Houston recruiting and game summaries 2010

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Dru50, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

Houston recruiting and game summaries 2010

Houston opens 2010 season with win vs Hawaii 56-24

The season opened on a good note, with a big win against a pretty good Hawaii team. The final score is not indicative of the tone of the game, as the game was competive through 3 quarters. In the late 3rd and 4th quarter, the defense took over and was able to get some stops and allow the offense to blow the game open. Keenum threw for over 300 yards, 4 TD's and no picks, adding another 48 yards on the ground. Beall (starting HB) also had a good game, with nearly 100 yards running on about 15 carries and another 5 catches.

2. Dru50

Houston gets big out of conference win vs Fresno State 42-20

This was a good game, where Houston quite frankly got a bit lucky to stretch out a big lead. 2 fumbles by Beall were luckily recovered by alert Houston lineman and Keenum was quietly efficient in the passing game. The Fresno State running game was solid early but couldn't keep up with the Houston passing attack.

On a side note, this was a very entertaining game, and Max's running game is solid. I had a really hard time slowing him down and if the fumbles had turned the other way it would have been much closer when the disconnect occurred in the middle of the 3rd quarter.

3. Dru50

Houston overpowers rival UTEP for 3-0 start

The rivalry this year was a bit one sided, as the undermanned Miners couldn't keep up with the Cougars. The game was started with the Houston passing game moving the ball, punctuated by 3 TD runs inside the 10 by Beall. 2 first half turnovers by UTEP helped Houston build a 28-0 halftime lead. The second half saw the Cougars rely almost solely on the running game, with only 2 passes thrown. The final score was 56-14.

Keenum continued his solid start to 2010 (although with limited opportunities), going 14-15 for over 150 yards and a TD. Beall was the player of the game, with nearly 250 yards running and 5 rushing TD's.

4. Masler

Masler Moderator

good game man...someday when i have a better team we'll have a closer game lol

5. Dru50

Keenum leads Cougars on miracle drive to upset #2 Texas 35-31

The Cougars came out rough in this big game, fumbling the opening kickoff, but the Houston defense was able to hold Texas to only a FG. From there, Keenum and Beall would dominate the first half, moving the ball with a short to medium passing game and enough runs to keep the Longhorns honest. The first half ended with Houston up 21-10.

The second half kickoff showed Texas wouldn't go down easy however, as they returned it 90 yards for a TD to close the gap to 21-17. Keenum would lead another efficient drive for a TD to push the lead back to 11. At 28-17, the game began to turn. Texas' offense went into overdrive, hitting huge plays in the passing game, and Keenum got his first two picks of the season, both on balls tipped at the line of scrimmage. With 5 minutes to go in the 4th, the Cougars had the ball down 31-28. Keenum led them down the field and the FG kicker flat out whiffed on a 35 yarder, score still 31-28. Texas gets the ball, runs off a couple minutes and punts it to Houston, who after a 14 yard return had the ball at the 40. A dropped pass, a sack and Keenum's second tipped pick made it look pretty bleak for the Cougars. After that drive, Texas had the ball at their own 45 with 2 minutes to play, up 3 points. The only hope was that Houston had all their timeouts. The defense proved up to the challenge, forcing a 3 and out, but Texas ran every play which forced Houston to use all their TO's. A tremendous punt by Texas was downed inside the 10 yard line, and from there it was all Keenum.

Keenum had 1:12 seconds to drive the length of the field, and the Houston coach told him 'I have confidence in you son, this is what you dreamed about all those years in pop warner and high school football. Don't leave this to our kicker, take em down for the TD and let's go home.' Keenum did just that, coming out in 4 wides, 1 HB and marching down the field in 6 plays. The no huddle attack confused the Texas defense and Keenum passed for the winning TD with 1 second to play.

Flat out, this was probably the most fun game vs the CPU I've played in NCAA 2010. The last drive was crazy and I nearly jumped and cheered when I hit the TD to win it. If Keenum isn't in the Heisman race after this game (460 yards passing, 3 TD's) I'm going to request a congressional inquiry.

6. Dru50

Keenum throws 7 TD's to lead Houston to 5-0 start

Houston lined up against rival Tulsa and at the start looked they may have overlooked their lower ranked rival. The Houston defense stopped Tulsa's first drive, and on the first play of the resulting Houston possession, Keenum was hit on a throw, leading to a wobbly duck INT for a TD. Keenum came back strong, leading Houston on 3 consecutive TD drives.

Houston was able to effectively move the ball through the air for the first half against the Tulsa 4-2-5, and then in the second half Beall helped to ice the game with some long runs, including a 91 yarder for a TD.

For the game, Keenum had 450+ passing yards and 7 TD's and Beall ended with nearly 200 yards on the ground.

The team needs to seriously work on the defensive side of the ball, as they were unable to get off the field on 3rd down, and the offensive line's pass blocking left a lot to be desired, as all 3 of Keenum's INT's were the result of defensive lineman coming in unblocked leading to duck passes.

7. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Glad to know I'm not the only one getting fired up with great wins like this one...

8. Dru50

I think the reason I got so into it was that I had been leading the entire game, and then in the 4th the CPU just went into 'F-U' mode and nothing I did worked until that last minute. Overcoming when the CPU really wants to screw you is a satisfying feeling.

But it also made the game feel realistic, since Houston would probably have to have a miracle like that to beat the Longhorns.

9. Dru50

Houston continues winning ways, beating overmatched Tulane 48-3

Not much to say about this game, Tulane was out of it from the get go, as their defense couldn't prevent anything the Cougars wanted to do offensively. Keenum continued his Heisman push (moving to #3 this week) with nearly 400 yards, 5 TD's and no picks. Beall was solid again, gaining over 100 yards on the ground with a long TD run.

Was a great week on the recruiting front as well, as the #1 DT (5 star) in this years class committed to Houston over FSU, Texas and Oklahoma after a visit in week 5.

10. Dru50

Houston overpowers hapless Memphis 84-0

As the score would indicate, this was a blowout from the start. The Memphis offense was shut down all day by the Houston defense and Memphis inexplicably decided that running 4-3 and blitzing Keenum and the Cougars 3 and 4 wide sets was a good idea. This led to one on one matchups all over the field which Keenum used to further his heisman campaign. He caught Memphis covering slot receivers in man coverage with a linebacker and no safety help deep for 3 long TD's on corner routes. Keenum finished after the 1st drive of the 3rd quarter with nearly 430 yards passing and 8 TD's. Beall and the backup RB's took it over in the second half, racking up 255 yards on the ground.

A big battle looms after Houstons bye week vs Conference USA foe Southern Miss and their Heisman candidate at WR. This game likely sets up who wins the conference in the regular season.

On the recruiting trail, Houston landed a commit from a 4 star kicker, who will step in and start next season.

11. Dru50

No game this week with the big matchup vs Southern Miss looming, so Houston is focusing on recruiting. The Cougars have filled 4 scholarships and are chasing another 10 recruits, including a 4 star QB and 4 star WR who would both have a great chance at starting next year, with Keenum and 2 of the top 4 WR's graduating.

The game against Southern Miss not only significantly impacts the Conference USA race but also the Heisman trophy, with the top 2 frontrunners for the award facing off in what looks to be a shootout in the making.

12. Dru50

Houston clears another C-USA hurdle, beating Southern Miss 42-14

Good game by both coaches, Southern Miss was just hurt by the fact that Keenum and the running game were both clicking for Houston (Keenum threw for 250 yards, 4 TD's, no INT's and Beall ran for 106 yds and a TD) and the Houston defense was able to sufficiently corral the Southern Miss fleXbox One option game and Heisman leader Deandre Jordan. I don't have the stats in front of me, but I think Houston held Jordan to under 100 yds and I believe Jordan had one of the two Southern Miss TD's. It will be interesting to see if this win is enough to vault Keenum past Jordan in the Heisman race.

This win was one of the last tough C-USA games left for the Cougars, with only a home game against UCF as a possible spoiler to an undefeated conference season. The remaining two C-USA games are against bottom dwelling teams and I would expect the Cougars to handle them.

An undefeated season and possible national title berth will hinge on a visit to Tallahassee late in the season to face the currently #22 Florida State Seminoles.

13. Dru50

Houston moves to 9-0 with victory vs UCF 51-17

Houston continued to roll on offense, with the Cougars able to move the ball at will against the nights all game, racking up nearly 600 yards of total offense. Keenum continued his stellar play, going 22-33 for 407 yards, 5 TD's and 1 INT. Beall also had another solid outing with 16 carries for 114 yards and 2 TD's. Keenum continued to spread the ball around, hitting 7 receivers on his 22 completions.

On the recruiting trail, Houston has picked up commitments to date from the following recruits:

QB Rashaud Carr (#11 QB, 4 star)
    SS Lee Harris (#41 SS, 3 star)
    K Adam Bailey (#2 K, 4 star)
    DT Dustin Brock (#1 DT, 5 star)
    ATH Ronnie Brooks (#5 ATH, 4 star)
    QB David Barry (#32 QB, 2 star)

Houston currently has 11 more available scholarships and has soft commitments from a 3 star OLB and 3 star CB. One of the 4 star slots that is left hopefully will be filled by WR Eric Hargrove (who we are competing against UTEP to sign), who was visiting for the UCF game , along with 3 of the top 6 recruits on Houstons board.

14. Dru50

Houston routs SMU 66-14

SMU was sorely outmanned in this game, as the Houston offense marched up and down the field at will and the defense gave up yards but not many points. Keenum led the Cougars on 6 first half scoring drives, ending the half up 38-7. Keenum played the opening half of the first series, finishing with another stellar day of 400 yards passing and 5 TD's. Beall played one quick series after Keenum was sitting, but it was a short one, as he took an off tackle handoff 79 yards to the house. Beall finished with nearly 180 yards on the ground and 2 TD's. The backups played the last 5 minutes of the 3rd and the entire 4th quarter, and even running nothing but dive plays up the middle, the backups put up another 2 TD's to end the game.

Next up - If I recall, my next game is the big one vs Florida State. Unfortunately, I don't think even a win in that game is going to be enough to give me a shot at the national title game. Wisconsin is undefeated and #1, and has already played the big boys of the Big 10 and Boise St at #2 just cleared what is probably their last big hurdle of the season.

15. Dru50

Houston gets huge road win vs underacheiving Florida State 51-21

This was a truly surprising game. Case Keenum had his worst outing of the season, throwing 3 picks (although all were on tipped passes and he did throw for nearly 500 yards and 4 TD's in three quarters), and the Houston defense had it's most impressive outing of the year, holding Florida State scoreless until the game was well out of hand.

Keenum played longer than I might have against a lesser opponent, but FSU is an A+ rated team and I didn't want to take chances early in the 3rd on a CPU god mode comeback. Beall had a workmanlike 100 yards on 21 carries (his most on the season in a single game).

This was the last true hurdle to an undefeated regular season. I'm pretty certain I will be matching up with JHeb's Southern Miss team in the CUSA title game, but it looks unlikely that even if I can win there that it will be enough to vault into the top 2. My only hope is a Wisconsin loss.

16. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

Consistent game summaries...I like them...Thanks! Maybe we'll match up again in the CUSA title game...If so, I hope for a better performance from my guys...They let me down last time. Ha....

17. Dru50

I'm sure it will be a tighter game. I really am nervous about a rematch where I have everything to lose and you have everything to gain. Plus I got lucky in game 1 with some dropped passes by your guys that stopped some drives. Should be a good rematch either way.

18. MaxAttack360

MaxAttack360 Walk On

Wisconsin lost to Michigan! Looks like there could be a User-User championship after all.

19. Dru50

I saw that when we advanced. I still have to get by a rematch with JHeb's Southern Miss squad in the C-USA title game, so I'm not going to look ahead to anything but that at this point.

20. Dru50

Houston completes undefeated regular season beating rival Rice 63-21

In Case Keenum's final game in Houston (even though it was at Rice's stadium), he didn't disappoint the Cougar faithful. Keenum led a flawless offensive performance, as he has all year, throwing for over 400 yards and 6 TD's (5 of which were in the first half). The game was close for a quarter and then Houston began to pull away. Coach Dru admitted that in the first drive of the 3rd quarter, which Keenum played but handed off until inside the 10 yard line, that he was looking to get Case a chance to beat the Houston record for TD passes in a season. Case got the record on a play action pass to his favority red-zone target, his TE Scrouten. Coach Dru felt that Case had played well and wanted to get him the record so that it wouldn't be hanging over his head in the C-USA title game.

This was a great week as well for Houston, as they moved into the #2 spot in the BCS due to an upset loss by previous #1 Wisconsin to Michigan. Coach Dru swears the team isn't looking ahead to any bowl game yet, since they have a likely rematch with C-USA foe Southern Miss in the conference championship game.

Next up - Bye week.

Coming soon - recruiting update and season statistics/thoughts will be posted tonight.

21. Dru50

Houston end of regular season report

Offense
    Quarterback - Fabulous, amazing, incredible. All words that can describe Case Keenum's 2010 season at QB. He broke the single season Houston record for TD passes with 56, and he has a shot at the NCAA record of 58 with a conference championship and bowl game to play. He is likely going to shatter the single season NCAA record for QB rating, barring a total collapse in the last two games. Going into Houston's final game Keenum is the leader for the Heisman and O'Brien awards and is a finalist for the Maxwell award. Grade - A+

C. Keenum (senior) QB - 220.4 rating, 4,655 yards, 56 TD, 9 INT, 72% completion

Running Back - Junior HB Brick Beall has had a great season, quiet only nationally due to the stellar play of Keenum and the Houston passing game. He only gets about 17-18 carries a game, but has made the most of them. Beall's season has earned him consideration for the Maxwell award (5th place going into final game) and the Walker award (4th place going into final game). He has also only fumbled twice all season. If Beall comes back next season, he is expected to contend for all major RB awards as the offense will center on the running game. Backup senior RB Andre Kohn would likely start at many programs, but he has performed admirably in spot duty and as the primary returner. Grade - A

B. Beall (junior) RB - 198 carries, 1,599 yards, 8.0 avg/carry, 21 rushing TD, 31 rec, 483 yards, 4 rec TD's
    A. Kohn (senior) RB - 79 carries, 487 yards, 6.1 avg/carry, 8 rushing TD

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends - Keenum wouldn't be anywhere without this stellar group of receivers. This is a group all about 'team' with the top 5 receivers all catching between 45 and 55 passes. The primary red-zone target has been senior TE Wes Scourten who has hauled in an amazing 23 TD catches. They've shown the ability to go deep (each one of the 5 have at least a catch of 45 yards) and make the tough grabs over the middle of the field. Only downside is 3 of the 5 are seniors along with Keenum so there will be some rebuilding in 2011. Grade - A+

W. Scourten (senior) TE - 55 rec, 820 yards, 23 TD
    P. Edwards (junior) WR - 46 rec, 897 yards, 6 TD
    L. Castile (senior) WR - 46 rec, 828 yards, 11 TD
    J. Cleveland (senior) WR - 46 rec, 805 yards, 4 TD
    T. Carrier (junior) WR - 45 rec, 783 yards, 4 TD

Offensive Line - Led by senior captain LT Jarve Dean, the offensive line has been a strength all year in the passing game and the running game, as evidenced by the great season on offense in 2010. Downside is that 3 of the 5 starting OL are seniors, so this will be another area of rebuilding in 2011. Grade - A.

Defense

Defensive Line - This unit was pretty solid all year, led by senior DT Isaiah Thompson, who paced the defense with tackles for loss (21) and sacks (8). There is some youth here, with the remaining positions manned by 2 juniors and a redshirt freshman. The coaching staff would have liked to see more constant QB pressure and big plays (the line only combined for 21 sacks all season). Grade - B.

Linebackers -
    While this unit was young, they were probably the strongest group on defense, with junior ROLB Marcus McGraw and sophomore MLB Steve Robertson leading the defense with tackles, at 66 and 65 respectively. junior LOLB John McIntyre was dependable as well. Similar to the defensive line, the downside here was a lack of big plays with only 1 sack and 2 INT's for the group. Houston doesn't blitz LB's often so the sacks are not much of a concern but blitzes were largely ineffective. The upside is that it is likely all 3 will return next season so hopes are high for a strong 2011 showing. Grade - B-.

Secondary - The play here was great, highlighted by the play of the #1 overall prospect from 2009, true freshman CB Todd Johnston. He started every game, finishing with 32 tackles, 3 INT's and 6 pass deflections. His best game of the year came in the regular season meeting with Southern Miss and record breaking WR DeAndre Jordan. In this meeting, Johnston held Jordan to 4 catches for 52 yards, both well below his season averages. Seniors Jack Candy at FS and Jamal Robertson at the other CB position played solid football, as did junior SS Nick Saenz. As was the case with the defense in general the only problem was a lack of turnovers, with the group only combining for 6 INT's. Grade - B-.

All in all, a storybook regular season for the Houston program.

22. Dru50

Houston recruiting report

Houston has 17 seniors and a full roster, so 17 scholarships are available. As of the close of the regular season, the Houston recruiting board is as follows:

Commitments

#32 QB David Barry (2 star) - B- speed, B- THP, C THA
    #5 ATH Ronnie Brooks (4 star) - B+ speed, B Agility, B- man/zone coverage
    #1 DT Dustin Brock (5 star) - C+ speed, B- strength, B tackle, B+ block shedding
    #2 K Adam Bailey (4 star) - C+ kicking power/accuracy
    #41 SS Lee Harris (3 star) - B+ speed, B zone coverage
    #11 QB Rashaud Carr (4 star) - C+ speed, B- THP, C+ THA
    #84 CB Dennis Ramirez (3 star) - B speed, B man coverage, B- acceleration
    #57 OLB Roy Thomas (3 star) - B- speed, B pursuit
    #115 DE John Harrison (2 star) - B- speed, C block shedding
    #62 WR Jon Bryan (3 star) - B speed
    #19 ATH Joe Stegall (JUCO-3 star) - B+ speed, B+ agility, B+ THP, B breaking tackle

Comments - Most of the players in this group will redshirt in 2011, with the exception of Ronnie Brooks, who will get a chance to start at FS, and Dustin Brock, who is almost guaranteed to start at DT. On offense, QB's David Barrry and Rashaud Carr will compete with redshirt sophomore Drew Hollingshead for the starting job. Athlete Joe Stegall will also likely get a look at QB, although his throwing accuracy is concerning. Adam Bailey will start 2011 at kicker.

Offers outstanding
    #9 WR Eric Hargrove (4 star) - A speed, B agility, Houston currently #1 (UTEP #2)
    # 32 WR Jonathan Bain (3 star) - B speed, B agility, Houston currently #1
    #141 CB Jesse Johnson (2 star) - B+ speed, B- man/zone coverage, Houston currently #2 (Southern Miss #1)
    #69 OT Dallas Parrish (2 star) - B strength, B- run blocking
    #96 OG Paul Smith (2 star) - B- strength, B run blocking

Comments - The star of this group would be Hargrove should Houston be able to out-recruit rival UTEP for his services. Hargrove is possibly the fastest player in this class and could immediately play in 2011. The remaining players are projects at positions that are always good to have depth to develop. Houston is not expecting to be able to land CB Johnson, which will likely free up another scholarship in the offseason.

Overall 11 players have committed (1 5 star and 3 4 star) with offers to 5 more outstanding. Assuming all offers are accepted except for CB Johnson, that would give Houston the ability to pursue 2 more recruits in the offseason.