HOF Game Summaries-Rule

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by LeatherHelmets, Nov 30, 2011.

1. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

An active forum is a must if a league wants to be part of TSO...game summaries is one of the core requirements in any league. Our game summaries reflect our interest in the game and the league. Game summaries foster interaction among members.
    In the HOF submission of game summaries or lack there of has been addressed thru public post, private messages to individual members...in seasons 1-2 I tracked all user content...took a lot of time.......when a user left the league lack of content, participation, communication were the common reasons...and a little of each.

As commish my approach needs to be objective, consistent and with the intent of keeping users in the league as they step up to meet the requirements...in the past it was an all or nothing approach.

Its unfair to other users when everyone is not doing game summaries....yet benefiting from having a forum at TSO and a league to be a part of..

Now that we have progressed to S5, maturing as a league....its time to get more realistic about meeting content requirements, game summaries which is the major requirement throughout the season.

You know that when life presents challenges and I am made aware of those, in private, then I am flexible in terms of extending time for you in the league to meet requirements.

Please provide input as to the consequences for a user when game summaries are not being met.

Proposed Rule:

"Users are required to post the game summary from the previous game, no later than 24 hrs. after the next advance"

Explanation: You play game #2.....we advance to game #3.....24 hrs. from that time/date, you must submit your #2 game summary.

Gives you extra time already built in....

The consequences for not meeting the requirement/timeline;

1. First offense: Warning...we are human, mistakes happen

2. Second offense: Loss of scholarship for current season

3. Third offense: Game for the current week is simmed, if vs. a user, they play CPU

Beyond #3.....removal from league.

Comments, other proposals are welcomed.

In terms of tracking, would do so via a Google doc, posted at forum...so everyone knows their status

Thx
    LeatherHelmets
    Fred Limbo
    HAL9100
    Shnoogans10
    ptown27
    Stiffysix
    Fight'n Hokie
    bigtubb_
    bustedukulele
    wayers50
    jhujay09

2. Fred Limbo

Fred Limbo MVP

3. ptown27

ptown27 Walk On

Sounds good to me!:cool:

4. HAL9100

HAL9100 TSO's Resident Antagonist

Featured Threads:
    The consequences sound fine to me. What I would do different is, rather than a hard 24 hour timeline, I would just say that the game summary should be done before they play their next game. Same general idea but it gives more flexibility for someone to get it done around their schedule.

Also, now that we're getting more user vs user games, I would suggest a rule for game summaries that we have in my madden league. That rule being that only the winner of the game has to write a game summary. We don't really need 2 people writing summaries and posting stats about the same game, imo.

5. bustedukulele

bustedukulele Walk On

Yeah sounds good to me too. I was hoping one of you could direct me to the post that shows how to submit pictures and videos from the ea sports site to the board. I couldnt find it through searching.

6. Fight'n Hokie

Fight'n Hokie Walk On

Seems fine...as soon as the game is over I like to do it. When stats are things are fresh...

• Like Like x 1
  7. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

What I do is;

1. I use the Snip tool that comes with Windows to grab the stats off the NCAA 12 web od
    2. I use Real Player to download the videos from the web od...then I merge together or you can upload each to a You Tube account
    3. I use Google Docs so I can have a basic template to work from....that I way I can put in team graphics, pics that I want to use on a regular basis.

The above sounds like a lot...but once you get the system down, use the right tools, I can do in 15 minutes....that includes typing up a game narrative in Google Docs using my template.

To use Google docs you need a google account....I can send you the template if desired.

8. bustedukulele

bustedukulele Walk On

Yeah Google docs makes it a lot easier. I remember using imgur or flickr last year and then embedding the link... I will try to upload a video later. I want everyone to see Texas burn me on a fake punt.

9. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

TSO puts a high value on forum activity....so to put forth a rule with clear expectations/consequences for not submitting content/game summaries...then reduce the content requirements seems contradictory...

Secondly a Madden league typically has more users...more games and more user to user games....

How about 1 user reports the offensive side of the ball, the other the defensive?

10. HAL9100

Featured Threads:
    Well, that's just the timing of it. I've been thinking of this since the start of season 4 when we merged down to 2 conferences and just haven't said anything about it. So to me, it's a completely different subject(though related) but this thread made me think of it. I understand the importance of being/looking like there's a lot of forum activity. However, now that Alabama has joined, there are 30 user vs user games this season and there's at least one in all but 1-2 weeks of the season. It's just a lot of repetitive summaries and it'll be happening every week. It'd be one thing if the game summaries were more introspective about the players own team but what we've been seeing is more fact/stat based(not that there's anything wrong with that...that's how mine typically are too).

It's your call, obviously, but I was just wondering if we really needed 2 people to make posts covering similar points/details. Thought we might as well save one of those guys the time/effort of doing something that isn't really needed for that game.

11. ptown27

ptown27 Walk On

I think when you do posts that you can elborate more on went on in the game. Yeah if you have players just throwing up stats it is going to be very repetitive. However, if you get everyone's point of view of what went on in the game it would make things more interesting. Everyone has different opinions of what went on in the game from both the losing and the winning side of the ball. Posts are getting repetitive, because people nobody wants to be thorough. But whatever is decided I am game.

12. NeuroticTruth

NeuroticTruth dont know , dont care

Featured Threads:
    I think the summaries are fun to read personally, and I can see where it may seem tedious to have two people do the same game. On that same note though, it would be nice to see the varying opinions on how exactly the game played out and their emotions on it etc.

13. LeatherHelmets

LeatherHelmets Walk On

Thanks for the input.....this is how we will operate this season;

"Users are required to post the game summary from the previous game, prior to playing their next game"

Explanation: You play game #1.....we advance to game #2.....before you play game #2, you must post game #1 summary

The consequences for not meeting the requirement/timeline;

1. First offense: Warning...we are human, mistakes happen

2. Second offense: Loss of scholarship for current season

3. Third offense: The results of the game you played without posting game summary from previous week, are tossed out and the game is simmed.

Beyond #3.....removal from league.

Game summaries are tracked by team, week...at the bottom of the TM Schedule/Power Rankings

User to user game summaries: Both users are required to post. The winner posts the normal game stats, narrative. The loser of the game posts comments in response to the winning user posts and what would he, the losing coach, do different if the teams played again.

LeatherHelmets
    Fred Limbo
    HAL9100
    Shnoogans10
    ptown27
    Stiffysix
    Fight'n Hokie
    bigtubb_
    bustedukulele
    wayers50
    jhujay09
    Mike Fransisco

14. HAL9100

Featured Threads:
    I like that. It'll be interesting to see that point of view.