Hey computer experts.....

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Mar 21, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Hey computer experts.....

Please advise...

I have a nearly brand new computer (but relatively cheap) with almost nothing on the hard drives, and it isn't used for gaming or any other nonsense, just work.

I noticed that the computer seems to get "tired" after being on for a certain length of time. I think it's all the fancy graphics in the newer operating systems. That, and the combination of me having dual monitors? I'm assuming this isn't a "lack of ram" issue but I wanted to verify it with you guys.

Even if I just turn the machine on and do nothing, then come back an hour later it's running slow. So I'm thinking that when it gets hot it struggles to digest all the graphics shit for the dual monitors?

My attempt at a fix was to go into my computer and change the graphics settings to best performance, which makes this look like Windows 97 but hey who cares....We'll see if this works.

Let me know what you guys think.

2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Does this happen even if you don't run anything besides what runs on startup?

Is it Windows 7?

3. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

It sounds like there is some process running in the background.

4. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

Windows 7 has a performance test you can run to see where each component stands. Also what kind of virus protect you have on that thing. My advice is good makes windows 7 faster or tweaks and try some of them. If you are using the windows 7 restore function that can slow it up. You can disable it.

ONe thing I always do before i use a new computer is go to Control Panel and add/remove programs and remove all the bullshit. Then I go download CCleaner and run that. Then I defrag it. Then I run the msconfig in the run prompt and use selective startup and only start up the programs I need. Very simple process but will speed up your start up and shut downs very quickly.

What are the stats on the computer??? Cant tell ya much if I don't have that information.

Brand
    Desktop/laptop
    OS
    RAM
    Processor
    Hard drive
    Video card

Get rid of all the bloatware!!

5. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    So true, many people don't know that virus software SERIOUSLY slows down your computer if it does real time scanning. Your disk IO decreases by a huge factor.

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

It's undoubtedly a piece of crap, my cpu died one day WHILE I WAS DOING A REPORT (which can take a week to write) and the drive was shot. I had to re-write the entire thing in a couple days without any file at all so I just went in and bought one in a period of about an hour.... ugh.

HP
    Desktop
    windows7
    8.00GB (7.75 usable) RAM
    AMD Phenom(tm) 9750 Quad-Core Processor 2.40 GHz
    NVIDIA GeForce 9100
    700 GB hard drive with 90 GB used

7. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

8. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    That is beast compared to my desktop, haha.

9. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

LOL not a chance.

10. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

8 GBs of RAM....really?

All you need is a Hauppauge HD PVR and you can stream now if that CPU is in your game room.

11. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Other than the fact that it is an HP, that's a pretty solid rig. That graphics card should be more than enough to push dual monitors at full res.

I would do some spyware/adware sweeps and checks to see if it finds anything. If not, start looking for the crap that HP sells already installed running in the background (I always start with a clean copy of windows on OEM computers).

When do you notice the slowdown? High volume processing? Or does it just occur when you have had it on for a period of time.

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Just when I've had it on. Like I said i can turn this thing on.... come back 2 hours later and it's running slow.

However today I did those graphics changes like simply reducing the animations and it's pretty sweet. No problems at this time.

But yeah like you I hate all that shit they install... UGH. I haven't gotten rid of that, not sure how.

13. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Clean install is the only way. They have been perfecting that crap for 10+ years now.

14. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yeah clean install is the best but if you dont feel comfortable just remove the programs from the control panel. after you get rid of like 10 programs you need to run the cc cleaner as if cleans up the registry and then defrag.

15. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

What I really REALLY hate is when they do stuff like this. Something pops up and tells me that I can either install some stupid program of theirs... Or give me a bookmark to remind me later. So in other words, fucking nag me to death. FUCK!

But... The last two cpus I had were built/clones and neither lasted very damn long.

Also, one last topic... Am I the only one who has absolutely no need for a laptop? I don't want to be on my computer when I'm out and about. I can't get work done on a laptop from in the field, because I'd need too many programs, there's no way i'd get it all done without a mouse, etc...

16. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

The screen on my laptop went out and instead of shipping it off to the manufacturer for a year and a half for them to fix it I just plugged a monitor into it. Really no difference at all for me, especially with the capabilities phones have now a days.

17. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    I love my laptop...I like sitting on the couch.:)

18. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    I have a laptop that I use when I travel. It's an acer that I got for $450 a year and half ago and it does everything I ask for it. Outside of traveling, I'm constantly on my desktop. The convenience of a keyboard I actually like and a mouse are too welcoming.

19. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

Could be a heat problem... is it well ventilated? Is it in a corner? or in a place where the exhaust could get recycled back into the cpu? if it is try moving it out into the open. or Try opening the tower and running it for a while and see if you still have the slow down. Then try (assuming your place isnt really really dusty) aiming a desk fan at it. I had a comp that would freeze up after a few hours if I didnt take the case off the tower and blast a small fan at it lol.

20. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

uhhh I have a desktop and laptop....on the laptop 90% of the time. I like hanging on the couch. I can also log into my work computer through my laptop....watch tv, play NCAA and check my work email all from my couch.

21. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

See I can never work on the couch. I need to have like 20 sq. ft of desk space at all times for all of the paperwork I'm dealing with.

22. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

yeah u have a real job where u actually do work that affects people......

I have a job where they over pay me and don't really do a whole lot to change much. I just provide information for more important people to make decisions.

zero paperwork.:thumbsup:

23. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Unlikely. Although heat problems can effect the performance of a computer, user input slowdown is generally a problem with resource consumption. Although cooling your components via fans and heatsinks will allow you to run them faster via overclocking, it doesn't necessarily work the other way around.

Overheating most often leads to abrupt failure and depending on your BIOS setup system shutdown or blue screens.