Hindsight is 20/20

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by GoGators, May 18, 2011.

1. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

I'll be honest, with the new news about `12 and seeing the footage and everything I'm losing interest by the day in `11. This will probably be my last season just so I can take some time to unwind from what was a crazy NCAA `11 year. I've never played more than 7 seasons of this game going all the way back to the Bill Walsh days. This year however I figure I knocked out over 20 seasons between this league and the Deuce. Man that's crazy.

Anyways, I wanted to have a little discussion about the `11 season and get some of your guys' thoughts on how you performed, most memorable moments, and etc. Here's some questions to get you started, but feel free to add anything else.

1) Looking back over the `11 seasons, what is your overall impression? How would you rate your teams success? Did you meet expectations, surpass them, or come up short?

2) What's your most memorable moment of the `11 seasons?

3) What's the memory from `11 that you could do without?

4) Which school/coach was your absolute nemesis in gameplay and on the recruiting trail?

5) If you could go back in time, would you pick a different team or conference for `11?

6) What was the vision you had coming into `11 and were you able to shape your team/program into that mold for the duration of our 8 seasons?

And more specifically:

@JCspartan2 - Can you explain what happened with the Spartans? In the early goings of the league you were dominant on the ground and punished your opponents. What took you away from that rushing attack, lack of talent in recruiting?

@sugeknight - Which team did you like more, OkSt or UofM? You had one of the most high powered offenses this league has ever seen at OkSt. What held you back from replicating that at UofM? Did Jello not keep the cupboards full?

@AJ Hart - Penn St. One BCS birth and one devastating loss. You had your run of the Big10 for a few seasons there, what enabled you to dominate a pretty solid conference?

@Nautica - The newbie grabbed a BCS thanks to a sim loss by Florida. Have you enjoyed playing as OSU? Or with their lack of depth would you of preferred a different team?

@dakota7 - If you had to brand your program, what would you label it? IMO you've always had one of the most talented rosters in the league yet you never made it to a BCS CG. What happened?

@bill flo - Unfortunately I know nothing about your team since we never played haha. So, what proved to be the winningest jersey combination of the Tigers?

@gowazzucougs - The evolution of GT from Paul Johnson to Wazzu was dramatic going from fleXbox One to spread. It seems you've finally got things rolling lately. What do you think would happen if you had 2-3 more seasons at GT?

@Reccheem2000 - Do you wish you would of picked a different team now? UVA proved to be too much of a rebuilding project. What would you do differently in hindsight?

@MaslerBoros16 - Bama bama bama. I don't know if anyone had a worse go of it than you in this years dynasty. Bama was easily the most talented team in the nation to start with and did you ever win an SEC CG? What happened in Tuscaloosa?

@texacotea - LSU was a pretty strong CPU team when you took them over. Do you feel you've taken them to new heights or maintained what was already there? What do you think would happen if you had 2-3 more seasons with the Tigers?

2. texacotea

texacotea Walk On

Going to skip the 1st 6 questions because I only have roughly a season with these guys.

Going in I had no idea how good LSU was, I figured they would be pretty good because of who they are. I feel like I have drug this program down this season. 3 losses is terrible. (1 to UF who spanked me and the other to Bama) but the loss to Kentucky was a heart breaker. Really threw any chance of going back to the CCG against the Gators out the window.

If I had 2 or 3 more yrs I would take them in a different direction offense wise. I like to air it out a good bit and I dont have the pieces right now to do that. I have a Great receiver in Jevon Dean but nothing more than that. QB wise I would recruit more of a passing QB to manage the offense.

Defense is set up the way I like it. They were already a 4-3 defense and thats what I have been custom to playing. Have some good LBs but really relied on True freshman as CB has hurt this yr.

3. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Here is my question to you Gators; What could we do to re-spark your interest so we could crank out another 2 seasons?

4. blLL flo

blLL flo BTFU!

@GoGators - I like the all purple or all orange unis, but I like mixing it up lol.

1) This was my first year in the league so I wasn't sure what to expect coming in. I was given 2 conference choices coming in to balance things out, and so I chose Clemson having lived in SC. Didn't know anything about dakota or Hova, but after we bumped heads a few times, we managed to get along lol. After my first few seasons with losses to the CPU on Shaun's beast mode sliders, I wasn't sure how my team would turn out. Luckily we had some good QBs along the way with Kyle Parker, Clifton Davidson, and now Aaron Sanders. I think we've exceeded our expectations on the field and definitely on the recruiting trail.

2) Beating Hova in the ACC championship. As well as winning some big recruiting battles like Jorge Irvin and Chris Quinn.

3) Fumbling at the 1 yard line vs Shaun and watching Brunner evade every sack attempt against MSU.

4) Dakota. We have gone back and forth in our division (although I've had the upper hand lately). He also seemed to grab every top flight recruit I wanted (until this year).

5) I enjoyed Clemson. It was fun battling it out with FSU every year.

6) I like to run a 'pro-spread' with power running formations, along with shot gun passing. My team has been able to do that with the RB combo of Marcus Smith (now Mark Allen) and Jorge Irvin. Sanders is a good QB with speed as well. On defense we've always had a good front 7, but lacked one piece or another in the secondary.

5. GoGators

I have way too many things I need to get done that I've been putting off lately, i.e. honeymoon and bachelor party planning, other wedding stuff the fiance keeps yelling at me to finish. I'm also in the middle of possibly relocating so I need to put some more time into that as well. Plus I need to recharge the batteries. I'm a bit burnt out on this game right now.

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Dislike.

7. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Oh, I left the cupboards plenty full. They were just full of my kind of players and not the type that Suge needed for his style of play.

8. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

GT Hindsight

1) Looking back over the `11 seasons, what is your overall impression? How would you rate your teams success? Did you meet expectations, surpass them, or come up short?

My overall impression of the game itself is that it is very good, but has imperfections. I believe my team has been successful. It had to overcome a major overhaul switching from the flex bone to an air raid offense. I was happy to see that we made the conference championship game last season, and probably should have made it this season if I didn't take a sim against VT, damn work conference.

2) What's your most memorable moment of the `11 seasons?

Beating recchem. I know Virginia is not a very good team, but prior to my win last season I was like 0-6 against him, so I will take it.

3) What's the memory from `11 that you could do without? The blocked field goal against Clemson. I don't know how Bill was able to pull it off. I had the momentum, and I believed I had Bill on the ropes, and then the game just swung on a blocked field goal that his player took to the house. It was just unbelievable.

4) Which school/coach was your absolute nemesis in gameplay and on the recruiting trail?

My absolute nemesis is Bill and his Clemson Tigers. Every year we played, and it seemed for the most part I would have chances to win every game we played, but could never close the deal. There were two or three games that if maybe one or two plays goes differently I would have gotten the W.

5) If you could go back in time, would you pick a different team or conference for `11?

I don't know if I would pick another team or conference. The only thing I think that I would do differently is find a team that had a good throwing quarterback. That first full season was a disaster.

6) What was the vision you had coming into `11 and were you able to shape your team/program into that mold for the duration of our 8 seasons?

I more wanted to run a spread offense, but had to settle for air raid offense, because I just couldn't recruit enough lineman, or at least quality lineman. In addition as my focus turned on quarterbacks and receivers, i didn't really recruit running backs which force me to air it out some more.

As for our hypothetical 2-3 seasons, I think GT would have been a team to reckon with. The defense never once ratings went below a B+, while the offense rating slowly went down. I think what hurt was missing the past two position changes stages in the off season to fix the problems on the offensive line. GT would have consistently won the division, and eventually I would have been able to beat Clemson or FSU, right?

9. Masler

Masler Moderator

Yes I did win the SEC in 2011 when I beat Psycho's Bulldogs in a thriller of a game. That would also be the year Trent Richardson ran all over the Swamp to take down the #1 team in the nation ;). After I lost the talent recruiting got to be very difficult for me and I found it tough to win games with a mediocre defense. I also probably overloaded myself with 4 leagues and the frustration of losing user game after user game. Since then I've calmed down quite a bit with only 2 leagues and I've noticed my PvP win % has gone up. I no longer care about winning or losing, in the end it's just a game that provides some fun, but like you said '11 is losing its novelty and I'm glad '12 is only a couple months away.

SEC Country is not easy to win in with teams like Florida, Georgia, LSU being controlled. And I still blame Jello for cursing me...refer to Season 1 where he said something like "With all that ridiculous talent he WILL win the NC.."

It was a big transition from '10 to '11 as well because I used to love mobile QB's but this year the D Line actually contains them and with the new Locomotion I had to switch things up.

I want to use USC in '12 because I haven't ever used a Pac 10(12) team in an OD as of yet and with you taking the Ducks I know I will still have competition on the field and in recruiting. I am hoping some takes Stanford or Washington because they would be fun, competitive games.

10. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I want to bust out the Captain Hindsight pic from South Park.

I'll really only answer the one question directed to me since I havent been around here all that long. As late as I joined, I probably should have taken Hova's Hurricaine's just I could have competed with the big boys. I only have one user game win and the rest have pretty much been blow-outs (I think I played FSU tough one year but after that I've been sliced and diced). But if I hadnt selected the Cav's, the Pillow Fight would have never happened and Cougs and I also seem to play tough games. So im happy with my team. If we can at least another season in, maybe 2, who knows, maybe some of this recruiting I've been doing will pay off.

11. jello1717

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about as I'm pretty sure I never said anything like that. I think you were doing too much reading between the lines there.

Here's what I really said:

Clearly you completely misunderstood what I was trying to say.

12. Masler

Masler Moderator

Either way, it jinxed me

13. jello1717

Okay. @Shaun Mason , where's the damned "sarcasm" icon?

14. Masler

Masler Moderator

:doodie:

15. GoGators

You did win that year 2 SEC CG. I remember that now. And yes you did throttle me with Richardson on the ground that year......in the Swamp none the less. I think I threw a handful of INT's that game too which didn't help. So things weren't all bad in Bama last year. I'm glad you reminded me of that. So there is some hope for you in `12. I was starting to get worried the Pac12 would be a one team show too :)

Sidenote, I'm sure cutting back on leagues will help you, especially with recruiting next year. I know that was the one part that drove me nuts about being in two leagues this year was I couldn't get deep into recruiting cause I had too many games to play.

16. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

You better not over look the Wildcats. With the best receiving corp in the Nation they are going to be a force. Plus i can recruit well enough to make a program strong. I've taken UNLV from the depths of hell and now they are a great program in the Legendary Veterans.

• Like Like x 1
  17. jello1717

The Pac12 is a wrap.

Pac12 champs:
    2012: Oregon
    2013: Oregon
    2014: Oregon
    etc
    etc

The SEC is pretty open with the favorite coming from the west as LSU (whomever gets them) or Alabama.
    The Big10 is open with PSU, MSU and UofM all getting their titles.

The Pac12 is already locked however.

Sucks to be you and Masler (but at least Masler doesn't have to worry about me jinxing him before the 1st game is ever played like I did last year).

18. GoGators

Geez so I get to shoulder the Jello Jinx in `12! Thanks. I'm not sure how it'll play out time wise, but I'm going to be unable to play during the honeymoon which will be approx the first two weeks of august. That means the first season should be pretty wide open in the pac12 unfortunately. Unless I can figure something out.

19. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Please! Oregon is a great team. But they lose three O-Lineman! Arizona loses 5 but they are a passing team. Screens and Draws cover that up. Oregon's very elaborate scheme is hard to teach 3 newbies. Arizona will compete every game INCLUDING Oregon. USC is a deep team too. Matt Barkley is an excellent passer and with Robert Woods are receiver and the usual stable, they will put points on the board.

20. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

Come on man. Didn't the misses know when she married you it was a combo pack with your Xbox?

21. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I doubt that those linemen will be "newbies", Kelly will have those boys in tip-top shape and looking like 5th yr seniors by the time the season rolls around.

22. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

You have a lot to learn young man, when wives hear the startup sound of an xbox, it usually sends them into a blind rage.

23. UofCWildcat

UofCWildcat Bear Down!

I'm excited and ready for the journey ahead :) haha

P.S. If my lady ever did this i'd probably do the same thing to her... Not really. But there'd be words. Offensive ones.

24. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    @sugeknight - Which team did you like more, OkSt or UofM? You had one of the most high powered offenses this league has ever seen at OkSt. What held you back from replicating that at UofM? Did Jello not keep the cupboards full?

I enjoy playing as Michigan b/c I have been a fan for close to 20 years but every loss hurts b.c it is my team. OK State was just fun to line up and watch playmakers fly down the field. I won a Heisman with my receiver Anyiam so that was definitely sweet. The offense was sick and had tons of young weapons. It would have been interesting to see how that team would have fared after 5 or 6 seasons. At UM I tried to go to a running style but with the way the sliders and logic worked I struggled getting a solid running game.

25. jello1717

I'm talking about in this dynasty, not real life ( although I think they'll dominate the PAC12 in real life too).