Holy. Crap. Wisconsin 17, UNLV 10

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by vatechhokie01, Jul 15, 2011.

1. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

I don't even know where to start. My defense played the game of their lives... of their freaking lives!

To begin, I played UNC last night and lost 45-3.

This morning, the UNLV Rebels traveled to #11 Wisconsin to play in front of an absolutely raucus crowd. The Badgers won the coin flip and chose to receive. On 3rd and short, the Wisconsin QB threw an INT right to a paralyzed UNLV LB. Wisconsin was clearly stunned as they allowed the Rebels to immediately march down the field with run after run after run. TD. UNLV 7-0.

In an additional first quarter note, both starting RBs for the game.

To begin the 2nd quarter, the Badgers marched down the field but the Rebels, continuing their unexplainable defensive dominance, held Wisconsin to field goal after a 1st and goal on the 3yd line. In response, UNLV once again, and gaining obvious momentum, marched down the field with conservative runs, setting up their kicker with a 34yd FG. UNLV 10, Wisc 3. UNLV made it to halftime.

Receiving the kick in the 2nd half and still feeling the momentum, UNLV gave it all away with their 1st mistake of the game: an INT on their side of the field. But this was the Rebel defenses' day. Once again Wisconsin was held to a FG. UNLV 10, Wisc 6.

The defensive battle continued with punt after punt, with the same score to begin the 4th quarter. An upset brewing.

Wisconsin marched down but was AGAIN held to a FG from 26yds out. With 5:23 left to play, 10-9 UNLV. UNLV then began their march chewing up some clock but having to punt with 2:19 left. Wisconsin ball, their own 14yd line. And all their timeouts. And finally hitting a big play. A streaking WR over the middle catches the ball and is caught from behind at the 8yd line. Game over? No. For the strangest reason in the world, Wisconsin chooses to pass the ball... right into the endzone and the open arms of a UNLV CB. 1:30 left. UNLV ball at the 25yd line.

With all their timeouts, Wisconsin stops the UNLV run game 3 straight times and UNLV punts with 1:12 left. WIth new-found precision and momentum, Wisconsin marches down the field in their no-huddle offense and scores a TD with 35 seconds remaining. They complete the 2-pt conversion. Wisc 17, UNLV 10.

With 2-timeouts, an uncanny determination and poise that will serve the Rebels well moving forward most likely, UNLV manages to proceed to Wicsonsin's 20yd line with 13 seconds on the clock. They failed to get it in the endzone.

The upset bid was gone.

Rookie Coach Hale, already with a target on his back from a few of the media proponents, claiming a no-win situation with a short contract and "terrible" team, had this to say after the game: "Screw 'em all. We came to play. We will be there next week as well. I think probably the week after that we will be there as well... idiots. Welcome to UNLV football."

Game Notes: The Wisconsin QB lived off of QB scrambles after finding noone open time and time again. Injuries affected the game as UNLV lost their 1st and 2nd string RB in the first half while Wisconisn also lost their starting RB. A handful of other players went down with minor injuries as well.

Stats of the Game: The UNLV defense held the Badgers to 292 total offense, grabbing 2INTs and sacking their QB twice. UNLV dominated the T.O.P. 18min to 12.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ThePlague0208

ThePlague0208 Walk On

Tough break. Way to hang in there til the end vs a ranked opponent. I wish the Mean Green had showed some heart this week like the Rebels did.

3. AndyVanSlyke

AndyVanSlyke Walk On

Off the hot seat my friend. Stock up?

4. vatechhokie01

vatechhokie01 Anglican Priest and Beer-snob

If I were a dbag sandbagging politician/coach like too many in the NCAA, I would say: hey, i dont care if my seat is hot. its about building strong kids, a strong program, and taking one game at a time. I'll let the sports-gurus sort out the sexy stuff.

But, alas, that is about the anti-thesis of me...

Heck yea! We are coming for blood! Darn right my butt should be off the hot seat! I don't want to get fired and my team is coming to play! Print it!