Here Is Where I Stand Right Now (As Well As Some M25 Info)

Discussion in '12th Man Football' started by LtJustice, May 7, 2013.

1. LtJustice

LtJustice QSF Commissioner

Guys, let me first clarify something, I DO NOT consider the current format ideal by any stretch. I think it is obvious that a 32 user league (with the right 32 owners) is the most desirable format. But i also believe that having a successful 32 user league at this stage of M13 is an impossible dream.

As I have said before, the latest reduction of user teams was an attempt to salvage what we could for 12th Man in M13 and hopefully revive the league somewhat. But, as I have also said, a league can only be as good as it's owners choose to make it. I have heard from a few people now that have said we should just be happy at this stage that games are getting played, but I have to disagree.

One clear example of the lack of current interest, is in the last FOUR Madden weeks we have had just ONE game recap done. Obviously, in the current format, there are far more sims than played games, but there HAVE been played games.

Now me personally; I will play Madden year round, in some form or fashion. Whether it is just running a personal CCM like some of the guys have been doing in the Madden Football thread, or continuing the current 12th Man CCM with even a handful of like minded individuals. I understand that some guys can't get into anything less than playing another human opponent week in-week out, and I get that, but I do enjoy the team building and anticipation of the rare user game in the current format.

I have no problem moving forward with our current format, and will look forward to the occasional user game, but it's clear that some didn't really realize what you were signing up for when you elected to continue.

So basically, with a few weeks of the current format under our belts, the question I pose is this; Is anyone else actually into the current format, especially as our user numbers continue to drop? Like before, if you are not, no hard feelings. I just want to make sure I am not just entertaining myself here.

-------------------------------------------------------

Also, on a side note, I have had numerous guys inquire with me, looking for insight as to the future of 12th Man Football with M25 on the horizon. To be perfectly honest, I have yet to decide if I am up to the task of taking the helm following Doug's departure. While I have received multiple offers of support in the role, I am still appraising my availability/desire to assume such responsibility. However, if there is anyone else that feels they are ready to step into the main commissioner role, don't let me stop you from speaking up.

-------------------------------------------------------

Thanks,

~Jim

2. CaptMoe

CaptMoe Walk On

I'm here to stay as long as I'm welcome, Jim.
    And I also would like to offer my support. Looking back over this season of Madden, you have done a LOT of work behind the scenes. Work that I, as I'm sure others, greatly appreciate. I hope you decide to take the helm because you obviously share the same goals as Doug. As I have stated before, I may not always agree with the decisions made but, I will accept them because I know you guys do what you feel is best for the league, not just yourselves...

• Like Like x 2
  3. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Well said, Jim. I will continue with whatever is decided for M13. You know you will always have my support. ;)

• Like Like x 3
  4. cry_havoc

cry_havoc Walk On

Same... ill be grinding till M25.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Thanks for the words Jim...and I agree...at this time of the year...I look fowrard to team building and occasional user game

now and Madden 25...again...two different beasts

Thanks Jim!(y)

• Like Like x 3
  6. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

Jim I applaud everything you and Douglas has done for this league. I will gladly throw my name in the hat for Commish duties. As I stated b4 I have a lot of free time on my hand. I will chat more in depth with you this weekend.

• Like Like x 2
  7. hoodiii

hoodiii Walk On

I think we can make this a group effort.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Gutcheck64

Gutcheck64 Walk On

I agree a group effort is the way to go.that way not one or 2 guys are doing all the work and being over burdened and burned out and would make the workload less taxing and stressfull

• Like Like x 1
  9. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

I have to wonder out loud, some of the people that are talking about stepping up... have been some of the lower members on the totem pole as it relates to: the forums and/or the league and overall activity. As one of the first year members, there may be plenty I don't know in the way of league history or things behind the scenes. What I do have a fairly good grasp on, is what members are present and available and active on the message boards. When seniority comes at the expense of favoring owners that are ghosts just b/c of tradition...you can run into problems. A league is only as strong as its members. I can say this...I really enjoyed the league this year, and I particularly enjoyed the leadership at the top and the way things were handled decisively and with thought. I appreciate the ability to be forward thinking and to steer the ship in a very clear direction.

This is one of the best league experiences I've encountered. I look forward to being an active/dedicated/reciprocating owner...in a great league for Madden 25...however or with whoever that shakes out. I have appreciated the opportunity to join the 12th man. I have no doubt I have made friends here, and will be sharing many a Madden game with many of you guys for Madden titles to come.

• Like Like x 2
  10. hoodiii

hoodiii Walk On

I am curious as to what you mean by lower members on your totem pole. If guys are offering to step up and help keep this league going after a longtime commissioner is stepping down is a bad thing not sure where you are coming from.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

I

12. thafuture3886

thafuture3886 Power Rankings Analyst

I think Michael was just trying to say if guys that weren't as active in whatever fashion it may be (playing games, forum activity, etc) this release when they were just simply an owner than how would one expect them to be or have faith that they will be active if they were to be a part of managing the league as a commish? I'm not currently in the league so my opinion may not mean as much and Michael if I misinterpreted your comment feel free to correct me.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

Curtis echos my thoughts succinctly and accurately...I appreciate it

• Like Like x 1
  14. hoodiii

hoodiii Walk On

So he believes the people that are volunteering in his opinion based on some criteria I have yet to decipher should not be looked at to help carry on the league.

15. thafuture3886

That i can't 100% answer. However, from my being in the league 3-4 years i've noticed as a commisioner you have to be readily available at all times to deal with league issues, complaints or what have you. I'm not calling anybody out but some guys aren't the easiet to get a hold of which could pose a problem if they were running the league. Take Doug for example, this guy was available almot anytime any day and was always there to answer a question or deal with a league issue that came up. Same goes for Jim and Eddie. How would you feel if there was an important league matter that had to be put on hold because you couldn't reach a certain person? Again, i'm not calling anybody out just trying to look at it from another perspective so that if we do continue this thing for M25 we have the best choice(s) possible to lead us and not just anybody who has volunteered to step up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hoodiii

hoodiii Walk On

So how do you get the best choice(s) to lead the league going forward? The 1st thing that needs to be done is being willing to step up.

• Like Like x 2
  17. thafuture3886

That is true but it also needs to be someone that is easily accessible and has the time needed to run the league. How we figure that out, I dont know

18. Michael Overman

Michael Overman Walk On

What I know: Running a 32 man league with members composed of different shapes, sizes, backgrounds, locations, and opinions...is immensely difficult. It takes a selfless and energetic person.... an active and attentive individual, with an uncanny ability to multitask. The person must be strong enough in his convictions to believe and be consistent in the decisions they make, as well as have the ability to take criticism and suggestions.

What I believe: I believe people underestimate what is necessary to run a successful 32 man league and all that comes with it. I believe when you only know a person so well, all you have to have to judge them by is their past actions...until more time passes.

While it seems some may have taken my words as negativity...I regret that ...My words were meant to convey...a grounded sense of realism and productivity... with what I felt to be a meaningful and reasonable thought

• Like Like x 2
  19. hoodiii

hoodiii Walk On

That should have been the original post

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gutcheck64

Gutcheck64 Walk On

I love how guys who have been around a fraction of the time that most of us have been around are going to try and tell people what the standard is.its insulting and if u can't see that there is a problem

• Like Like x 1
  21. thafuture3886

But what does me being around less time than you have to do with anything? Aren't we all playing by the same league rules or am I mistaken? So I guess since I haven't been around as long as you I shouldn't have a say? Now THAT is insulting, especially since we've been operating with the premise that every owner/voice is important

• Like Like x 2
  22. ThaBayouChef

ThaBayouChef Walk On

Doesn't, or didn't, this league have a chain of command for at least the first 2-3 seasons of M13? With conference, and even divisional, "spokes-people"? If that is the case, shouldn't one of them (upon willingness of course) be able to step up into a co-commisioner role alongside Jim? Assuming he continues this league going forward, because it's pretty obvious already that if Jim goes next, the league goes.

23. dablakpope

dablakpope Walk On

Well gents in reference to all this back and forth, I say this. I have been arou d since we were doi g this on ps2 as the UMFL. I'm not gonna get into a whoVs more appropriate to lead or not. But I am willing to apply the time needed and all that know me know that I love to talk trash to excite the league and get a little bru haha going. I personally believe that I am fair and stern enough to run this league. But as we all know it takes help and good owners which we have in this league. There is no need to get up in arms about someones comment. We all are allowed to make our point of view heard. Lets concentrate on the main goal of keeping this league running as smoothly as possible and as the best league out there hands down regardless of who the commish is.

• Like Like x 5
  24. thafuture3886

25. klaximilian

klaximilian Walk On

Someone who loves the this league, it's members, and the game of Madden will step up. I can't say who, but I don't think you've seen the last of 12th Man (or whatever it will be called moving forward)

• Like Like x 2