Houston Texans Season 1 Roster Management

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by cnic75, Sep 15, 2011.

1. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

Trade Proposal:

Houston
    mario williams ROLB 89 A 26 1 @ 15,150,000
    kevin walter WR 78 B 30 4 @3,000,000

for

Seatlle
    earl thomas FS 82 A 22 4 @ 3,200,000
    mike williams WR 83 A 27 3 @ 2,700,000

Jmustang1968 BDSDIGITAL Bondzai007 Bl0ndeRedHead

2. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

haha no one ever wants to trade with other users

3. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Why would you want to trade hands down your best defensive player?

Yeah I know mustang. I wonder why.

Cnic. Could you offer your logic?

4. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

to me its upgrade at WR, upgrade and youth at FS and lowering his huge cap #....

also before offering trade, you need to look and see if Seattle can eat that cap hit.

5. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

I'm not sure if I were Seattle I'd accept that, I'd have to give Williams a new deal (a big one) and I'd lose two of my centerpieces of the future on offense AND defense.

6. BDSDIGITAL

I don't see how Houston could realistically trade their franchise player.

7. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

They probably wouldnt, but if someone wants to trade their franchise guy and they get good compensation I dont have a problem. I am just not sure the cap numbers agree here and I dont think each team would pull the trigger.
    If this was a user-user trade I think it would be great, but not cpu trade

8. BDSDIGITAL

I agree with this reasoning 100%. I don't like this trade from either side honestly.

Also, I have been assuming that the person proposing the trade for review has already verified the cap #'s. If they are not doing that they certainly should, shouldn't they?

I made a similar move in Perry's league with Nautica.

I traded him R.Seymour 93 ovr 15mil per year for Dwan Edwards 83 over DE /87 DT 3.5 ~ per year and a 3rd round pick.

That was a user v. user trade where I got what I wanted, which was much needed cap space, and cut from a position that I was already very deep at. I have 6 De/DT's on that team 80+ some as high as 85. My D Line will be very good with or without Seymour. And it cleared me 15~mil in cap space instantly.

Nautica got what he wanted which was to bolster his D Line, he had the $$ to make the move and losing the 3rd wasn't too big of a blow to him.

So in that case both parties walked away a winner, no one objected and the deal was approved without a hitch. Had that been me trading with the cpu it would have had much more scrutiny probably.

So along those lines, I'll vote to reject. cnic75 if you want to trade Williams, you should find a user to take him off your hands. Just my advice.

I'd be interested in him, except eating that 15 million would really hamper me improving the team the way it needs to be improved. If all I really needed on defense was a great pass rusher though, I'd really take a hard look at it.

9. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

I want to run the 3-4 and I really do not see Mario translating to OLB from DE. I have two good starters in Watt and Smith at DE so moving Mario back is not something I want to do. I would rather move Cushing over to the outside and have Sharpton and Ryans play the middle. I need help on the back end and I do not see Manning as the solution. Thomas would be the answer and would be there for the future (not quit a franchise player like Mario yet but will be in a couple years). I also need a legitimate #2 threat @ WR. Mike Williams gives me that. Also, I was looking to get the combined overalls as close to equal as possible.

Another reason for this is to obviously clear up cap space. This would get me out of the hole and Seattle was one of a few teams that could take Mario's contract.

This trade gives the Seahawks a franchise player in Williams and a serviceable WR in Walter to replace Mike Williams. It gives the Texans youth with a potential franchise player in Thomas and a legitimate #2 WR while clearing up cap space.

The real #1 reason for the trade is that I would get to add a Longhorn to the Texans to counter Kubiak's ag-sucky-ness.

Jmustang1968 BDSDIGITAL Bondzai007 Bl0ndeRedHead

10. BDSDIGITAL

hmmm... that's good reasoning too. Maybe there's a way that deal can be re worked to make it more palatable to the rest of the committee. You have to admit that's not a very realistic trade though.

11. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

12. BDSDIGITAL

not for me no.

13. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

How is Crabtree for Thomas better than essentially Mario for Thomas? Not trying to be argumentative; just trying to understand your thoughts.

14. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

And this is the big problem with cpu trades... user trades generally agree on each side that they are being benefited so they go with the trade. This is why I am trying to limit or discourage cpu trades...

15. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

Maybe we should ban user- cpu trades all together. Even with a trade committee, people are going to see the value of players differently. I definitely believe if the Seahawks were going to trade Thomas that they would take Mario before Crabtree.

16. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

My opinion is you get 1 CPU trade every 3 years or something like that, if not banning them completely

17. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

I dont believe the Seahawks run a 3-4 defense. Mario wouldnt make sense as a 4-3 OLB. Mario also has an extremely high cap number which would gives team pause.

18. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

Or we could just be very strict on them, and when the trade committee makes a decision that decision is respected even if one doesnt think it is reasonable. As cnic said, people value things differently. If we go by the 2/3 voting of the trade committee it will atleast be consistent if nothing else.

19. BDSDIGITAL

I don't see Seattle trading Earl Thomas at all. Why would they want crabtree? Why would they want Williams? Houston would pay hell trying to unload that cap # if they could even find a buyer. How often is a player like Thomas, crabtree, or Williams ever traded in the NFL? If a player like that is traded it's almost always a contract issue on the rare occasion that it's done or a playing time thing. If you or anyone else wants to trade a player like this you really should find a user to do it with. If out of the 15 other guys in this league you can't find 1 that will trade for him why should you or anyone be able to trade him to an a.I. That doesn't know better?

I stand by my vote. If you or anyone else wants to trade your super stars and want to move guys with 15 mil a year contracts find a user to do it with. Whats wrong with that?

20. IXI DECAY IXI

IXI DECAY IXI Walk On

Very well said. I don't ever see Williams putting on another jersey besides Houston's for a few years to come!

21. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

They do not run the 3-4. I would assume that they would move him back to DE. He does have a high cap number but it is only a one year deal. They would be able to re-sign him at $5 - $6 mil/per after the season so the cap number is only bad for this season.

22. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

I really do not see any of them being traded in RL either. I am not mad about any of this. I was just trying to understand your reasoning for saying yes to the Crabtree for Thomas trade and not the Williams for Thomas trade.

23. Jmustang1968

Jmustang1968 Walk On

We dont have that flexibility to change his position. Unfortunately, he would be a 4-3 OLB in Seattle

24. BDSDIGITAL

I didn't say yes to anything. I said he needed to bring more to the table. And Williams cap # is a major detriment.

25. cnic75

cnic75 The Legacy

End of Season Re-signings:

Arian Foster - 3 years @ $26,289,000 ($266,666 bonus)
    Mario Williams - 5 years @ $27,000,000 ($400,000 bonus)