HK 15- year 1- NFC North offseason moves

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by Danthraxxx, Oct 16, 2014.

1. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

Mar 17, 2011

NFC North in season one yielded two ten win playoff teams (Lions, Vikings) and saw a playoff win by the division champion Vikings over the Cardinals. The Bears finished 7-9 and the Packers in the cellar at 4-12 (not my fault , yet anyway)

This offseason the North has been pretty busy , lets catch up a bit with the coldest division in the NFC (except for you skirts playing in a dome, am I right MG ? )

Starting from the bottom (if you say "now we are here" you are a lame) is the Packers and new owner yours truly ....

The Packers

QB Carson Palmer 1yr 1.16
    LE CJ Wilson 3yr 4.56
    HB Khiry Robinson 2yr 1.18
    WR Larry Fitzgerald 4yr 5.34
    OLB Victor Butler 3yr 3.25
    HB LaRod Stephens-Howling 2yr 1.52
    K Mike Nugent 1yr 1.01
    DT Ryan Pickett 1yr 1.5

traded DE Julius Peppers to Cincy for 4th round pick & 7th
    traded 3rd round pick to Sea for DE Brian Vallere & 6th round pick
    traded 1st round #4 overall & 2016 5th rounder to the Cardinals for their 1st, 2nd , 3rd in 2015 and 1st in 2016

Overall grade: A-
    Maybe a bit bias here , but I like what I have done so far. By adding Pickett & Wilson in free agency and Vallere via trade to the defensive line we now have 4 players we can count on to front the 3-4. The addition of Victor Butler adds depth to our OLB group. I am stoked to have Nugent as Buckeye fan , and I have hung out with him a few times and he is cool peoples. Veteran Larry Fitzgerald is on the decline for sure, but he will see time in the red zone and his 95 personalty will put butts in the seats and jerseys over those butts .... or something like that.

The trade back is good move as the prior ownership had a much different idea of the needs of this team than I do in the draft. The board I inherited is not something I am in love with and I just did not have a guy I wanted with the #4 overall pick. Next year we will have two 1st rounders to build on as our core players will start to see the other side of age 30.

Da Bears

FS Chris Conte 3yr 3.95
    QB Matt Scott 1yr 870k
    WR Chris Givens 2yr 1.99
    TE Gerell Robinson 2yr 1.7
    DT Nick Fairley 4yr 43.3
    C Mike Pouncy 4year 33.2
    MLB Akeem Jordan 1yr 2.2
    CB Curtis Marsh 1yr 750k

Trades :

Grade: A

Sweet baby Tebow _MG_ and the Bears were making it rain worse than when Jesse blew all of Walt's money for an RV! (if you don't follow that reference you need to step your TV game up). The addition of Fairley & Pouncey gives the Bears two of the most coveted free agents on the market, and improves them in the trenches by a big margin. The real question here is long term impact on the cap and funds. Hopefully the Bears brass are not counting on an Obama bail out , I got a feeling BobJr probably votes Republican being from Texas and all :)

The Lions

CB Brandon Harris 2yr 2.0
    QB Tyler Bray 1yr 1.3
    QB Zac Dysert 2yr 3.6
    RE Arthur Jones 4yr 12.8
    DT Jerrell Powe 1yr 1.35
    RG Vinson Painter 1yr 510k
    SS Johnson Bademosi 1yr
    CB Mike Jenkins 1yr 2.6
    C Rodney Hudson 3yr 3.4
    LE Adam Carriker 3yr 6.23
    FS Brandian Ross 1yr 730k
    FS Kendrick Lewis 3yr 4.83
    SS Brandon Taylor 1yr 780k
    CB Cortland Finnegan 1yr 3.74
    OLB Akeem Ayers * yr 10.6
    LG Chris Hubbard 2yr 1.14
    HB Terrance West 1yr 520k
    RT Derek Newton 2yr 1.48
    OLB Paul Kruger 4yr 13.3
    FB Will Tukuafu 2yr 1.52
    WR Ramses Barden 4yr 4.8
    MLB Preston Brown 1yr 660k
    WR Brandon Coleman 1yr 670k
    FB Jorvorskie Lane 4yr 2.68

Grade: C+

Holy hand cramp ! Shaun Mason brought in more new guys that a high school full of Kardashian's . I like some of these moves to sure up his 3-4 cheesefense .... er defense rather. The addition of Arthur Jones on the line and OLB Ayers and bringing back in season pick up Paul Kruger should help right away. The offensive side of the ball didn't yield too many big names , well Barden is kind of a big name being 6'6" but not sure how much PT he will see. The Lions WR group might actually have a chance against the sorry ass Pistons.

The Vikings / Aztec Warriors ? or something ?
    or maybe ?

not sure ? ....

Traded HB Adrian Peterson to the Saints for Junior Gallette , a 3rd round pick in 2015 and a 1st in 2016

Grade: C-

Vikings owner controllerabuser is strapped for cash and possible moving to a completely different country , so the Vikings have had a rough offseason so far. In a shocking , but not really move the Vikes have agreed to ship off former fan favorite AP to the London / Dublin / Paris or whatever European city Saints team for a marginal return I think. The added picks will help but you have to wonder if they got equal value long term. Only time will tell, but hopefully the currency exchange in Mexico will make up for the lost jersey sales :D

Stay tuned for after draft updates on Friday !
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
    • Awesome Content Awesome Content x 3
  2. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Feb 9, 2009
    Featured Threads:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Nov 30, 2011
    Featured Threads:
    Its the New Orleans Saints son, we aint movin.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. controllerabuser

controllerabuser Purple People Eaters

Jul 6, 2009

Nice write up brotha. I did not sign anybody free agent wise, true. However, getting rid of AP is a big deal to me financially if I am going to make a nice profit this year and getting ready to make a little splash next year. In return for AP, I get Junior Galette, a 27 year old 96 OVR rated left defensive end in my scheme which allows me to get rid of aging Brian Robison. Allowing me even more money to gain. I still have all my picks and an extra 3rd which is just like a late 2nd(71). As well as, having 2 1st round picks in next year's draft. I'm cutting fat and getting younger. I competed with the 49ers without AP and the better defensive players in the league always shut him down anyways. My thoughts were, AP is getting old and I want something in return for him. I was going to cut him outright. I may or may not have made the right choices but I had to do something to increase my revenue next season. I believe both teams got a good deal to benefit each other.
    • Like Like x 1