How come some people have no idea what free speech is/isn't?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by Hellisan, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

How come some people have no idea what free speech is/isn't?

Why isn't it explained in greater detail, maybe more often, in school, what exactly free speech is?

It makes me embarrassed to be an American when I read or hear people saying things like "Mike Leach isn't allowed to restrict his players' free speech"

or, better yet, back on MM.

"I can say whatever I want on this message board.... free speech."

Like maybe you should check into it a little further...

It seems like it really belittles the whole free speech thing to constantly attempt to take advantage of the concept for such petty things. Then to get it so wrong in the process... (n)

2. totalwreckage

totalwreckage TMFL Coach/GM NY Jets

"It makes me embarrassed to be an American when I read or hear people saying things like "Mike Leach isn't allowed to restrict his players' free speech""

Really? This makes you embarrassed to be an American? wow

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    You know what makes me embarrassed to be an American?

My Super Sweet 16 on MTV.

4. ThaEra25

ThaEra25 Oregon=Longhorn Country

LMFAO...but true!

5. MorsDraconis

MorsDraconis Walk On

Hell that's only one of SEVERAL reasons why American TV is horrible.

6. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

agreed.....is unwatchable to me.

Sports and documentaries......thats about it.

7. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

I used to love the "you can't moderate my posts! that's restricting my free speech! I'll sue you!!!!!" guys on MM.

8. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Cowherd had a huge rant about it yesterday. Yes, it is sad.

9. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Agreed Hellisan. Everyone has the right to say whatever they want but the moderater also has the right to remove you, the coach has the right to suspend you, a business owner has the right to fire you, etc. People who over-play that card need dealth with.
    "The beatings will continue until morale improves!"

10. Juggernautblitz

Juggernautblitz Carbon glutton

Free speech doesn't make you exempt from ramifications for that speech.

I love Cowherd by the way.

11. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah that's what got me so angry.

Then he spent a lot of time debunking the claims of some message board idiot that Mangini is a horrible coach. I was thinking "why are you spending time on national radio arguing against message board idiots?" That's like Mike Tyson fighting street bums..

12. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Shouldn't you be somewhere dropping out of a league that you signed up for? (y)

13. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

A lot of people only subscribe to things that mirror their view of the world. Or their interpretation of things that match their view.

Like Juggernaut said, Free speech doesnt exempt you from consequences, its like Free beer, Free beer doesnt mean if you drink it and get pulled over by Smokey, that you are allowed to invoke the "Free Beer Clause" and get out of trouble.

You are welcome to the Free Beer, just remember nothing in life is free.

Free speech allows you to call one President a Terrorist, and another President a Muslim. neither may be true both qualify as free speech. However, calling your ethnic looking business competitor a muslim terrorist, is not Free Speech and will qualify as Libel, if you say it to the wrong person.

Ditto on Cowherd, enjoy his perspective on most things. ESPN radio 710 is the best thing to ever happen to Seattle, Now I get Cowherd and then Brock Huard. whats not to love.

14. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

With more rights comes more responsibility.

This means as a person we need to be responsible for what we say, type, act, do.

If you are going to say or do something stupid you should expect there to be consequences.

Examples this year:

Blount from Oregon-He got what he deserved, probably should have been worse.

Crabtree-given how Heyward-Bey has been this year, Crabtree is making a mistake by not even talking to the 49ers. He and his team are showing their immaturity in their actions. Personally, I think the 49ers are better off without Crabtree.

TO-He's trying to be a better communicator, but the media wants the fireworks. I said when the Bills signed him it was a bad move, but TO is handling himself well, at least as of Sunday. Haven't checked on it since then.

15. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:

Blount got what he deserved. Hout from Boise State got what he deserved to. Digital evidence of him talking shit and getting the fudge knocked out of him. I love it.

TO has been on good behavior for a couple years now. It's the media's constant prying that leaves the door open for smaller things to become headlines. Ed Warner is a moron and a prime example of what I am talking about.

16. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

ESPN's Outside the Lines just reported that Oregon is considering reinstating Blount.

17. Lee.Flex

Lee.Flex Ducks Fan

Yep... If Blount meets certain criteria set by Chip Kelley, he can be back Nov 7th vs Stanford.

18. bcduggan

bcduggan Walk On

I didn't catch the whole story, I saw that they were considering it at the bottom of the screen. I have issue with it if he does come back. However, I hope he can grow from this.