Help with my P.O.S. Xbox

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by Bondzai, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Help with my P.O.S. Xbox

So a while back my xbox starting giving me problems with the video cutting out. Then eventually it got to the point where the video quit working all together. I turn it on and can hear everything but can't see a damn thing.

So I borrowed my Dad's xbox, which he never used, and now after using it for a couple of months I get the RROD.

My question is have any of you ever experienced the video problem and can it be fixed without sending it in? It costs $100 to get it fixed and I think you can get a brand new Xbox Arcade version for $150. It seems like the only problem with the Arcade version is the small hard drive. Do you know if I can use the same hard drive from my 360 on a new Arcade version?

2. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    The hard drive should fit. My hard drive fit onto the Elite I bought a weeks ago w/ no problem. If you can manage the extra 50 it may be best to get the new console while they are getting rid of the arcades in stuck. Just my 2 pennies.

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Does your xbox have the componenet out and the HDMI out? Do both of them not work?

4. bigrice25

bigrice25 Walk On

are you sure its out of warranty?? when you enter the info on xbox.com it will show 100$ until you pick RROD or E74, then the bill goes to zero. It even will show the warranty as being up (the red circle).

i have bought a couple RROD xboxs from guys off craigslist who thought their warranty was up, but it wasn't.

If not, there are ways to repair it, I would just get a new one though........

5. Bondzai

When I use the HDMI cable, I don't get sound or video.

6. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

You can put your hard drive on the arcade, I had to do that when mine died. I also fixed my old one so that the wife can stream netflix in the other room with it but it goes red rings every month or so and I have to fix it again.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    This is exactly why I have a new Xbox 360 Slim on reserve at Gamestop. I'm trading in my launch day 360 whenever they get them back in stock.

8. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

What people dont know is the Slims still get RROD, Xbox just made it a GROD...they removed the red led's because it was giving them bad press. Its been reposted they dont know how to really solve the dying xbox problems.

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I'm interested...where can I read more?

10. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

i have to find the website again, was comparing the slims vs elites

11. JDBattleMC

JDBattleMC Order in the Court

12. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

thought i read the new ones can actually detect when they're about to overheat and give you an error message before shutting down to protect themselves?

13. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I've read this also. I would like to see some defect rate or something before people start saying "it's the same thing".

14. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

here is what you do, If the box is within 3 years of purchase date, wrap it up in a towel and let it run for about 20mins to a 1/2 hour. stand it up on end while running(make sure there is no disc in the tray) and slap the bottom of it until you get the 3 lights or the E74 error. You call up send it in and get yourself a refurbished Xbox. Make sure you are not hitting the bottom too hard though.

15. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I'd have to imagine its all set, since the Elites and newer Xboxes haven't had the same issues. Plus with a big ass hard drive in there you should be running any games you're playing a ton off the hard drive - saving energy and heat by not running the disk drive the whole time.

I'm in the same boat though. I'll pick up the new one in a few months after making sure they're not busted (and good luck getting one now anyway - supposedly they're sold out all over the place).

16. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Sounds like a user error on the video hookups.....check the settings.

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks to get mine from Gamestop...while the local K-Mart has them sitting there.

18. Bondzai

[​IMG]

19. Bamaboiking

Bamaboiking Walk On

20. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
  21. Bondzai

I'm back in business. I picked up a refurb elite at Gamestop for $110.