High and Inside - Episode 1 - Milwaukee Brewers

Discussion in 'The Dugout - OOTP Online League' started by Sharkman37, Aug 7, 2013.

1. Sharkman37

Sharkman37 Walk On

baseball1.jpg
    High and Inside:

with Bob Frapples

Episode 1 - Milwaukee Brewers

“Hidy Ho there sportsfans. Welcome to the inaugural episode of High and Inside. I am your magnanimous host, Bob Frapples. This show is a no holds bar look into the GM-ship of our sports teams in the Dugout and the Nippon League. It gives YOU, the FANS, an inside look at the inner-workings of a professional baseball club. We have been able to get exclusive access with our deal with Dugout Baseball Inc. and I am happy to get this party started.”

“Our first GM up is a man who took over his team a few years in and year and year out has his squad on the cusp of a championship? How does he do it? What are his secrets? We will do our best to find out. Remember, all of our guests appear on the Subway Fresh Take hotline, whether in person or over the phone. Subway… eat fresh…”

“So without further ado, please welcome the man that has more personal baggage then Joan Rivers on safari, the one and only GM of the Brewers, Ryan Raferty.”

(Ryan walks out from behind the stage and sits down on the guest couch.)

Bob - "Welcome to the show Ryan."
    Ryan - "Thanks Shark. Thanks for having me on."

Bob - "So first things first. How did you go from Ryan to BigSmooth? Where and how did you get that monniker?"
    Ryan - "It's an old college nickname... To get me through college I ran a little sports thing where you could place a little something based on your confidence on the game at hand... If you catch my drift... There were a few guys that would be a little late from time to time in evening up. Things would get heated between my partners and the "client" and I'd have to go in and even things up. 9/10 times after I worked with them, there was no physical confrontations at all. One partner asked me how I did it all of the time, and my other partner just simply replied, " Because, he's just Big Smooth." From that day forward, my friends handed me the old Sam Perkins nickname and it has stuck."

Bob - "The Brew Crew are putting on an epic beatdown of the NL Central. How did you get your squad built to do such a thing?"
    Ryan - "It's taken some time, but the core has been here for a few years. Croom, Bradley, Garcia, Peito, Paukovi, Calhoun and Parrish all have come up through the system. We've added the rotation and bullpen arms through trades and free agency. Chapman was one of our best free agent signings ever so far. Totally worth the first rounder. Vulcan, Jorge Rivera, and Jake Odorizzi were all acquisitions made in exchange for emptying the farm a bit. Recently, we've mortgaged the future to win now. We have a small window to try to right the NL ship and take control of the World Series for a couple years. Offensively, growth of our first 1st round pick, Jose Garcia has been HUGE. And our signing of Shirai Sana... We can't be more happy that his deal worked out. He's been killing the ball and getting on base. Exactly what we wanted to accomplish."

Bob - "You have had good records in the past but have yet to win the whole thing. What has been your biggest issue in the past and what makes you feel that this year is different?"
    Ryan - "Consistency out of our rotation and injuries have hurt us... Lost Hurlbut last World Series and he's still out. The former Cy Young winner would have been a game changer in the series. And honestly, our bats would come and go. In 2019, the year of the *, our offense looked like it has so far this year. In baseball, you always need a little luck."

Bob - "Jason Parrish has been quite a find. What did you like about him in the draft?"
    Ryan - "To be honest, he was complete luck and development down in our minor leagues. He blew up in the 2019 off-season after some work with the A Wisconsin Timberrattlers, and blossomed into the 2019 MVP and Rookie of the Year."

Bob - "Your farm system is a bit barren at the moment. How do you plan to keep your winning ways going in future seasons?"
    Ryan - "Need to refocus on adding some depth down there in the immediate future. Made some moves to help a little bit. No show stoppers down there, but we'll survive. Our philosophy is and always will be to willing give up a really good "what if" in exchange for a known commodity."

Bob- "What has been your best/favorite trade you have made so far in your tenure with the Brewers?"
    Ryan - "My favorite trade for our organization thus far is close... Either the deal with @soxandgators that landed Kevan Smith at catcher, or last year's move with @Fmode11 for AJ Vulcan. Both were low risk/high reward in my opinion. The Smith deal will have to win due to his longevity with the team. Odds are Vulcan won't accept his player option next offseason and will be elsewhere. But 30+ HR's and 80+ RBI's year in and year out at the catcher position is big. On second thought, it's no question, the deals with the Royals. The first, sending Prince Fielder, Alex Gordon, and some other stuff for Jorge Rivera. Rivera is without question the best closer in the Dugout. The second is a smaller deal, where we landed James Hill. We scouted him down in their A team, loved his glove and power potential, and made the deal."

Bob - "What is one trade you wish you could take back?"
    Ryan - "That's tough too... Dealing for Robel Garcia may come back to bite me... Eden Martinez has done well for @JFace907. But I'll always hate that we traded 1B Nick Ramirez for a bag of dog shit to @NeuroticTruth."

Bob - "If there was one hitter and pitcher you wish you could have on your team, who would they be and why?"
    Ryan - "Hitter is tough... I've always been in love with Lynwood Abbott, but we'll have to go with Wayne Barnes. At his position, his offensive skills are unbelievable and make him an MVP candidate for years to come. Pitching wise, I love my whole staff, but if I had to pick one guy, it'd be Spooks. Knowles will f-him up some how, and make this statement all for not, but his potential is out of this world good."

Bob - "What's the deal with the sausage races during all the home games? I mean, the brat always gets the shaft.. What's the deal??"
    Ryan - "Who knows... I blame the beer."

Bob - "Obligatory beer question for the team that loves to make it. Tastes great or less filling?"
    Ryan - "Without a doubt, tastes great."

Bob - "I am a Schlitz man myself. Moving on... Biggest competition for the World Series ring and why?
    Ryan - Those AL bastards... Orioles and Astros will be a tough out... Yankees, if they're healthy... In the NL, you have to respect the Giants pitching. And honestly speaking, despite our success against the Pirates, if their offense ever picked up it could get interesting. They have arguably the best defense in baseball, and sound top of the rotation pitching accompanied by a stout pen.

Bob - "World Series prediction..."
    Ryan - "It would be a disservice to my organization if we predicted anything other than a Brewers victory over the king of the * himself and the Orioles."

Bob - "Thanks for joining Ryan. And that is a wrap for the first edition of High and Inside. Remember, if you want to be a guest of High and Inside, please tweet us at #HighandInside. This is Bob Frapples saying so long and help control the pet population. Keep your pets spayed or neutered. good bye everybody!!"

• Like Like x 14
  2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Awesome job man. Thanks for having me on this..z

• Like Like x 2
  3. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

Awesome stuff, keep em coming!

• Like Like x 2
  4. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

• Like Like x 2
  5. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Well done boys!!!!!

6. CWT 3000

CWT 3000 Walk On

Good shit dude.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Brandon S.

Brandon S. Freshmen Phenoms Commissioner

This is very cool. Great job. I've wanted to do something like this but with a podcast. Also, I hate myself every day for the James Hill trade. He had 45 contact and ~60 gap / HR power with 40 eye when i traded him. Never thought hed turn into the stud he is now. But i got Preston Taylor out of the deal, and hes been keeping my playoff dreams alive so far.

• Like Like x 1
  8. sawemoff

sawemoff #FearTheBeard

You took the words right out of my mouth

9. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

Nice work Shark. Loved the Kevan Smith deal, pretty sure that made the list of worst trades in our 1st 10 years.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

Why yes it did.

11. ty5oke

ty5oke Walk On

@BigSmooth33, wish that Ed Williams would of made that worst trades section. Too bad he had to go die after 1.5 years of greatness.

12. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

That was almost a worst of... Bravo blows goats

13. Fmode11

Fmode11 MVP

The Vulcan deal has worked out great for the Brewers thus far. The pending player option is now even more unlikely to be accepted, which was considered in the deal, but Vulcan simply needed the change of scenery and I am glad the trade worked out. The tigers were able to free up cap space which in turn was used to close the deal on a reputable closer in Dan Parks in the off-season. Lots of trades end up being one-sided but the Tigers were happy to see Vulcan and his terrible production in Detroit go and Milwaukee I am sure is more than happy on their return (y)

• Like Like x 2
  14. abolishthefed

abolishthefed Specializing in mediocrity

Nice work Shark