Help Me Out Here...

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Wick36, Jul 23, 2010.

1. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

Help Me Out Here...

Got beat by a lot against Troy... mostly due to drops, passes that are way off target, and my line not blocking on run plays. Some of that is to be expected since we're not very good teams.

I just played a game as Kent State against Boston College with the same set up we're using.

I lost 40 - 34. You might be thinking... well, that's not bad, you should probably lose that game. I can take a loss fine, but what I don't understand is this.

6 Interceptions, 2 of them off of dropped balls, 1 from a line backer who jumped out of nowhere, 2 errant throws from my quarterback, and 1 where I forced it because it was fourth down and there was a pass rush.

15 Dropped Balls - This number would be a lot higher, but it doesn't count as a drop if it hits a defensive players after (or before) it gets to your WR.

Their Quarterback went 22-25. Even if I blitzed 6-7, there was no rush. If If just used my lineman, they would fall to the ground every time they tried to do a spin move, or any other moves for that matter.

Their running back averaged over 5 yards a carry... and I was in a 4-4 for most of the game.

My FS had 18 tackles, because the first guy misses so many times.

Here our some highlights that show what I'm talking about

I get pressure, but he completes the throw anyway

Awful Throw
    Hits off of my guy's hands, then is intercepted
    WR is running a streak, he throws it way inside

I'm not saying that this is too hard, or to change sliders or anything (although I made this comment in the sliders thread)... but I want to know... what are you guys doing to avoid garbage like this from happening?... or is my team just that bad / I'm that unlucky?

2. QuietFool

QuietFool Walk On

Not sure about the drops, only thing I can say is the window for passes is much narrower this year. Unfortunately, without adjustments the CPU second can read your routes easily in MAN to MAN (Zone is okay), which results in them many time breaking on a route before your WR even makes his move. Sort of frustrating.

So just be extra careful when they are lined up in man I guess. Not that it helps a ton. I threw 4 picks last game, but most I knew I should not have even let go.

3. shibdib

shibdib In Nacho We Trust

like i said in the sliders thread, drops at the default level are wayyyy too common, u gotta bump up the pass catching a bit.

Alot of that can be fixed with sliders actually imo, not to the point where u win every game, but to the point where losses make sense.

4. Korenth

Korenth Walk On

I think alot of it is just the teams...I will agree that it seems very difficult to generate a pass rush on D and having to blitz enough people to generate one always seems to leave someone open.

Comments about the highlights:
    #1: Looks like TE#81 was on the block/pass assignment...which is an ideal place to throw when pressue gets in the QBs face since anyone covering the TE will probably have moved back in the field for zone coverage. Looked like the pass was kind of a lame duck pass that happened to make it..TE had to stop and scoop it up.

#2: Do you remember which WR you were throwing to? Looked like you had 2 WRs cutting across the middle at different depths. If the ball was going to the one in front, looked like to me he just forgot to jup for it...probably low awareness raiting causing that

#4 Looked like to me the WR ran a post route. The safties both droped back into zone and the SS(?) (the left most one from the QB perspective) Seemed to cheat in to the middle just as you were thowing it, so he had the jump on the ball...if that was a streak route...that was a very poorly run route.

As far as tips go...I play very conservitive, particuarly while I have a fairly poor team. Lots of run plays, most pass plays are quick slants so that if a INT happens, the whole team is around the ball for a tackle. On D....not much blitzing against higher rated teams...I'd much rather have the coverage, hope for tipped balls and not give up the big play.

New Mexico State had a big game against Arizona..maybe Envy can drop a few hints for those having issues.

Out of curiosity, is anyone setting the catching gameplan to conservative? That seemed to help me a bit. Even if my YAC are close to 0

5. EnvyZero

EnvyZero Walk On

I would say the main thing is running a balanced offense. If you pass alot your opponent will start to defend the pass better. If you run outside alot they will shut down outside runs, etc.

I set my running and catching to conservative. I still had 6 drops but not as bad as some other people. Seemed like every drop I had was when my player got tackled immediately after the catch.

Alot of routes don't get open very well against man this year. Drags are the most consistent but short yardage. Posts, Slants and fly routes can also get open some of the time. User catching makes it easier to get to the ball before the dbs can swat it.

Arizona was bumping my receivers on the line ALOT which was really annoying. You can counter that by putting your receiver in motion before you snap the ball.

6. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

2. It was going to the second guy, not the first.

4. He was running a streak, the QB just threw the throw in the middle so the WR had to go get it.

I can't run the ball when my running back is a 65 and my line lets at least 1 line man through every time. I tried. :(

I only blitzed on pass plays like 3 - 4 times. There were a few 3rd downs where I wanted to try and get pressure, because the CPU will snipe it almost every time if there's no pressure. The rest of the time, if nobody was open right away, there was almost always 9 seconds + before he had to move out of the pocket.

Most of my pass plays were drags / ins / outs... but after drops / bad passes / the play getting broken up / seeing a CPU big blitz coming / recognizing a Cover 2 I put some deeper routes in there.

It's just really frustrating when there's nothing I could have done differently in certain situations.

7. EnvyZero

EnvyZero Walk On

If you set your big hits and strip ball gameplan to conservative it will make your guys tackle better.

8. shibdib

shibdib In Nacho We Trust

honestly this will sound dumb.. where the hell is this gameplan thing? Is it in the main dynasty menu where u set how aggressive you are and what defense you run?

9. EnvyZero

EnvyZero Walk On

It's in game on offense or defense after you pick a formation and you are at the menu where you are picking your play. On the right side it will have a menu option that says (X) Gameplan. Press X and it will bring up the gameplan menu.

10. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I never change the gameplan thing, I think its kinda lame - let the ratings handle it themselves.

11. sreese

sreese Walk On

I have used the conservative catching a couple of times and found it makes a huge difference. That sucky wr will really catch it 3 out of 4 open pass instead of 1 out of 4!!!

12. ryalaman

ryalaman Walk On

I'll third or fourth the conservative pass catching game plan. I still had my fair share of drops and INTs thrown, but on the whole conservative is much more tolerable than balanced for me. Especially since my WRs arent anywhere near fast enough to actually break a big play after a catch.

13. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Tips: The computer destroys me if i use zone. I get lots of TO's and stops using various man coverages. Let the cpu players rush the passer. One route might get open if you can manually cover it, you are set. Cpu makes really bad choices when they can not find an open man. They will consistantly throw the ball off your defenders hands. ( or Int )