Help with internet connection with another member

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by BDSDIGITAL, Aug 6, 2010.

1. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Help with internet connection with another member

Let me run this by you guys. Anyone ever have this type of issue?

I've never had a problem connecting to anyone here until about two weeks ago.

I got new internet a few weeks ago and they sent me a modem. When I set the modem up I connected everything, reset the wireless router (Linksys) then after I had established a relationship between the router and the modem I went back into the router and re encrypted it but didn't change anything else. As far as I know before I reset the router it was basically already at factory default settings except for the encryption anyway. I then set my network settings in the xbox up for the new network (change the actual network name and entered the encryption code).

Everything worked fine for a few days. I played a few unranked games with Dru and someone else (maybe Perry) that next weekend even.

Then all of a sudden that same weekend I was in a party chat with Dru, Perry, and Bondzai and Bondzai left. The second he left that party, I got kicked out and couldn't reconnect to it with Dru and Perry in it. I just chalked it up to the servers acting gay. But every time I tried to connect to a party chat after that, or tried to accept a party invite I couldn't connect. It would just say "can't connect to party, there might be network problems" or something to that effect. Then a few nights later I tried to connect to Beazus for a game and we couldn't connect at all. I went back into my router and unchecked the "block anonymous internet requests" button thinking that might have been the cause. The next night we were able to connect no problem, but he also plugged his xbox directly in to his router for that game and we played it no problem. Then the next night I connected with Hokie Effect for a game and it worked no problem. Then the next night I tried to connect to a party chat and was let in, but no one could hear me and I couldn't hear them. Thinking my problem was solved with the network I went and bought a new Mic thinking my mic took a shit on me. I used the new mic and was able to get into a party chat with Twist and Brave, but then as soon as Perry got in I couldn't connect anymore and my mic started coming in and out. As soon as Dru came into that same party I got disconnected and couldn't reconnect. Dru and I tried to play a game that night several times and couldn't connect at all.

a. Isn't that the most f*cked up thing? If you notice the major problems happened right after I got my internet installed, and only really with the two guys that were in the initial party chat when I started having my problem.

b. WTF? Is there a solution to this? Does anyone that is more technically saavy than I **cough Bondzai **Shaun** cough ** have a good solution to this?

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    It's probably a NAT related issue. The new Xbox dashboard only tells you if it's not open, but it can still cause issues.

Couple of questions:
    1. Can you wire directly to the modem (set Xbox to do IP/DNS automatically) and have no problems?
    2. If Y to #1, continue, If N, call your ISP
    3. Hardwire from router to Xbox, set Xbox to do IP/DNS automatically. Turn on uPnP on your router. Can you connect? If so, continue.
    4. Try wireless now. It should work.

If step 3 fails, you can try to set your Xbox to a static IP and port forward to it, OR DMZ to the static IP.

What Linksys model is it, I can help with specifics if necessary.

3. BDSDIGITAL

Interesting.

I haven't tried taking the router of of the equation and going direct from modem to xbox. Where do I go to set the ip/dns to automatic in the xbox? I wonder why it wouldn't be that way by default. upnp is turned on in the router, I checked that too when I unblocked anonymous requests. I wanted to avoid any port forward, mainly because it can be a monster sized pain in the ass sometimes. I'll check the ip/dns settings in the xbox when I get home. Thanks.

Oh, I can't remember exactly which one it is but it's a linksys wrtg54 I think. It's a standard 54g router though, nothing fancy.

4. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

I'm to lazy to read all that, but I saw linkysis so this is my solution I typed up for someone else last week

turn on xbox and connect to live

click or copy and paste this into your browser - 192.168.1.1

login should be admin and password admin or no pass at all

login

click on Status
    click on Local Network
    click on DHCP clients table
    get the IP address for your xbox, it might have a name, but mine is blank
    go to Applications
    & Gaming
    click on DMZ
    click enable
    type in the last 3 digits of that IP.
    save settings

restart xbox

5. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

Could be the firewall in the modem also. I had that problem. What is the brand of the modem? You can set up your router perfectly and it still won't work if the modem is blocking your connection to some players. if that is the case, you will have to bridge your modem.

6. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    You get it working?

7. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Im having connection issues now with players that I didnt have problems with before this little patch.

I have an old router though. If I hardwire the connection it fixes the problem.

8. BDSDIGITAL

Actually kinda.

I first tried Super Bowl Nachos advice and that didn't work, then I plugged it directly to my modem and I was able to join a party with Bravejaf, Perry and Dru. Dru's status was away and I am pretty sure someone else was the party host. I then turned the box off and went about my business for a few hours. I came back and had it plugged into my router (since my cpu and my xbox share the same modem/router) and to hook directly into my modem with my xbox I have to take my cpu offline. So I tried to hook back up with Dru and Perry in a party and couldn't connect. I then plugged back into my modem directly and still couldn't connect to the party, and I couldn't connect with him for a game.

Later last night I was in a party with a bunch of guys but not Dru and I connected just fine.

So at this point it really seems that it's isolated to Dru50.

I'm sure it's a problem on my end, but there's something about his connection and my connection that are not agreeing.

The sound issues I was having have to do with my controller, mic, and chat pad that I have attached to it.

When I plug my old mic, into my crappy black gamestop controller it works great. But my brand new $20 microsoft brand mic has a short in it, and there's either something wrong with my good white microsoft controller and the microsoft chat pad. So that's all un related.

I don't know what to do about it either. I know if I call my isp they will tell me it's user error. Maybe I'll call xbox technical support tonight.

What do you think? Thanks for checking on that! I do appreciate the advice and if you have more advice I'm all ears!(y)

9. BDSDIGITAL

I have a feeling this is the issue.

10. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Yeah, this is odd. BDS and I connected as recently as two weeks ago in an unranked game with no issues. Currently, I've only had this issue with him, but I think Papa Perry and Maxattax34 had the same thing come up in an unranked game the other night.

11. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I had some problems so I opened up TCP port 3074 and UDP ports 88 & 3074 on D-link after reading several forums. I have not had any problems since.