Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by CoachWest, Oct 8, 2010.

1. CoachWest

CoachWest Walk On

Sep 22, 2010

After the first few weeks here, I am reminded of my path to OMFL and through online Madden play in general.

For those of you who haven't talked to me personally, I am very competitive person. I see online str8 play as an evolved game of Online Madden play and welcome the restrictions it brings. Much like how the NFL Competition Committee toughens the rules every year I treat leagues like the OMFL, as an evolved version of the game.

That being said, it doesn't mean I'm not willing to loose. Being competitive to me just means you strive to WIN, but take your losses as a stepping stone to Win even more. One specific situation I am reminded of is my Rivalry with a guy named Chadster.

Back in the old PC leagues, Chadster was a VERY seasoned and good player. He would regularly be challenging for league championships. On top of that he was a HUGE BRONCO FAN (This was like salt in a wound for this Raider Fan) and just seemed to have my number. For some reason, even though at the time I was a mid-skill player, whenever we played, I just got freakin SPANKED!! So for awhile I just dreaded our games, I saw him on the schedule, and would get myself jacked up and ready to go, then would fall flat on my face and take 3 games thereafter to recover. At one point I finally came down to slowing down the game, and just limiting how bad I got beat by running the ball and clock out hoping he would make a huge mistake and give me an oppourtunity to win.... Sadly even this stradegy only affected the overall score and not the result. So then something finally happened...

I realized at that time what all of us seasoned players learn. Good players evolve with their opponet. They don't just keep doing the same thing week in and week out, they test the waters, and use your "Game" against you. At the same time, I realized that I was too consumed worrying about what I was doing wrong, and rarely observed what Chadster was doing right.

For you Greenies, this is what I observed when I finally opened my eyes.

1)Shut down what they do best - Guy's we all pick up tendicies, and when who you are playing REALLY show theirs you have a First Class ticket to their game. Find the Player, Find the Route, Find the Situation and CAPITALIZE.

2)BEWARE of what you get good at - When you start winning, you start drinking that Kool-Aid and alll of the sudden... you stop growing. Even when you find something that is working, you better do something else anyway. Once you pick up the key play or the key route, a good player will sniff you out and set you WAYYYY off of your game.

3)Want to get better, play someone BETTER! - This is where I finally learned to lose like man. Anytime I get into a league, I am always looking to scrim that top guy. Even if he beats me, I am learning everytime. What do I learn 1) What is working in that league and 2) What tendicies have I picked up. All to often we play locally, or with mid competition and forget what it takes DURING the game to win.

When I lose I may kick the rocks, get all puffed up, and even whine a little. However, losing is a part of the game... If you do the right things with it.

Hey Chadster, Thanks for the Memories and lessons you taught, by learning the advantages of losing, I became a more consistent winner :)
  2. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Oct 8, 2009

Need a definition of that please. ;)
  3. Big D

Big D Walk On

Oct 8, 2009

Haha j/k. I smell a serious smack down coming from somebody on me. . .just a matter of when.