How are things?

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Archie Griffin, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

How are things?

How goes it folks?

Just thought I'd drop by and see how you guys are doing. I've been crazy busy, but it looks like things are holding up pretty well around here.

I'd join you guys for some late-season games while we wait for the next game to come out, but I kind of did something drastic ...

... I bought a PS3.

I might join a league when things settle down for me. I won't be able to do anything close to what I did before, but I could probably fit in a few games and the occasional bit of trash talk.

I don't have the time to read all the posts, so someone give me a quick summary of the major events, champs and such. I'd like to catch up.

Looks like this place is still growing.

Go Bucks,

AG

2. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Hey AG! You'll be happy to know that Michigan has been dominating the Big Ten since your departure (not that it would've been any different if you were still here). Michigan is also making their first national championship game appearance this year after beating ND for the 1st time in 5 tries.

We've had some turn around (Dat, myself, Shaun, and Basis are the only ones left that started the OD) and we're holding at 10 solid guys instead of grabbing 2 random guys just to fill out the league.

Basis has won a couple of NCs. Dat has come 1 game away several times, but hasn't won yet.

While Michigan and ND has been extremely 1 sided on the field (Dat has my number big time) there have been some awesome recruiting battles between them.

Dat's 1/7/70/bonus guys system has worked out very, very well.

I'm sure others will chime in with other stuff.

3. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

National Championships
    2009 : Florida (Basis) 45, Notre Dame 42 (Dat)
    2010 : Georgia Tech (jmill) 35, Florida (Basis) 31
    2011 : Florida (Basis) 49, USC 26
    2012 : Penn State (Psycho) 37, Notre Dame (Dat) 34 OT
    2013 : Nebraska (Hova), Michigan (Jello) (Has not been played yet)

National News
    Florida went on a terror early and went 40-2 in the first 3 seasons on their way to three consecutive National Championship berths and winning 2 of them. Then the mass exodus of players leaving to the pros through the course of the 3 season took its toll and they have gone 26-10 in their last two seasons, which included a 7-6 record as defending champs in 2012.

Psycho takes over Penn State for the 2012 season, and in his first season goes 13-0 and wins the National Championship, following Florida's example of how a defending National Champ should play, promptly goes 9-4 the next season.

Notre Dame and Michigan continue to bicker as if they are the only one's playing and recruiting against each other... thing is Dat (I'm only assuming the smarter of the two :p ) has realized his smack talking can only extend as far as his empty trophy case, Jello is still trying to figure that one out. Of course Jello can rectify that this season with a win against Nebraska in this years National Championship game, then all he'll have to do is raise that glorious trophy when Dat talks, and Dat wil be stuck with the memories of two 3 point loses in the big game.

Nebraska finally gets a National Championship berth this season. In 2011 a cpu controlled two loss team gets in to play Florida in the NC over a Nebraska that was the only one to actually beat Florida... and I believe Nebraska only had one loss. In 2012, Notre Dame, Penn State, and Nebraska go undefeated... The Cornshovers are voted the weakest link and not sent an invitation to the big dance.

4. DatNDaz

DatNDaz Walk On

Things here have been good. We've gone away from putting a huge emphasis on content, and picked up the pace a little bit. Seems to be working out. I think what we've lost in communication/information we've gained in keeping all of our members engaged. Haven't seen nearly as much burn-out. Basis and I decided to tag-team the commish duties, but it's evolved into Basis handling it himself for the most part and he's done a great job. We've managed to bang out the offseason in a single night 3 seasons in a row now, which is soooo nice. I throw in my 2 cents on rules/etc from time to time but since we (finally) booted Amp we aren't running into any issues. We have a rock solid group right now.

I think the combination of recruiting, EA's slider patch, and us getting a pretty good set of sliders has made the CPU unbelievably competitive the last two seasons. I missed a clear shot at the title game in 2011 by losing the last game of the season to Rutgers. This year I lost to USC and had a great game with them last night in the Rose Bowl. Blowouts still happen, but not nearly as much. We've got guys losing 4-5 games to the CPU a year. To me this has made the last 2.5 seasons the best I've ever experienced in the NCAA franchise. CPU is competitive without being too cheap. It's a lot of fun.

As mentioned, I'm the Buffalo Bills of the league. 2 3-point losses in the big game, a one score loss to GTech in the last game of the 2010 season and a loss to Rutgers in the last game of the 2011 season kept me out of the NC game. This was my first 2-loss season with 1-score losses to Jello and USC, but if not for a few close wins I could have lost 4 or 5. I've lost my mojo a little bit offensively and have been trying some new things. Devin Archie, the top ranked QB a few years back that you and I competed on, just finished his first year as a starter (redshirt soph). Jello is ecstatic that his mobile QB from the same class had a better passer rating than Archie and beat him head to head.

Hope you're well and can get back in a league here at some point.

5. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Well hello there AG! You will be happy to know that Dat missed you SO much, he recruited a quarterback named Archie! :D

Things have been pretty good here! I'm sure you notice how many new faces there are -- we had a couple weeks where there was a lot of turnover with people's lives taking them in different paths. The time also came for us to part ways with AMP.

I'll pretty much echo what Dat said. After winning my 2nd title, I went on to go 7-6 in embarassing fashion. This season, 10-4 was an improvement. The sliders are tough, and you really have to manage the momentum. Every game I have played since the sliders changed a couple of seasons ago has felt like a user game. Couple that with how intense recruiting is, and it really has been a fulfilling experience.

Glad to hear from ya!

6. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I check in from time to time as well...I hated to get out when I did but it was the right thing to do...We moved and the home we're in (for now) would be hard to set up an internet connection for my XBox so I'm still "offline" since I retired from the league. I also burned myself out a bit with my OU blog, etc. I miss the day-to-day interactions with the league, the recruiting battles, weekly scores, etc. I'd like to think I could "maybe" have a chance to get back in someday, maybe after NCAA 11 comes out and I get things set up proper around here.

I'll agree with the others that things have gone well overall since AG left but AG leaving, for me, kind of took some of the air out of it. Probably b/c he was the one who recruited me into the OFFL and all that. I will say though that Basis and Dat have been great leaders for The E and having Jello around is great. IMO if Basis, Dat or Jello left, it'd be really tough on The E.

7. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    Good to hear from you Archie!

Army has steadily improved over the years we have been playing. After a few very hard .500 years they finally started winning. Despite not yet winning a user game, they finished this season ranked and 11-2 overall.

I am in two of the most active leagues here (E-League and The Deuce) and I am still enjoying the game.

TF has steadily grown, and I have started to play the technical role around here. We just moved to a dedicated server. Ryno went to EA last week to play test NCAA '11.

Anyway, good to see you around.

8. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Hey guys, this might as well come out in the open now.

For 11, Shaun will be taking over the commish duties from Dat and me. He is a good commish, and has said that he would accept the role if that is what was wanted from Dat and me.

Also for 11, we'll be merging completely with TF and will be a premier league under their system. With AG being the OFFL glue in the past, since his departure things have fizzled in their own league-specific directions. We'll be branded as something along the lines of TF: The Experience.

9. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

wow big news, congrats shaun. I'm looking forward to the fresh start in 11 haha.

10. Psycho

Psycho Walk On

That's awesome, that means in NCAA'11 I can actually beat Basis and not worry about getting kicked out of the league. :D

11. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    But we might have another Big Ten team.

Go Bucks:)

12. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Someone a little tired of losing all of their user games?

(Just don't expect to get that first win against the Wolverines cuz that ain't gonna happen, despite the talent advantage you're going to start with)