heavily and you can hold down Y before the pass gets there and the LB will jump up and pick it when the ball arrives, you don't have to hit Y right as it gets there. I get about 90% of my user picks on guys who think they can hit the guy on the crossing route or drag routes over the middle. I've found if you can sit over the middle and wait on that receiver to break across the field, the user will still try to fit it in there, even with my LB sitting there in wait.

23. DirtycashDylan

sounds familiar. I threw that dig at you because I thought he was crossing your zone. You came down on him a little bit and bumped him out of his route and made the play. Well done sir. But to be fair, I'm used to throwing rainbows from years past when I had shitty receivers. Most users fire it in there.

Interesting about holding Y before the ball gets there. How early? I may have to play with that. I'm used to just roaming and showing a presence to dissuade users from throwing that particular route.

24. Bl0ndeRedHead

I'd say a second or so before the ball gets there. It's really a feel thing, I'd say mess around in practice mode to get a hang of it. It's kinda the same as holding down Y with your receiver before the ball gets there

25. Hokie Effect

Hokie Effect Whats a Hokie?

Works like a charm except for when you bump your own man into the reciever and get a pass interferance call [​IMG]