Hokie News (NCAA 12)

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by kmaxhokie, Jun 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmaxhokie

kmaxhokie Walk On

Here you will find all you need to know about the Virginia Tech Hokies. From off-season moves to post game commentaries Hokie News will be here to give you up to the minute information.

2. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

To be fair, Kris, you did play Georgia Tech. Lol. We all know the option offense is worthless in this game :p

3. kmaxhokie

kmaxhokie Walk On

September 3rd, Week 1

The Virginia Tech Hokies began the season on a high note with a 55 to 3 victory over UL Monroe. All eyes were on RS Sophomore Logan Thomas who is replacing former standout Tyrod Taylor at the quarterback position. Logan Thomas finished the game 8 for 9 passing with 185 yards and 2 touchdowns in a little more than 2 quarters of action. "I was glad the team got a win today" Thomas said after the game "I thought the offense was very explosive and the defense was able to shut down their offense pretty easily." Coach Eric Taylor seconded these thoughts and when asked about Thomas's performance he said "Thomas played a hell of a game, we didn't seem to miss Tyrod at all. Everything seemed to click on offense." Coach Taylor also told us not to forget about star running back David Wilson who had 173 rushing yards on 11 carries with 3 touchdowns. "I doubt many people in the country have the speed to keep up with him." Senior Tight End Chris Drager also had a great game. The former Defensive End who moved back to his natural position of tight end this spring had 3 catches for 98 yards and a touchdown. However, the play of the game had to come from Fullback Joey Phillips who had a 46 yard touchdown run on a 3rd and 1 play. "I was just looking to get a first down, but once I gained a few yards and saw that huge hole I new I had a chance for a touchdown."

The Hokies defense only allowed 154 yards of total offense and allowed only a 20% completion percentage on 3rd down. James Gayle and Derrick Hopkins each picked up their first sacks of the season, while Tariq Edwards was able to force a fumble that was eventually recovered by Antone Exum. Senior Captain Eddie Whitely (better known as E. XXXXXXX) spoke to us after the game. "I thought the defense played pretty well. It was our first game of the season so we could of played better and we had a couple of dropped interceptions but I thought it was a good game."

In recruiting news the Hokies got screwed when none of their recruits would answer their phones. This caused the Hokies to lose all of their recruiting time expect for 30 minutes which was spent on a 4 star quarterback who actually answered. Hopefully this kind of problem never happens for the Hokies again.

Next week the Hokies will face ECU; however, due to unforeseen circumstances I will not be present at the game, so there will be no reporting from me except for the stats from the box score. Until next time.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

4. kmaxhokie

kmaxhokie Walk On

September 10th, Week 2

The Virginia Tech Hokies were able to beat the ECU Pirates 26 to 18 in what seemed to be a thrilling game. Since I wasn't there I was not able to talk to players after the game but here are some stats.

Stats Virginia Tech ECU
    Total 358 260
    Passing 268 268
    Rushing 36 for 90 12 for -8

Logan Thomas 8 of 16 for 67 yards and 1 touchdown
    Ju Ju Clayton 17 of 30 for 201 yards

David Wilson 17 carries for 67 yards and a touchdown
    Chris Drager 8 receptions for 83 yards
    Danny Coale 7 receptions for 67 yards
    Jarrett Boykins 3 receptions for 47 yards and a touchdown

Zach McCray 2 sacks
    Alonzo Tweedy 1 sack
    Jevon Winslow 1 sack
    J Collins 1 sack
    Eddie Whitely 2 interceptions
    Jeron Hosely 1 interception

Cody Journell 2 for 4 on field goals

In recruiting news the Hokies picked up 3 Top 150 recruits in 5 star WR Cedrick Greene, 4 star WR Phil Johnson, and 4 star HB Isaac Johnson. Isaac Johnson looks to take the place of Senior HB Josh Oglesby, while the two wide receivers will look for playing time after thedeparture of Jarrett Boykins, Danny Coale and Dyrell Roberts.

Next week the Hokies face Arkansas State at home which should be a easy test at Lane Stadium. I will be back at that game so expect some player interviews.

Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose

5. HarkTheSound

HarkTheSound Walk On

You know you can edit player names on your team so you wont have to look at xxxx anymore right? Lol. Even if you have to spell whitely wrong its better than xxxxx

6. Roggie

Roggie Back 2 Back

Featured Threads:
    Yeah, man. I'm using Va Tech in my 2 man OD with Logan, and I just made it Whitly. Annoying, but nowhere near as annoying as xxxxxxx.

7. kmaxhokie

kmaxhokie Walk On

Yeah I know, Im hoping the patch fixes his name so I don't have to edit it. I can stand E. XXXXXXX as of right now. Probably will piss me off in a few weeks though lol

8. kmaxhokie

kmaxhokie Walk On

September 31st, Week 5

The #14 ranked Virginia Tech Hokies just beat the Clemson Tigers with a final score of 42 to 20. Although the final score seems to indicate a blowout the Hokies were actually down 14 to 7 in the 2nd quarter and only had 21 to 14 lead at halftime. Logan Thomas didn't have a good game going 9 for 18 for 91 yards with 2 touchdowns (1 rushing) and an interception. He seemed hesitant to throw the ball down field and when he went threw to his check offs they were in coverage resulting in a lot of deflected balls. Luckily the Clemson Tigers can not catch a football to save their lives thus Thomas only had one interception on the day. However, after starting the game 3 for 10 for 3 yards Thomas was able to get a few nice plays going including a curl route to Boykins which lead to a 33 yard reception. The player of the game for the offense was definitely David Wilson. Although not having a rushing touchdown on the day the Hokies running back ran for over 150 yards and allowed the Hokies to control possession. He was also able to catch a nice screen pass from Logan Thomas for a 16 yard touchdown. "I just do what the team tells me to do" Wilson told reporters after the game. "Id play all sides of the ball if they let me since Im such a freak of an athlete." The wide receivers and tight ends could not seem to find an opening in the defense for most of the game which led to a reliance on the running game.

The Defense only allowed 13 points (7 points were from an interception), while 6 of those points came when the game was out of reach. Captains Bruce Taylor and Eddie Whitely paved the way for the defense getting 10 and 6 tackles respectively. Taylor was also able to cause a fumble which lead to Kyle Fuller touchdown and record a sack. Kyle Fuller was also able to record his 3rd pick of the season when he reacted on a slant route. Freshman Derrick Bonner also recorded his first interception and touchdown of the season. He jumped a route and then returned the ball 50 yards, breaking 3 tackles and running through a pile of Clemson offensive lineman. "It was definitely my best play in a Tech uniform so far" Bonner stated after the game. "I can't wait to see it on the Top 10 plays of the season." Well Bonner you might have to wait a while to see your plays on the Top 10. It seems that the camera man was unable to transfer his game film due to some problem with a company known as EA. Strong Safety Antone Exum also recorded an interception for a touchdown
    early in the first quarter.

The Special Teams unit seems to be getting to many clippings and blocks in the back. "Whenever I get a good return" Hosley stated after the game "It seems that someone has committed a penalty on our team. It just gets really frustrating to see all that hard work have to come back." Also the kicking game has been lacking in resent weeks with place kicker Cody Journell missing an extra point last week and then missing two field goals this week from 42 and 43 yards. The first field goal was on target but went slightly left at the last 2nd and hit the upright; however, the 2nd field goal was a disgrace and went wide wide wide left. Hopefully Coach Eric Taylor can get this cleared up before the next week.

In recruiting news, the Hokies had a few recruits at this game that have shown some interest in joining the team. Hopefully after a good victory some of these players will decide to come to Blacksburg next season.

Next week the Miami Hurricanes visit Lane Stadium which will be the Hokies biggest test of the season so far. This game, along with the game against UNC, will go far in deciding who will win the ACC Championship this year.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.