History of the Cougar Flag at Gameday

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by gowazzucougs, Nov 25, 2011.

1. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

dakota7

Dakota seems to have questions about the Cougar flag that flies at gameday every week. First, let me say WSU doesn't have a lot of quality traditions, that we can say are our own. We clap our hands when the Jaws theme is played like the gator chomp, I have always believed we stole it from Florida. We ring our keys when the ball is kicked, I think that is dumb. And we have the great, "AND THAT'S ANOTHER, COUGAR FIRST DOWN!"

However, WSU finally has something that we can truly call our own. Every home game we have some Cougar legend, like Steve Gleason, Drew Bledsoe, Issac Fountaine raise the flag. We may have stolen this part from the Seahawks who have someone raise the 12th Man flag before every home game, but the pride in the flag has made this something special.

Now, if we go back in the time machine, ESPN didn't always go to college campuses every week. They went most weeks, but not all weeks. And, I think as ESPN started doing it more and more you see more people waving all their signs, and flags nothing really consistent. Anyone could have come up with this tradition of flying their school's flag at gameday every week, but WSU did it first. The whole goal of waving the flag was to get Gameday to come to Pullman. You must remember, going into the 2004 season the Cougs were coming off their third straight 10 win season, Cougar Football was at an all time high. Why wouldn't Gameday come to Pullman? Then we went on a slow nose dive, and then fell off a cliff, but the flag waves regardless of our record.

Here are some links on stories regarding the flag

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/cougars/2010365007_apple27.html

http://www.king5.com/sports/WSU-flag-131897668.html

We even have a website dedicated to waving the flag at gameday, and people waving flags all over the country and world. I have told my wife I want a WSU flag for Christmas, and a tailgating flag pole for Christmas. When I previously had season tickets the flag was just beginning, but since then the flag has become a big deal, we honor people who have flown the flag, and at homecoming this year all the players ran onto the field with a Cougar flag.

http://undefeatedfans.com/

Here is the painful part, if WSU had beaten UCLA this season, Gameday would have come to Pullman. Fowler on Gameday that morning hinted at they were considering coming to Pullman, but of course recchem's F'NG Bruins had to beat the Cougars. And he even tweeted it during the week. It was very painful to read.

2. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Your welcome :) Im still trying to recover from that "game" against USC...jesus christ what a joke that was. USC did whatever they wanted and UCLA let them. We are dead in the water Friday in Eugene!

3. gowazzucougs

gowazzucougs WSU is better than UCLA

maybe the Bruins should have worn the regular uniforms. Just because you pull out special uniforms doesn't mean you will play well wearing them.

4. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

Those things were terrible...I hope that wasnt Rick's choice, that alone should have got him fired. They were supposed to come out in their home uni's, like they have been for the past few years.

5. dakota7

dakota7 Former Blue Chip Recruit

I just saw them briefly on ESPN this morning, but I liked them.

6. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

I don't know...everyone is changing their uni's. UCLA is a classic, they have their away uni's and home uni's and thats it. I couldnt get with the all white, with the white helmet. They didnt look like UCLA. Then again, the way they played Saturday night, maybe it was better nobody knew what team was out there!

7. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

In case you guys didnt see them

[​IMG]

8. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

Their play definitely looked like UCLA.

9. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

:doodie:

10. dakota7

Those alternate uniforms aren't for guys like us. They are for 16 year old kids who run 4.3 40's and see all the BS the Oregon's and Oklahoma State's of the world put on every Saturday.

11. aarondramp

aarondramp ten thousand words

12. dakota7

13. recchem2000

recchem2000 UCLA > WSU

14. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

We actually have a washington state flag waver on this site. Big D got to do the honors this season for the bama/lsu game