How do you stop shotgun set HB passes to the flats?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by carolinaeasy, Oct 21, 2010.

1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I wanted to see what you guys do to prevent these passes. Especially when the other player is going to them as a primary target? What is most effective? What seems to be a good idea but simply doesn't work?

thanks for your help.

2. BigSmooth33

BigSmooth33 Walk On

For me, I've been semi successful with simple cover 2 or some form of where there is zone coverage in the flats.

Most man coverage just won't address the speed of the running back or how quick the QB fires the pass out into the flats.

Just my opinion.

3. MaxATX34

MaxATX34 Texas Football

id just control a LB and sprint him to the flat as soon as the ball was snapped and tee off on him with the hit stick

4. OsirisMonster

OsirisMonster Walk On

If you put a DE in contain you have a decent shot of picking off the pass. Pick the DE on the side the HB is lining up and contain him. I actually do this against the CPU when I expect a screen pass and get good results.

Zone blitz where you blitz the LBs and DTs but drop the DEs into flat coverage work well too and can be picks.

If you go with man coverage be sure that the guy set to cover the HB is on the same side of the field as the HB. There is no way you will get to the HB in time to cover him if your defender assigned the HB is on the opposite side of the field.

If it gets really bad have a CB man up on the HB.

My problem isn't really stopping the HB from catching it in the flats, it's tackling him after he catches it. I can usually get a defender to square up on the HB but he breaks multiple tackles and things get messy.

5. JCspartan2

JCspartan2 Sparty Party

I find that cover-3 works really well because there are defenders assigned to the flats on either side. I agree with Osiris though in that I am usually in positon to stop the play but the HB tends to break that first tackle and its all for naught.

6. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Send him a message and tell the h0m0 to stop running the same play... that'll be the only way you'll catch somebody throwing to the flats is if they constantly do it... we can name all the plays we want but it doesn't matter if he mixes up the playcalling and you don't know when its coming, :)

7. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Lot's of good stuff here. The easiest thing to do is play cover 2. Cover 3 works, but not as well. You can. however, play cover 3, and spread the backers pre-snap, so they get to their zones quicker. Zone blitzing and playing contain are more aggressive, meaning you get a shot at making a pick, but often leave parts of the field wide open. I'd try the cover 2 and 3 stuff, and then get more aggressive if he still pushes the issue.

And I'd send him a message calling him a douchebag as well.

8. Bl0ndeRedHead

Bl0ndeRedHead Official TSO Pothead

Cover 2 is your best bet, or if you feel like doing it yourself and showing him "don't fuck with me", just play man and bring your LB next to your DE on the side the HB is, then when he busts into the flat just trail him and you should get an easy pick with good timing

9. Kasper

Kasper The Ghost Himself

This, I'd just tell him to stop cheesing.

10. Hova

Hova Live Action. YiYiYi!

Haha Agreed

11. Twister18

Twister18 I aint got time to bleed!

Get a good pass rush, as you have many options to throw to. My HB's are my third behind my FL and TE. If I see someone sliding a DL over I go to my TE on a fade route.

12. whygodwhy1111

whygodwhy1111 Walk On

Man coverage should work, the exception is when the HB is the fourth player on that side of the field. Meaning, there are 3 other elidgible players further to the hbs side of the field. What happens is the hb gets assigned to the someone on the opposite side of the field, and because of the unbalanced formation the other player can see right away that the HB will be open.

A good example of a play like this is in the West Virgina playbook call WV spacing in the shotgun ace slot strong formation.

To beat this pick a play where one of the safties is in man coverage and make sure he is on the same side of the field as the HB (flip it if its not). Example of this would be the dime play where one safty is in zone and the MLB is in zone or nickle ROLB blitz.

13. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Bro what I do...

Hot route your defensive ends to a flat zone...and play with our MLB as a coverage/spy...Generally out of Cover 1 plays here btw

14. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

and to add do a Cover 2 Buc and user control MLB...keeps it in front and eventually he will get stuffed.

15. xGRIDIRONxGURUx

xGRIDIRONxGURUx GO DUCKS. WIN THE DAY.

i use cover 2 and coach tight zones... OR... run a cover 3 roll and swap play to where the CB sitting the flats is to the side the HB is on... coach tight zones though... if the guys passing a ton and doesnt show a sign of stopping, ill go nickel 2-4-5 cant think of the name of the play but its the only cover 3 roll in the book, and it really works as a LB who is there in place of the DE to the opposite is in contain, so i have it both ways...

"E"