HK :: League Watch

Discussion in 'Hard Knocks' started by Cimmy24, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Hard Knocks
    League Watch

[​IMG]

Hard Knockers! We are coming down to the wire of the 3rd season of HK, and it is bound to be a Hell of a finish. From this point on, I will do my best to periodically give a Cim-Nopsis on the league and every teams roster. This will essentially be a Moving Mock Draft, but Free Agency will also be incorporated. So without further adieu, let's begin.

So to begin, I will run through the current Top 10 draft picks, as I believe they SHOULD play out.

[​IMG]

1. Washington Redskins

The Washington Redskins are in a world of hurt, however they did pick up their first win of the season. However, they have struggled on both sides of the ball and have many holes to fill. To really understand Washington's troubles, it is easily determined by their Team Rankings.

Dead Last in Points For, 31st in Total Yards, 29th in Pass Yards, and 25th in Rush Yards on the offensive side of the ball.

On defense, they're 30th in Points Against, 31st in Rush Yards Against, and 23rd in Total Yards Against.

Their ONE spotlight, is their pass defense where they rank 10th in the league. However, when you're playing games that aren't close in score, the opposing offense is likely not going to air it out. CB Alterraun Verner leads the pass defense with 9 Deflections and 4 INTs, and behind him comes his counter part CB Chris Culliver with 6 Deflections and 2 INTs.

So what does a team do that is this much of a mess and holds the #1 Pick? Well, most would say draft the best skill position player and hope for the best. Yet, Washington resigned RG3 and has a great HB in Alfred Morris. There are some Contract Negotiations to Tie Up for other skill positions, particularly at WR, but this team needs to start at the foundation again. Now, this team could easily trade this pick away, acquire more picks, and build, but to avoid making that decision for them...

OT Huston Longo - Rutgers

This is by no means a sexy pick for Washington, but it strengthens the offensive line to protect RG3 and get the run game going. Between Longo and the other big OT Terik Coles, Longo has the ability to move faster and can play RT. OG is a bigger need for this team, but at #1 overall, there is not any OGs worth the 1st pick. They could trade down, acquire more, and draft someone like Emilio Diggs from Stanford, but this is the best case scenario for Washington at 1.

IF THEY MOVE DOWN
    If their Draft Position slides, which I don't think it will, I still believe OL is the best route for this team. They begin to fall away from the Top 2 OTs and begin to get into a region that could fairly address the OG position. MLB is another position that could be worth noting, and could come in the acquisition of MLB Traivon Snead of Ohio if Washington falls to about 4th or worse.

[​IMG]

2. Green Bay Packers

Much like the Redskins, Green Bay's struggles are all over the field. Despite having one of the most Elite QBs in the game in Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay ranks dead last in passing offense. Not just passing offense, no no no...they're dead last in Total Offense and 31st in Points For. 28th in Rushing Offense is the "bright spot" for this offense. The defense does not fair any better at all, thought slightly better than Washington.

Fortunately for GB, they do have Aaron Rodgers, a decent receiving corps, and a fairly good defense. Eddie Lacy has not put up amazing numbers, but has done his job. Again though, for Green Bay to return Lambeau to Greatness, they must go with a smart pick here.

OT Terik Coles - UCF

Now, in reality. I don't think Green Bay will go this route. I think they will go skill position here, but the smart pick in me has them addressing their issue at RT. The ownerships eyes will light up giving the opportunity to draft skill position, particularly in the run game.....but if the offensive line is bolstered, that could greatly help the current running situation and pave the way for a future star in Green and Yellow.

IF THEY MOVE UP
    If they jump to the #1 Overall Pick, I think Offensive Line is still the option for them, but I think they'd take Longo over Coles.

IF THEY MOVE DOWN
    If they drop (which they already have at advance), HB and TE begin to be where they'll look. They would really like Pablo Parker and I'm confident that he will end up in GB if he is available when their time begins to tick away, regardless of where they pick, but a receiving target for Rodgers would be the next smartest grab or equally as smart a grab for them in this first round as OL. TE ReShawn James or Jovanta Grove would be suitable for them, but also filling their lack of depth at WR could be important for them as well. That is where WR Sexton Brooks of Nebraska becomes a reality for this team.

[​IMG]

3. Carolina Panthers

What is good for the Panthers, is their offense is not as bad as the previous 2 franchises. Their run game could use some help, but the arm of Cam Newton has been relied on to keep this team in games. Their defense is what is hurting this team, especially in the passing game.

The other misfortune for this team, is they are "old". Ahmad Bradshaw highlights the run game, Roddy White is the #1 WR, followed by Ted Ginn, Michael Jenkins, and Lavelle Hawkins. On defense, Chris Clemons is the starting RE, Thomas Davis is their LOLB, and Charles Godfrey starts at SS. Now, they're not brittle bones old all over, but some positions are just lacking that youth talent. This is where I think skill position help is needed and I think this is where they SHOULD begin to fall.

HB Pablo Parker - South Carolina

Some of you may be saying, "Wow, this is a reach for a 3rd Round Projection", but if you're thinking that, you haven't scouted well enough or you were not in chat when a little birdy informed the league of this kids talents. My gut is telling me he won't be here for Carolina, but my head tells me this is the best scenario thus far. HB and WR and just OLD BALLS for the Panthers, but they do have a pair of young WRs yet to see the field. HB is a big age concern and this would do wonders for this team.

IF THEY MOVE UP
    If they move up, I still believe they will grab a playmaker like Parker. HB seems the most obvious choice for the Panthers to upgrade their offense now.

IF THEY MOVE DOWN
    The further Carolina drops, the likelihood that they get Parker begins to decrease exponentially. If that happens, there aren't many HBs that could be suitable here, that wouldn't be available in Round 2. This is where they address the age of the Defense. SS Ryan DePriest, MLB Traivon Snead, and OLB Evan Levingston begin to be options for Carolina. If they had their pick of those three, Levingston should join a talented and experienced LB group.

[​IMG]

4. Oakland Raiders

Oakland has been competing at a below average pace all season, but have played fairly well in terms of running the football. Not great, but not terrible. Their issue lies with putting points on the board, as well as keeping points off the board. They do have talent on this roster and are likely to fill position based on BPG...I mean BPA. This is another team that could use help at the OG position and they could add another option in the run game, but I don't think the flash will pass the Owner's Eye's with this young man....

TE ReShawn James - Ohio State

Now, Oakland is pretty well off at TE as it stands, but nothing would be better or more fitting than this Franchise than the personality and skill set that comes from Lebron James nephew.

IF THEY MOVE UP
    Oakland wants to continue to win, so they likely will drop, but if the ownership shows up belligerent and their stock rises, Owner Third is a smart enough guy, even a Case of Natty deep, to draft Offensive Line. OT Terik Coles begins to be a very good option.

IF THEY MOVE DOWN
    Oakland seems committed to Pryor, but QB could be in play, especially if the QBs fall like they very well may. I think they'd pick Cardona over Hammond or Simmons, but we may not see that. They could address their need at OG and likely will with OG Emilio Diggs from Stanford or Dave Louis-Jean of Arkansas. Again, this Owner may seem to have the tendencies of a College Fraternity Brother at a Rave, but he is one of the smartest drafters I've seen in Hard Knocks.

[​IMG]

5. San Diego Chargers

San Diego started the season off well offensively. QB Philip Rivers was the top Passer in the league for most of the year, before going off a shear cliff, ultimately getting benched for Zac Dysert. Many believe this is where the first QB could be taken, but...I of all people...have insider information that Dysert is being given the opportunity to prove himself in the NFL with the Bolts.

So that leaves us wondering where else this team could go? The WRs have dropped many crucial passes that ultimately have doomed this team this year, but the biggest flaw has been the defense and defending the pass. Will Hill resigned a new contract last year, and the Chargers were able to secure Eric Weddle this season. So all is well at the Safety position.

CB Isaic Swanson - Tennessee

Swanson adds immediate help to the pass defense for the Chargers, and brings them the dimension they're looking for in a speedy, lock down CB.

IF THEY MOVE UP
    If San Diego moves up the board, look for them to try to address the OT position on this team. I believe that is something they would really like to do and very well could do if they make it into the Top 3.

IF THEY MOVE DOWN
    If San Diego falls further or out of the Top 10, they could grab a QB, even if he sits on the bench for a year for Dysert to prove himself. However, I don't think this owner would do that. I think drafting a need would be of biggest importance and that's on the defensive side of the football, where they've struggled year round. If it isn't CB, it will be MLB and Snead again becomes the popular option.

STILL IN PROGRESS

I was hoping to do the Top 10, but a power outage last night changed that. I wanted to get this to you guys to get chatter going, so I finished it up this morning before leaving for work. When I woke up this morning, I noticed the standings changed, so I added the "If They Move Up/Down" portion to this. I will work on the next 5 at least tonight, may do more, but at least....
    Cleveland, Detroit, Minnesota, San Francisco, and Arizona would be the Next 5.

Stay Tuned!

• Like Like x 12
  2. Zikry

Zikry Walk On

Awesome job here Cim! Think you are missing the Patriots from top 5 though

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Well, now I know that you didn't read it....

I acknowledged that the Top 5 changed and that NE would be included in the next update I'll post tonight.

Silly Egypt.

My plan is to get through the 32 teams in an approximate order first...and then before the Draft when a set order is known I'll throw together a final mock

Edit...ok so I didnt say that NE would be in the Next 5 but they will now...I was working on them at 6th when the power cut out last night. So I'll at least do 6 tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  4. xxkimura

xxkimura Walk On

Nice write up, like the smoke screen about the chargers

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

You sir, will definitely be surprised. Ever hear the term, "Hidden in Plain Sight"?

Mind boggling now.

6. thirdalarm

thirdalarm Walk On

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. xxkimura

xxkimura Walk On

Does teo suck? Why move him to draft another mlb

8. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

Great job, cim!! You write well for a penn state grad.

Definitely curious as to what you will say about the Browns. Remember, be nice to your elders.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

3-4 requires 2 MLBs.

Me putting him on the block was purely to see what I could get for him as far as picks go

10. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

If you want a sneak preview, I'm thinking you go QB since you seem to have trouble finding one...since you only have 2 when BobJr requires us to have 3....elders and their belief that we owe them something...smh

• Like Like x 2
  11. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Cimmy... this is classic stuff my man...Great job.

Can't wait to see how you peg Minny

12. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I got something good for Minny...the return of Brett Favre

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ryty

Ryty Over the Cap

I can't sign anyone since I'm broke. You have any qbs to trade?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Philip Rivers. I'll give him to you

15. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Yo no escojo número uno siempre, pero cuando lo hago, me cambiaré a la basura para más selecciones. Manténgase sed mis amigos.

• Like Like x 2
  16. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Tengo pico con su nombre en ellos. Se trata de que la accion jefe

17. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Bob paid me $100 to smoke screen for him. Just saying. English.

18. xxkimura

xxkimura Walk On

shit accidentally stepped into sporty's thread.

19. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

Content on top of Content....Tha Kang round here

• Like Like x 2
  20. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Pablo Parker = Marshall Faulk clone

• Like Like x 1
  21. CTfromDC

CTfromDC Where my money?

James is the best player in the draft...even better that Super Pablo Parker

Decisions, Decisions....Davis/James > Gronk/Hernadez ???:whistle:

• Like Like x 1