how can i record in HD from my ps3

Discussion in 'Locker Room' started by TRudethaDude, Jul 22, 2009.

1. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

how can i record in HD from my ps3

my setup is as follows.... i have my ps3 going out with HDMI to my tv. how can i possibly record in HD? the video of lsu and georgia when you first get on TF.com is great. somebody please help me as id love to stockpile my games for the history books!!!

2. jfosh

jfosh Super

3. Newb Slice

Newb Slice Walk On

i had i a hauppauge and liked the quality only thing is you cant stream your feed live to the internet and it takes for ever to convert hour long TS files to WMV for me and often lead to my laptop over heating i think i ended up selling mine for 150 shipped on ebay with out the CD

4. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

right on guys. thanks for the replies. im a do my research on that product. in the meantime try to follow me on this one. i have/had and idea.... buy an hdmi splitter 1in/2out... out of ps3 into the splitter and one out to the tv to game and one out to a dvd recorder. the catch is there is no hdmi inputs on dvd recorders. so what if my out goes to a cpu? i think that might work. or b) hdmi out to my surround receiver in and then component out of the receiver if possible to a dvd recorder. anyone tried that or know if id be wasting my time?

5. skipwondah33

skipwondah33 Walk On

Connecting it to the PC would work, but of course you need a graphics card with HDMI input and capture. This is actually the set up I was putting together after my vacation, I have my card pre-ordered.

6. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

ok so i bought the hauppage 1212. im sure im going to like it once i educate myself on how to use it. the other thing is my laptop which is a hppavilion6780se has an hdmi in port..... maybe i didnt need to buy the hauppage but f--k it!!! too late now. i may try both methods and see which i prefer. the only scare i have is coming out of the hauppage i dont want to have a delay. we'll see.

7. jfosh

jfosh Super

what card?

8. jfosh

jfosh Super

There is no delay to your tv. Just to the pc.

9. TRudethaDude

TRudethaDude Walk On

sweet. how about the sound? ive been using my optical to receiver. should i go optical to my pvr then optical out to my receiver again? audio matches up on both tv and recordings?

10. jfosh

jfosh Super

I set mine up with the optical.

11. gschwendt

gschwendt Walk On

Just a few more details on this whole process... I've been at it for a really long time.

I've got the HD-PVR and as mentioned, it captures great. As far as editing it, the current only sure-fire way that works is to convert to WMV but that takes 5-7 times as long as the video so hour long gameplay is a pain.

With that said, the Arcsoft software recently had a patch that allows you to capture in TS, M2TS, & MP4. The TS still requires conversion but for the M2TS, you can drag it straight into Pinnacle Studio 11 and edit it down from there. Only problem I'm having is that Studio crashes when I attempt to finalize/create the video.

I'm currently working with Pinnacle support on how to get around that. If anyone has Studio 11, if you have an HD-PVR please test M2TS, if you don't have an HD-PVR, I can send you some short sample clips to test if you're interested.

Also, with regards to HDMI in on your PC or laptop, that's not possible unless you purchase the BlackMagic Intensity card. The problem is that you need a really beefy PC in order to use it. The HDMI ports that you currently have on your laptop or PC is for HDMI-out... that is to hook your computer up to a HD TV.

Back to the HD-PVR, congrats on the purchase. If you have any questions, feel free to fire away and I'll be happy to help. Also, if you want to check out some of my gameplay videos, feel free to check those out.