Help

Discussion in 'Tradition Racing' started by GoGators, Jul 6, 2011.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Figured I'd pick up Forza 3 so I could get some practice in and hopefully start racing with you guys sometime. Had a couple questions that hopefully you guys can help out with though:

1 - What assists do you guys use when racing?

2 - Which view do you typically use? If cockpit view, have you set the angle to 62 degrees or have you found something else that works better?

3 - WTH, did I buy the European version? Why is the drivers side on the right for all my cars? All the pictures I'm seeing online they're on the left. Is there a way to change this? It's weirding me out.

Thanks for the help.

2. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hey man I use the braking line and that is it. If it was just one car and one braking point to remember it would be one thing but we race all classes etc. You might be racing in a C class car one minute and then in an R2 the next, it's impossible to remember braking lines for them all, and frankly the graphics on the side of the road are not clear/good enough at high speed to really pick out markers on every corner.

Most of them make the car slower. However, one exception is ABS. A lot of the very top times have been done using it. Allows you to jam on the brakes and get maximum stopping power, also good if you just have a lead "finger" because frankly nothing is worse than losing traction in the braking zone.

2: I use cockpit and the reason for it is maximum enjoyment of what they have put in the game. They recreated all the interiors, so I want to see them. It's also the one that looks best to my eye. However, maybe the best is the hood view. I am staunchly against "behind the car" views.. You need to know where the front of your car is pointed very precisely to run good laps. The ass end of the car provides feedback you can "feel" and don't need to see.

3: The steering wheel is on the side of the car that it really would be in real life. Most of the japanese cars are the japanese version of that car and therefore have steering wheels on the right. Porsche, Ferrari, BMW and the like are all on the left IIRC... You get used to it really quickly, in fact I prefer it on the right lol.

• Like Like x 1
  3. DirtyDawg73

DirtyDawg73 Walk On

Same as Hellisan, though up until recently I was using ABS and braking line with all cars and traction control on anything above A Class. I'm now running with just the braking line with everything and my times are dropping pretty quick (with everything but the R1's)

I run cockpit view as well. To be honest, I didn't know you could change the viewing angle. I'll have to look at that later.

What Hellisan said regarding the steering wheels. It used to freak me out, but now I usually don't even notice.

4. GoGators

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm currently using ABS. I may try it without that one. What about these ones though:

Traction control - Y/N
    Shifting - A/M
    Damage, fuel, & tire wear - I assume simulation

2 - I finally figured out how to get to the cockpit view and it's so much better. It makes it more intense and realistic. I used the rear view for a while but I hated seeing the way the ass of the car wiggles around.

3 - This is what I thought, but the Ford Focus they give you screwed me up since it was a right hand drive. I guess it's a Japanese spec edition.

One other question, is there any way to tune the steering? It feels like the analog stick is too touchy. For example, it feels like if I push the analog stick halfway, I'm turning the car at the maximum. Therefore when I want a slight adjustment I get too big of a turn from the car. Is there any way to tone this down a bit? Or do I just have to keep logging time to get a better feel for it?

5. DirtyDawg73

DirtyDawg73 Walk On

Try it without traction control first. If you find yourself spinning out a lot you may need it on.
    Shifting, I use manual w/ clutch. In the controller settings (through the Profile section) there is an option to swap the handbrake and clutch. This moves the clutch to the A button. Then when shifting you just have to mash the A and B or X to shift.
    Whenever I've run with Del, we normally run full simulation.

To adjust the steering, I believe you to to Profile > Controller > and maybe advanced(?). Set the inside deadzone to minimum and the outside deadzone to maximum. Should make it less twitchy.

BTW, one of the only good things about moving out of Florida is Corrine Brown is no longer my rep...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5tXMLI-OsI

6. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

I'm new as well so I'd figure I'd pop in with a question. Is there an advantage to running with the clutch? I've been thinking about switching it on since I already run manual anyway.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Get a wheel, get frustrated as all hell, be like Shaun.:)

8. s n g

s n g Walk On

it is better if you use the clutch, but swap the buttons about so your clutch is the A button so much easyer presing A an B and A an X then the standard option.

9. DirtyDawg73

DirtyDawg73 Walk On

Let's put it this way. When I switched to using a clutch I wound up changing my gear ratios because I was redlining on most straights. Plus, you save a few PI not having to upgrade the clutch pack.

10. GoGators

I WILL NOT buy a wheel! However, I vote your new avatar pic should be a shot of you sitting on the couch, hunched over your wheel, with a stern & focused (read: constipated) look on your face while racing.

Thanks for the other feedback though guys.

11. lilmaggie

lilmaggie Rocky Top Tennessee

I am new as well. I recently started playing Forza 2 and think it may be the coolest game I've ever played. I'm not sure of anyone still plays F2. I guess my question is, should I get F3 and jump in or is F2 a better game. I would like to race with you guys some if I improve some.

12. GoGators

Just an fyi, I grabbed a preowned Forza 3 at gamestop for $25 and they had new copies for $29. Also, Forza 4 drops 10/11/11 so depending on how tight the budget is you may want to wait.

13. lilmaggie

Hello GoGators, how have you been? Yes I called Gamestop and they said they have used copies for $25. I think I will pick up a copy, especially if there are some SIM racers on here. I'm terrible but I really like to play the game.

14. GoGators

I'm good, getting married this month so quite busy. I'm glad to see you around. How have you been?

It's definitely worth the $25. I haven't raced with anybody here yet, but I'd imagine I'll fall into the terrible category as well. It should be fun trying to get better at this game though.

15. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Post a lap time that you can hit pretty consistently on Laguna Seca in A class STI or WRX and we will let you know how far off you are.

List the assists you are using as well.

16. Dylema

Dylema Walk On

I picked up a wheel second hand but it hates froza games. I liked it on f1 but for some reason on froza it auto breaks when I lifted off the gas and locks the wheels.

17. lilmaggie

I got F3 a couple nights ago. I will post some lap times so you guys can tell me how bad I really am.

18. GoGators

Make sure you start with no assists on! I started with a couple of them on and got used to them, now I'm trying it without them and it's very different (much more difficult!).

19. GoGators

Question for you Forza pros.

I've got to the R3 championships and I bought an M3 from auction. I tried racing it without any assists on I couldn't even get the damn thing past the starting line w/o it spinning out. What's the problem here? How do you guys overcome this?

Also, what's the deal with the CPU? I've had a few races that I just couldn't complete and I'd restart and hire a driver. The driver drives the car in a way that doesn't even seem possible to me using the controller. The cpu drives it so smooth and doesn't spin the tires at all. Me on the other hand, any turn I try to come out of I'm spinning and spinning or the steering is so twitchy the car darts all over the place. What gives?

20. drwfan99

drwfan99 Walk On

Your answer to both questions - Throttle Control. It takes a while to get it, but the triggers are just like your pedals in real life. Punch the pedal all the way down with that much power in the engine and all you'll get is burnt rubber. Take a car out for hotlaps and try holding a certain speed throughout an entire course (say, 100mph). It gets you to work on throttle control.

Your tires only have so much traction, which can be divided into three categories. Acceleration, turning, and braking. If you use half of the traction to turn and are still punching the gas 100% through corners, your tires will break out from under you and you'll find yourself in a wall in no time. To understand this a little more, take your car down a straight, punch the brakes as hard as possible and try to turn. You'll probably find you can't at all really.

21. GoGators

drwfan99

Thanks for the help. I knew this stuff before but the 100% thing really helped drive it home. I was able to finish my first R3 series race with no assists in 3rd place. I had to move the difficulty back to medium though. And I'm still using the reverse feature more than I'd like, but I am getting better.

22. DirtyDawg73

DirtyDawg73 Walk On

Sounds like you're making progress. If/when you hire a driver, you'll see the ABS, TC, etc lights fluttering off and on throughout the race. Just because you turn off the assists doesn't mean the CPU isn't using them.

23. GoGators

Haha, I did notice that. The CPU's a cheating whore! I think my favorite so far is if you run into them they are on rails and barely even lose traction. But if they run into me, I don't stop spinning until their coming back around on the next lap. Bastids!

The CPU drivers have given me a confidence boost at times though. Sometimes they'll finish 4th in a race with all their assists on when I could have done that with none of them on.

A couple keys I've noted so far that seem to make a huge difference:

1 - knowing the track is huge. Anticipating the course rather than reacting to it is a completely different experience.
    2 - you have to make a conscious effort of not looking at where you are, but where you're going (i.e. the next turn)
    3 - it takes time to get smooth on the throttle/brake

24. DirtyDawg73

DirtyDawg73 Walk On

Ahhh. Good grasshopper. Very, very good. All 3 of those are critical. Having used ABS and TC up until recently, I can tell you that running a few laps at a twisty track in an R1 with all assists off really gets you in the groove as far as throttle management.

Any time you just want to turn some laps, let me know. Every now and then I'll just hot lap Fujimi or Nordschleiffe to unwind.

(y)

25. drwfan99

drwfan99 Walk On

1.) To expand on this - knowing the layout is good, but knowing where turn-in/turn-exit points are for each turn can help a ton. Aim just past the apex of the corner and hit the throttle at that point. At most real tracks, there is something marking the apex of the corner (a cone, usually).
    2.) Indeed.
    3.) Gradual increases of the throttle and brake are usually best. Especially when braking, be sure not to lock the tires up at all if possible. They have more traction while they are rolling than when they aren't (its a physics thing).

Also, following the computer cars for a lap or two without attempting to pass them can help you to find the racing line for a course, if you have any of the race line assists off.

Keep up the improvements, sounds like its going well and fast for you. (y)