homebrew thread

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Eyeke, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

I didn't want to hijack the beer thread but searched for a thread in regards to this and didn't see one. I'm curious how many of you guys do homebrewing. Right now I'm specifically interested in anyone who homebrews Mead.

I've been homebrewing for 8 years now, I've made 20 batches of various beers but mainly light beers, red and white wines and various fruit wines from local orchards including peach, plum and last fall I made a batch of dandelion wine that was AMAZING (Yes, I picked enough dandelions to make a batch)

I'm wanting to start a batch of mead in June when the farmers market opens and I'm curious if anyone has any tips. I made some in 2008 that I'm still enjoying. It has aged to be drinkable but it's still too sweet at the start and then kicks your ass on the back. I'm looking for something that doesn't seem like you're squirting honey in your mouth then chasing it with whiskey.

Post your homebrew success/failures and any mead ideas you have please. If anyone has questions about getting into this I'd love to help there too. It's the best hobby I ever picked up. Thanks in advance

2. KnightNoles

KnightNoles Learn to Compete

3. hammerhead1010

hammerhead1010 Walk On

I will be watching this thread, as I've been wanting to venture into home brewing for a while now.

4. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

Nice
    I recommend finding your local provider of supplies and seeing if they have classes. You can spend 20 minutes in there and tell if the people are there for a job or for a love of brewing. my local place is The Beer Nut and everyone there would kill their mother before giving up their passion. Usually community colleges will offer a "Lifelong Learning" type class or something to get you started.

Making beer just takes some space and a little time. It became cost effective for me after batch 6, where I was producing beer for cheaper than I could buy it. Wine is harder to be cost effective if you're buying the kits.. but if you can make fresh fruit wines or mead it's way cheap.

I cracked open another bottle of my 2008 mead last night and gave it a go. First taste was the best honey ever, followed by what I'm sure was jack daniels. I had a bit more and then i let a glass sit out for about an hour while I cleaned up dinner and got ready to head to a Triple-A baseball game. Just before leaving I tried it again.. sitting out had mellowed it to the most amazing drink I've ever had. After years of bitching about my product, all I had to do was let it sit a bit before hammering it and it would have been gold!

lessons learned, I'm excited to finish the '08 off and start making it more consistently going forward.

5. Iron Mickey

Iron Mickey I'd take her out for some casadias

6. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

what was the ingredient list of your last BREW?

7. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

Last thing I finished was Dandelion wine

• 1 Gallon dandelion flowers
    • 1 lb golden raisins
    • 3 lbs granulated sugar
    • 3 lemons
    • 2 orange
    • wine yeast / chemicals
    • 1 gallon water

I made a Brew Free or Die IPA in October, it's aging nicely. I got it bottled the first week of December and gave bottles of peach wine and IPA as christmas gifts.

8. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

Hack is rollin' with the Mr. Beer Kit....he has told me about some pretty cool Homebrews he has come up with

9. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

Nice
    I don't get crazy and freelance with beer. Too much can go skunky. I get a little crazier with my fruit wines because the cost of making them is so low and i can always mix them into something if they don't taste great on their own.

10. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

I have made a few homebrews utilizing the 2-gallon Mr. Beer Kit. With not having much space in an apartment, it is tough to warrant a need for a larger kit but once I get a house, I plan to upgrade to a much nicer system.

The results of Mr. Beer usually lean towards a sweeter beer, but they do have some recipes available that add plenty of bitterness to minimize the "ciderish" homemade affect.. Ill post some pics later from some that I have brewed up lately.

11. Iron Mickey

Put them up fag-ass

12. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    It's going to be hard for him to find pictures since he consumes any alcohol within reach at such a high clip.

• Like Like x 1
  13. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

These are the two that I am currently drinking:

[​IMG]
    X-Treme X-Sport

Mr Beer Recipe Includes:
    • 1 Can West Coast Pale Ale HME
    • 1 Can Pale Export UME
    • 1 Pouch Boosterâ„¢
    • 1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast
    • 1 Packet Tettnanger Hops

I added:
    • Nothing

Flavor Profile:
    • ABV: 6.2% [Calculated with hydrometer]
    • IBU (Bitterness): 21 [Moderate]

[​IMG]
    St. Patrick's Irish Stout

Mr Beer Recipe Includes:
    • 1 Can St. Patrick's Irish Stout HME
    • 1 Pouch Boosterâ„¢
    • 1 Packet Dry Brewing Yeast

I added:
    • 1 Can Cream Brown UME
    • 1/2 Cup Honey
    • 1/2 Cup Brown Sugar

Flavor Profile:
    • ABV: 6.5% [Calculated with hydrometer]
    • IBU (Bitterness): 32 [Noticeable]

14. Emmdotfrisk

That TAMU Decanter you have in the background is sick. Whats filling that badboy? Crown?

• Like Like x 1
  15. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Ha thank you sir.. And yeah you guessed it, Crown Royal. Got a bottle of Crown Reserve that is about to get the nod soon (shown in the first pic).

16. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

Sounds pretty solid @HackGolfer My father and I have looked into those homebrew kits, may push that idea this summer.

--Off Topic--

Saw an ad on ESPN for JD Tennessee Honey...gonna give that a go.

17. Emmdotfrisk

nice nice. I've never had CR-R, I may have to try it. I've heard some good things about it but am not sure if I will like it. I am more of a single malt scotch guy, something about the smokey flavors with a lil bitter bite gets me going. Do you think I would like it?

18. Emmdotfrisk

Hack has been in my ear about Mr. Beer for a good year now. When I have some time I may ask hack to play a consulting role and give er my first role. For my first brew I want the hoppiest IPA possible.

19. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

Just saw that today as well.. Looks fantastic

20. Iron Mickey

What the hell is all that wine in the background you homo?

@HackGolfer

21. Cimmy24

Cimmy24 Candy Ass Self

I don't know if it is what you're looking for, but 90 Minute IPA by DogfishHead is a pretty good IPA that is pretty hoppy. If you can get it out in CO give it a shot.

22. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

I have a 21 year old Glenlivet Malt Scotch that is tough to beat.. Crown Reserve is a pretty solid whiskey though. Has a light sweetness to it and a lot of rye in the mash, which gives it a "woodsy" effect, but in all, I would say its flavor profile is closer to a bourbon than anything.

23. HackGolfer

HackGolfer Administrator

The GF has to have something to drink too pal.. If you didn't have your nose up a hooker's crack all the time, you may notice what your wife drinks. :D

• Like Like x 1
  24. Iron Mickey

Someone say Hookers!!?? Where??

25. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

Going to make up a batch of this either later this week or first of next.

Ingredients

5 Gallons 100% Apple Juice
    2 pounds of honey (haven't decided what kind)
    1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

Will be my winter drink.

warm some up in a saucepan with a stick of cinnamon and some rum.. amazing.
    [​IMG]