Help: Triple Option vs Users

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by GoGators, May 5, 2011.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Alright, I'm looking for some feedback here. The main reason I play NCAA every year instead of Madden is due to the option. I love to incorporate the option into my attack and it works against the CPU. However, when playing against USERS these play get destroyed at too high of a rate.

I typically run a spread option type offense and I've been somewhat successful running the triple option plays from the spread sets cause it allows you to spread out the defense. However, I've recently started trying to run the triple option from I-form and fleXbox One sets and while they work against the CPU, they are a waste of time against USERS. I know the speed options from under center work, but I'm not a big fan of those due to their label in the `10 game.

The problems I seem to run into is if running a triple option, the user controlled player can crash and beat me to the point of attack since my QB gets stuck in his animation for an unreasonably long time. Outside of that, if you do manage to hold the MLB with the FB fake and get outside on the option, the safeties crash so hard their in the backfield by the time you get to the edge.

So what's going on? Is there a secret to running the triple option from under center against USERs that I'm unaware of? Or is this aspect of the game just broken this year and I'm too stubborn to notice it?

2. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

I'll be closely monitoring this thread. I recently look over Georgia Tech in The Rise and went to practice with their playbook. I've used the Pistol formation for a while now so I figured I'd see how different the FleXbox One set was going to be. Simply put, it was terrible. I literally couldn't do a thing and for the same reason you pointed out, the animations. My QB is 86 speed with 87 ACC and it's like he's running in quick sand.

I'm actually surprised you found success running the triple option from the spread, I can't get anything to work there either. Maybe someone can chime in and give us a way to more effectively use these formations.

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

I think its just broken this year. Never had enough success to keep using it.

4. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

I think its just the way users play defense that makes it so ineffective.. as opposed to the CPU

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Last year I was good at it...haven't tried this year.

6. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

Overall, fleXbox One sucked this year. Spread attack was main focus. You don't get the correct reads. Backside de blows a lot of plays up. I could go on and on about this. Simply put stick to spread option attack, watch your formations against 3-4 cause blocking is messed up against it. Yes, Some plays work out of fleXbox One but not enough to be sim in my book.

I do think a lot of problems will be solved with the new collision system

• Like Like x 1
  7. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I have a friend who is able to use it pretty well in ranked matches... but it doesn't seem like the defenses behave like that in dynasty games. =/

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

If you can find a playbook with the reverse triple option that play tends to work, but mainly I use load and speed options and they can be somewhat effective. I've had 6-7 touchdowns in NCAA 11 where I run the option on the first play from scrimmage and get a 70+ yard TD.

9. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

I ran with the GT playbook for a full season and then ran another option (run balanced maybe?) can't remember.

But either way it was doo doo butter...I wouldn't recommend it to anyone that wants to run a capable offense.

10. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

I've been running Air Force's playbook for a while now, doing it i Gridiron Gladiators right now. If you want to score 100 points a game or get a specific guy his stats it's probably not for you. I use it to control the clock and it works fine, won a BCS game with it.

The key is to give to your fullback any time the outside guy doesn't crash. If he does crash then you have to really watch the next man and be willing to turn it up with your QB in the 5/6 hole. I wouldn't run it without two QBs. In fact I randomly went through my formations and changed my QB so that they auto sub in and out as I pick different formations. Towards the end of the year I put some more logic into what formations had which guy because I found that passing out of the formations was insanely effective against users.

11. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Thanks for the input guys. Sounds like the overall consensus is that this aspect of the game just doesn't work well when playing another user.

I think the biggest problem is there's no big payoff to the risk of the play. In real life, the play hits very quickly. In the game, especially vs users it doesn't. The MLB (typically user controlled) should be forced to stay home and honor his responsibility to the FB. If he doesn't and the DE doesn't crash, that play should go for 10+ yards right up the gut. Instead you usually get suction tackled by a DT or you run into and get stuck on the back of your own G/C. In the event the end crashes and you keep it well then you just end up getting beat to the edge by the MLB and safety crashing down from 10 yards deep.

Alright, looks like I'll stick to using the option out of the shotgun for the remainder of this launch. Thanks again for the insights guys.

12. jtthirtyfour

jtthirtyfour Walk On

i've had some success with the flex....usually either i am able to move the ball pretty well or else I am completely shut down. the key is knowing the playbook very well and being able to pass the ball. you can run a balanced 50/50 attack with the fleXbox One playbook if you are familiar with the passing plays in there. its definitely not as effective as it should be but i have had success gaining yards.

VS user guys will usually fly outside to stop the pitch leaving the dive and the QB keep open on the triple. playing against humans, you will see guys playing games with the 4-4 and a lot of dime with the DE's dropping back - you cant really run outside well against that so you need to just pound it up the middle and put the ball in the air to get them to knock it off.

Against users shutting down your outside running game I use the WB dive out of flex normal (WB goes in motion as if he's going outside but cuts it inside), some of the speed sweeps (if they spread to the outside there should be a crease underneath them off tackle), FB dive/midline with the FB give, also playaction with the TE or WB releasing down the seam. WB misdirection works to hurt a defense that is pursuing hard on the backside. there are usually also yards if you cut it upfield rather than always trying to get to the corner as guys often overpursue to the outside and play the pitch.

also remember on the triple option you can still give to the FB even if the DE/EMOL crashes down on the dive provided that you are using a formation that has a TE since the end man will often be too far to make the tackle on the dive. if you show early on that you're not just going to run triple and speed option outside all day then they'll usually play you straight up and mix up their defense, then it's just a matter of keeping the defense guessing as to where you're running the ball.

I think on an average game I probably only run the triple option maybe 7-8 times a game and most of those are FB gives, I also don't run a lot of plays out of the flex normal, close, and twins over formations...try to mix it up with the TE sets, twins WR sets, unbalanced lines, etc. I don't get into the 3WR sets as much as I would like but I dip a lot into the split x and z (1WR/1TE/1FB/2HB), unbalanced twins, wing-twins, and split-twins (all 2WR/1TE/1FB/1HB). the formations with only one wingback you will see guys heavily defend the side opposite the wingback so you need to be able to pass and also run plays towards the WB.

you wont be able to average 40 pts a game with the flex but i think it's the most unique and enjoyable offense to run in the game, its challenging to run but very satisfying when you see the other guy start to get frustrated that he can't stop the run game. just remember to be patient you are going to get a lot of 2 yard runs but eventually you'll break a long one if you stick with it.

• Like Like x 3
  13. BigBodySS

BigBodySS Shake N' Bake!

Great info, I'm going to get into the lab and try some of this stuff. Thanks for the contribution

14. Slaticus

Slaticus Walk On

I have had a tremendous amount of success with it offline. I can blow out just about every AI team. Human users do give me trouble though.

15. Bornthreat

Bornthreat Walk On

Option vs cpu: is BS...cpu calls the most stupid defense and you just run to the outside every other play. Not skill related nor is it the triple option.

Option vs User: Thats right its harder!! lol Cause a user won't run a stupid man-2-man defense with no outside protection. But the reason the option is not successful vs users is because most people don't run the option, they run the "run-fast-qb-to-outside-and-pitch-play" which honestly my 8yr old can run. But the true option Works, but not by itself. The game lacks the proper blocking, because a lot of times you should get 4 yds when you only get 1. But lets say your in a Iform triple opt set, the key is the FB dive, QB off tackle/guard (this is done by user), reverse, and counter; these plays open up everything else INCLUDING the pas to the TE. If you know how to read defenses, you can dissect someone's interior defense and once you do your favorite "load option" is ready and waiting. I've been very successful at this but I had to stop, because once you start beating people by running a TRUE (I repeat TRUE) option which: kills the clock, pisses off your opponent as you 3-5 yd gash him to death, and run it vs any defense they throw at you.............................people start crying and saying that the option is cheese. Which is followed by quitting or complaining, and lots of crying.:confused::( lol So it's kind of a lose-lose situation. But if all you do is speed/load option then yes, you WON'T be successful vs an experienced user.