How do you decipher effed up personnel packages while on D?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by jello1717, Jul 21, 2010.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

How do you decipher effed up personnel packages while on D?

I'm sure by now you've all seen how screwed up the offensive personnel can be when you're trying to call a defensive play. IE. I was just told that the offense had 1 QB, 3 TE, 4 WR.

Has anyone figured out how to decipher these yet? Obviously, for this example, my defensive personnel would need to be drastically different if they really had 3 TEs in the game or 4 WRs...

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    i think that set is when those 3 OL were right in the middle, that weird offense...forgot the name of it.

3. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

The spurrier?

Mike

4. jello1717

This isn't the Emory & Henry or Monster sets that are in some playbooks if that's what you're saying. I'm saying that the personnel they give you is completely screwed up (and I can't have been the only one to have seen this). I just gave you an example. I've also seen personnel(against playbooks like ND, Uconn, etc) like this:
    1QB, 1 HB, 2FB, 3TE, 3 WR
    1QB, 2HB, 4 WR, 2 TE

and lots of others where the numbers don't add up to 6 (which they have to unless some of these guys are on the line). When they take the field, they have 5 linemen like they should, but sometimes they have 4 or 5 wide, or sometimes it's 2 guys in the backfield, sometimes it's 2 or 3 TEs. I haven't found a pattern to tell me what the real personnel is when it's telling me something wrong. IE for the 1st example I gave in the OP with 3 TE and 4 WR, that was actually a 4 WR set with 1 TE on the line. I'm certain it's getting screwed up with subs (I'm pretty sure I've only seen it against no huddle teams) but I still can't tell how to figure out what set they'll be in.

5. jello1717

I think I kinda answered my own question and this is really, really, really stupid.

Here are some of the personnel packages I've seen just in the first half of a game against TAMU:

QB HB FB WR TE DT
    1 2 - 2 2 1
    1 1 - 3 3
    1 1 - 3 2
    1 1 1 2 2
    1 1 1 2 3

I looked at the instant replay of that last package and they had 1 TE playing C and another TE playing RT. I think this is the same issue how the game will sub in CBs @ WR when you exhaust your 6 guys on the depth chart. TAMU doesn't have any TEs on their O-line depth chart, but I'm guessing that their line is exhausted so when they ran out of guys on the depth chart (regardless of how many O-linemen aren't on the depth chart) it'll start subbing in TEs and then apparently DTs to play on the line (and I'm sure they're all rated as a 40 doing so).

To answer my own question, I would guess that they'll put TEs on the line before WRs, so if you see a package like this: 1QB, 1 HB, 3 WR, 3 TE, I'm thinking the actually package is 1HB, 3WR, 1TE with the other 2 TEs playing as an offensive lineman instead of, say, 1 HB, 1 WR, 3 TEs.

6. Wick36

Wick36 Welcome to the Jungle

I was wondering why there were crazy formations at the end of games some times.

7. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

Yeah, very interesting - the idea is noble, but execution isnt working... complicated by the clear problem correlating fatigue and the up tempo pace. No team would actually get to the point of putting a DT on the o-line unless there were injuries. So coding would need to be tweaked to adjust for fatigue.

The decision to present the personnell the way that they did is so that you could tell if there were funny subs in the game - i.e. someone put their HB at QB whether the formation called for it or not. There was a blog with Russ where he indicated this would happen... so if a user put a HB at QB in the I-form, the personnell should show 0 QB, 2 HB, 1 FB.

8. T2

T2 Smarter than your average bear!

wouldnt turning down the point at which auto subs fix this issue? you would have guys staying in longer and rotation would less hyper.

9. Big-Bear-W

Big-Bear-W Walk On

If you can adjust the CPU autosub rate then that would mean less crazy subs... but it would mean guys that are dead tired. What is needed is for the CPU to realize it's players are maxed out and switch to a more slow paced offense for abit.