Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars - S1W2

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Boom29, Sep 21, 2012.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

[​IMG][​IMG]

Jaguars Upset Texans
    Win in overtime 27-24

For the second time in as many week, the Jacksonville Jaguars came away with victory on a game-ending field goal.

After the Texas were unable to score in the first possession of overtime, the Jaguars took over around their thirty yard line and quickly made their way into Texans' territory. After a failed third and one from the 37 yard line, Kicker Josh Scobee booted a low kick against the win that barely managed to clear the crossbar.

The scoring began with the Texans putting on a passing exhibition as they steadily drove down the field before QB Matt Schaub hit WR Kevin Walter for a short TD pass. The Jaguars would tie the game on the next possession as WR Laurent Robinson broke a tackle attempt and sprinted 78 yards for the touchdown. Yet, with Jacksonville's inability to stop the Houston passing game, the Texans would again take the lead in the second quarter on a WR Mike Williams TD reception. The Jaguars would get three points back, but would go into halftime trailing 14-10.

With Houston receiving the ball in the second half, it was imperative for the Jaguars to keep the Texans out of the endzone and prevent falling behind by double-digits. In turn, the Jacksonville defense played its best quarter of the game, holding the Texans scoreless. The Jaguar offense for their part, would methodically make its way down the field before HB Maurice Jones-Drew plunged into the end zone from two yards out, giving the Jaguars a 17-14 third quarter lead.

As the fourth quarter began, the fortunes for the Jaguar defense ended as Houston again passed its way to a touchdown, again from Schaub to Williams, giving Houston a 21-17 lead. Now trailing, the Jaguar offense didn't panic and continued to run their offense. Maurice Jones Drew, who had been bottled up for most of the game, finally broke through and went untouched through the left side of the Houston defense for a 59 yard TD run.

With their team holding a 24-21 lead over the favored Texans the Jacksonville faithful were in a frenzy, but that couldn't stop Houston from coming back down the field to tie the game with under two minutes remaining. Each team would get a final chance to end the game in regulation, but their chances did not materialize, setting up the overtime period.

I Peench, Good game. You're right, the interception at the end of the half was key. If you score there, knowing you get the ball in the second half, would probably change my game plan. I think another key to me winning was that Arian Foster didn't really break any big runs and my defense generally tackled well. That at least forced you to drive down the field. On the other hand, I had two long TD plays and just one sustained drive for touchdown.

Notable Stats
    Jacksonville Jaguars Houston Texans
    QB Blaine Gabbert - 16/24, 270 yards, TD, 2 INT QB Matt Schaub - 26/36, 407 yards, 3 TD, INT
    HB Maurice Jones-Drew - 19 car, 137 yards, 2 TD, long 59 HB Arian Foster - 21 car, 78 yards, long 13
    WR Laurent Robinson - 6 rec, 141 yards, TD, long 79 WR Mike Williams - 8 rec, 151 yards, 2 TD, long 52
    WR Justin Blackmon - 5 rec, 78 yards, long 25 WR Andre Johnson - 8 rec, 132 yards, long 33
    OLB Clint Sessions - 8 tack (7 solo), 3 TFL, sack OLB Connor Barwin - 9 tack (9 solo), 2 TFL, INT

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

Great win man.

[​IMG]