HK Discussion: Quarterback Value

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by G_T_G, Dec 22, 2014.

?

How important is it to have a "good" QB in madden?

1. Important

77.8%
  2. Not Important

22.2%
  1. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Hard Knocks

[​IMG]
    Open discussion/poll - please share your thoughts on the below, and vote in the poll.
    • When passing, does having a great quarterback put you at a decided advantage over someone with an average QB?
    • In the grand scheme of things, where do you place QB value compared to other positions (RB, OL, CB, etc.)?
    • In your opinion, what is the most important QB attribute that you look for (thp, sac, mac, dac)?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

After having Rodgers for last few seasons I can say it is a huge advantage. I was winning my divisional playoff game last year until he went down , and when old ass Carson Palmer came in I couldn't do jack. I will say on the defensive side of the ball if you don't have a QB or WR I fear I am going to attack the run and live with the consequences a lot easier than if you have a passing threat.

As far as attributes it depends on if it is a guy I am trading for or drafting. Having a big arm is huge for a drafted guy , I can always upgrade the other things. The thing that is most important for what I do is play action and arm strength , if I can suck the defense in and take a shot over the top I feel like that makes me offense really hard to deal with.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

• When passing, does having a great quarterback put you at a decided advantage over someone with an average QB?
    A slight advantage, sure. But I think average and above average QBs can make many of the throws that the "elite" can. I don't think you need someone with 90+ at all the QB attributes to have success with your offense/pass game.
    • In the grand scheme of things, where do you place QB value compared to other positions (RB, OL, CB, etc.)?
    I feel like it is easy to find an average/decent QB, and based on your offense, you can do just fine with one while you focus on building other positions. I value defensive positions higher than offense.
    • In your opinion, what is the most important QB attribute that you look for (thp, sac, mac, dac)
    I used to value throw power, but I found that as long as the throw power isn't incredibly low, I can still make many of the throws without having 95+ throw power. Seeing as how some QBs with high accuracy miss throws, not sure I can say I value accuracy the most, but that is probably what I look for most often. Having physical attributes (speed, acc, etc) is just a bonus as I don't scramble/option too much.

4. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

Interesting take - I never felt a huge advantage when I had Brady.

I've seen guys pull better QBs and put in worse guys and play much better (Rhight pulled Jimmy G. on me and his backup went off).

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I think having a great QB puts you at a HUGE advantage, IF you know how to use them. Of course, having confidence in your quarterback and playing within the framework they are capable is the hall mark of a good "coach".

I value QB highly, but not as high as some other positions.

I value THP and physical skills, you can teach accuracy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

I agree here with the teaching accuracy thing.. but why do you think it's a HUGE advantage? Do they really make throws THAT much better? Honest question - not arguing.

I've never been great at passing, and never noticed a big difference. Always have had the same performances basically with whatever QB I've had. Play calling and reading defenses always seemed to be the biggest factor in the pass game (to me) - not the QB.

7. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    A great QB (Top 5) will put the ball in a good spot consistently, if you aren't being boneheaded, IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  8. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

I see - I've also heard someone mention (xxkimura ) that attributes affect throw trajectory and better QBs have better trajectories on their throws. Any truth to that (that you know of)?

9. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    Trajectory is controlled by controller input, AFAIK.

• Like Like x 1
  10. broth262

broth262 Dirty Terps

Featured Threads:
    Well I'm in a weird place on this discussion. Having a good QB is definitely an advantage, but after having Derek Carr get injured in my last game, I noticed a marked improvement in performance from my lower rated QB. So maybe there is some mysterious attribute that I'm not considering, or maybe there is some sort of comfort level, but i have no idea.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

I put in Eli Manning late last week and he is basically a mummy now - made every throw I tried.

His attributes:

Throw Power 88 SAC 68
    Throw ACC 82 MAC 50
    Throw On Run 73 DAC 72
    Play Action 63

Went 11 for 14 for 160 yards and a TD

• Like Like x 2
  12. Rhight

Rhight Walk On

When passing, does having a great quarterback put you at a decided advantage over someone with an average QB?

I say yes. Playing with Peyton Manning is different than playing with Garoppolo. He fits the ball in all the holes, and makes up for some user error.
    In the grand scheme of things, where do you place QB value compared to other positions (RB, OL, CB, etc.)?

I think QB is the most important position.
    In your opinion, what is the most important QB attribute that you look for (thp, sac, mac, dac)?

Thp and sac.
    Obviously thp to get the ball there in a timely man before the CB closes on the ball.
    sac because for whatever reason a 5 yrd drag route may end up 25 yrds down the field. Yet even with lower accuracy QB's I don't remember ever missing a wide open receiver deep. While the short drag seems to be missed every game.

13. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I really dont know with M15. I am hot and cold at times.

I start to question the value of a highly rated QB until I play with a lower rated guy and he is even shittier. Glennon has been more accurate this season thus far than last. Wild passes have been more rare.

I still like high throwing power. Not in just how far the ball can go, but in the velocity of the pass to hit the receiver.

14. thirdalarm

thirdalarm Walk On

What's a Quarterback?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. G_T_G

G_T_G BEAR DOWN

That thing that Tannehill tries to be.