How do you hide a poor secondary

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by RynoAid, Oct 19, 2010.

1. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

If you have a solid front 7, what can you do to limit the exposure of a poor secondary?

2. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

Zone Blitz?

3. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Blitz!!! I have a very weak defense, surprisingly only one user blew me out. Blitzing covered alot of holes, zone blitzes work but you gotta hope they don't run deep patterns because their easy completions if the blitz is picked up. I like blitzing from man because I at least like to know somebody was trying to cover the WR who's 6 yards ahead of him:)

4. GoGators

GoGators GT: KSherm

Allow them to get 4 ypc every time so they'll never need to pass???? And run the ball on offense to dominate the time of possession.

In all honesty though, you know defense is all about the team and just like a chain, it's only as strong as its weakest link. I think the best thing you can do is do is leverage your strengths. Do your best to put the offense in 3rd and long situations so you'll know to expect pass and can drop more guys into coverage i.e play cover 4 and make them catch the ball short of the first down and make a tackle. Also, play to your guys' strengths whether that be man or zone. Be sure to mix up and disguise your coverages. Don't blitz and put your DBs on an island. Play a LB and read and react.

Most importantly though, play bend but don't break defense. Do not give up big plays and force offenses to drive the length of the field. Once they get into the red zone it gives your secondary an advantage because there's not as much room to cover down there.

5. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    1. Figure out how to confuse the quarterback.
    2. Keep him that way.

It is easy to pick at weak points in a defense if you have all day. Put someone in his face and make him worried about the rush. Combine that with putting people in spots that are abnormal for him and he will start making mistakes.

6. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

Gators and Shaun got it right. Mix up coverages and make them dink and dunk. Doesn't matter how many yards they get if they dont get in the endzone. My goal every drive is to hold them to a fg and a punt is a bonus haha.

7. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

With my WKU secondary (starting DB ratings from a 52 to a 64) I play a lot of Cover 3 and set my zone gameplan to conservative. They still get beat deep but what can you do? I just try to user an underneath zone and grab 1 pick a game or at least dissuade them from throwing to a post or crossing route. It also lets me bring the SS (hook zone) into the box because you know I can't stop the run either.

8. SodaAddict

SodaAddict Proud Hurt Locker Commish

I agree with what you guys are saying, too... But, the only thing on this game, especially post-patch, is that a semi-weak corner gets completely blown up on deep ins or outs in man coverage. Zone doesn't work particularly well, but the zone blitz can catch the Offense off-guard and trying to hit a quick TE pass that you can intercept every now and then. You have to be careful which zone blitzing schemes you choose, though, so that you cover the places on the field that you want to focus on.

9. smlVICTORIES53

smlVICTORIES53 Walk On

You could sub in jms and hellisan at your safeties.

Seriously tho most have already said it so I'll beat the dead horse as well. Mix it up and bring timely pressure. Dont be afraid to mix in show blitz when you aren't blitzing. Can't tell you how many times I've baited people with that. Worst thing to do with a poor secondary is to be predictable.