Home Field Advantage

Discussion in 'Chompion's League' started by H22APWRD94, Aug 22, 2013.

1. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I have a few thoughts that I shared with Spayer419 via text last night, but wanted some other input. I am amazed at the effect HFA has on the visiting team. To me, it seems overpowered, but, that is just my view. I am amazed at how bad your defense gets when on the road. I have a very veteran team. All but one starter (true freshman center) is a junior or senior, and all but 4 starters were starters last season as well. I don't know if the zone defense is just horrible anyway, but I could not compete playing zone defense, and I refuse to play man every freaking down, as it is just not realistic. My starting secondary is rated 86+ for zone defense, yet my SS (91 zone, 86 awr, SR) just stood there in cover 2 as a post route is thrown almost directly to him. The LB and CB underneath were less than 2 yards from the WR (Odell), and the SS never came downhill. It is a pass that never should have been completed, and the outcome should have been any number of things, but it ended up as a TD. The LSU WR made the catch, and the SS continued to stand there, never moving towards the WR, or attempting to make the tackle, and he walked right around him and cruised another 10 yards for the TD. I tried switching to the SS, but ended up switching to one of the underneath guys. It seems as if HFA automatically goes +30 AWR to the home team, and -30 AWR to the visitor. Like I said, just seems a little overpowered. Not even going to get into the QB thing regarding that. A whole different rant there. And I feel that the HFA is the same for playing at Death Valley as it is for going into Knoxville and playing the Commodores. Those are definitely not the same environments.

2. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

been preaching this for a while now. It's ridiculous how bad qb accuracy is in general and on the road. Some of the throws that I see my qb make aren't even remotely close to where I'm attempting to throw. And it doesn't seem to matter who you have. Ball just goes all over the place just because you're on the road. It sucks but hey. What can you do?

3. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Off the top of my head, wins by users on the road through 1.5 years

Nebraska at Penn State
    aTm at LSU
    Arkansas at LSU
    Arkansas at Florida
    Oregon at Stanford
    Oregon at USC
    Oregon at aTm

• Like Like x 1
  4. jandy

jandy Walk On

It's been mentioned before, but it's all about building momentum. Young quarterbacks with low throw accuracy to begin with are going to struggle. Ways to overcome this include sticking to the run game and throwing short, high percentage throws. Early turnovers can also adversely affect a quarterback.

I personally love home field advantage. It makes it more realistic. It's difficult to win on the road in any sport, and the harsh environment of an in-conference road game is something I look forward to going into. You really learn a lot about your team in those situations

• Like Like x 3
  5. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

Would u consider 85 low accuracy? Because that's my QB accuracy rating and we can't even complete bubble screens...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

My QB is an 85 THA (which I would indeed consider to be low) and has completed 75% of his passes this year

• Like Like x 2
  7. Antonio T.

Antonio T. Walk On

Playing my third road game in 4 and fourth in 5 next week, I do see the frustration in this. 11 of my 13 picks Kevin Hogan has thrown this year have come in road games.

8. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

This.

HFA might be a bit overpowered, but it is not unbeatable. I just played Bama (A+ in everything) on the road today. For almost the full first half HFA was in full effect. Yeldon and Co were running me over, their QB, Alec Morris, had only one incompletion through the first 13 minutes, and I had to fight for every yard I got.

I made sure to keep my passes as high percentage as freaking possible. Better to come up short on 3rd down and punt than give them the ball with good field position. I ran the ball and churned out yards as best I could. I did my best to keep enough in the box to at least slow down the run while not getting torched in the passing game. Bama took advantage of me twice through the air for TDs because I was trying to limit Yeldon though.
    I was down 14-10 with 1:47 left in the half. Usually I would get really aggressive and probably throw a pick to set them up before half. I set out to throw the ball, but I resisted trying to beat the coverage deep, because I knew their DBs would undercut the route and pick it off if I didn't have enough separation. Instead I dumped it off to the underneath routes that were more open and strung together enough passes to work the ball down the field. I even ran the ball some when I got into the red zone in order to bleed the clock down to 27 seconds before I dove in for the TD to make it 17-14.

On the next drive, Bama got overaggressive like I usually do. They threw me a pick 6. Like I said, Alec Morris had only thrown one errant pass the whole game so far.

After the pick 6, momentum was completely shifted. Bama didn't score a point in the second half and I played ball control, Arkansas style, the rest of the game. I didn't even throw for 200 yards, but I didn't have a turnover either.

Point is, I could have gotten frustrated when they moved the ball almost at will early in the game. I could have succumbed to HFA, but I kept my cool and didn't force ANYTHING (which is very uncommon of me honestly).

• Like Like x 1
  9. Antonio T.

Antonio T. Walk On

Oh yeah, my only other issue with HFA has got to be the CPU's ability to break tackles, especially in the open field. I've probably seen over 100 broken tackles by the CPU this season, to my at the most I'd say 10. It has stop somewhere. Can we look into a slider on this for next season?

10. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Not forcing the issue is such an important element of winning games, especially user games. Go look at the stats of any user game that's been played in this dynasty. If you look at interceptions you can generally determine who's won the game

11. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Fumble returned for TD was the only reason I overcame my picks against Arkansas. That one was a slobberknocker.

12. cyhiphopp

cyhiphopp Walk On

Yeah we talked about the Running Back Ability slider. Unfortunately, in order to get the CPU to consistently run the ball, you have to boost the slider. It makes really good RBs ridiculous sometimes. If you drop the slider too much though the CPU will just ignore the run and pass most of the time. It's a tenuous balance.

13. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

It is what it is. I hate complaining as much as the next guy, but its pretty overpowered. I'd like to look at the sliders going forward, but I'll support anything the commish decides.

14. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

A senior QB, 93 OVR, 85 AWR, 92 THP, 85 THA, that is not an errant QB. I would not expect him to be perfect, but 50% or below on the road is bullshit, especially for a 3 year starter. And I can't even hit short passes to start...

15. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

Is everybody still having freezing issues that we are still having all these restarts as well? man, it is a minimum of 2 every week. No offense, but I hope proof is being shown of the issue.

16. jandy

jandy Walk On

I'll speak for myself and say that mine was due to a playbook issue. I played on Spayer's PS3 and didn't choose the correct playbook to roll with.

17. ssuwr86

ssuwr86 Walk On

+1000