How do you stop the read option?

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Spayer419, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

Particularly when the opponent is just killing you by keeping with the QB. I played Michigan last year in my dynasty and was absolutely gashed by Denard. It didn't matter what I did, what kind of adjustments I made in the strategy screen. I tried spying, blitzing...everything. What do you call and what adjustments do you make?

2. Spayer419

Spayer419 Walk On

One of my users played Michigan today and said that his defensive ends would be in perfect position to stop the QB, but would just stand in place. TheMNorthFace

3. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

I had a guy to a good job on me by blitzing heavily from the backside (keep side) and by usering the backside DE.

4. Shaun Mason

Shaun Mason Somebody you used to know.

Featured Threads:
    I just try to knock the shit out of the QB on the keep. A fumble or two goes a long way in play selection.:)

• Like Like x 6
  5. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

I was using a lot of read option but then a couple users would shut it down by selecting the DE. One guy would just randomly move the DE at the snap so I couldn't read it, then it's just a guessing game so I'd typically move away from the read option. I don't think you're ever too worried about the handoff so the key is just stopping their QB. If you don't want to take the DE you can also take an OLB on that side and do an "outside" spy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    That's a good strategy. Play the DE opposite the HB and screw up the read.

7. RyanC

RyanC Walk On

Then I just run HB Dive until they think I am going up the middle (y). The read is cake to stop if it is 80% of your offense though, gotta mix it up so they can't key in on the read

• Like Like x 1
  8. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Worth pointing out then when the HB is flexed to the QB (i.e. here instead of here ) the read will be to the frontside DE.

I've found, in the people that I play against because I run a ton of read option, that the best way is to user the LB and scrape the QB. It does take time to get good with this though, because if you go too far outside, an athletic QB + a decent user can cut it up on you and then you're SOL.

9. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Hah I didn't realize that's why the form was named flex. But yeah it's just reading the caddy corner DE regardless. And as you said, if someone has a really athletic QB with high agility such as Denard Robinson they can just take the run inside if you meet them outside so gotta be careful. The strategy that's worked best against me, as I mentioned above, is taking that DE and just screwing up the read. And I totally agree Ryan. Before I learned to pass I was relying way too much on the read and users were shutting me down, but now I only use the read a few times a game---usually when I really need that big conversion on a 3rd and long or something.

10. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:
    It's still the end opposite the half back, right?

11. Baron

Well actually, in those formations, the Flex probably refers to the positions of the WRs. But like say Wing Offset has the RB in the flex position, relative to the QB.

For me the read is a much more staple of my offense. I hardly run base runs anymore, except as a switch up. But then I mix it up with more passing and adding more guys to the read, like motioning a WR to make it a read triple option.

I don't think so. Because like in Wing Offset up there, the read is to the LE (the end on the right from the offensive perspective). If he crashes, the QB takes it outside like a normal read option. If he sits, however, instead of the HB running laterally like in say Spread HB Wk, the HB will run more of a dive.

12. I Peench

I Peench Caught in the hustle

It's way easier to stop then people like Bulldog say it is :p

User a LB and scrape, like Baron said.

13. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

It's always the end opposite the QB, regardless of receiver position.

14. Shaun Mason

Featured Threads:

Correct. I was typing too fast this morning. What I meant is the read doesn't change in those flex formations.

15. Baron

The RB position has more to with it and the end optioned varies based on the formation.

16. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

yeah I've found the forms with the offset HB are much better for read option. Oregon PB has a few of them. Instead of the handoff going like a sweep it goes to the A/B gap.

17. Baron

Same. But when you get that rare back that has 95 speed with like 97 ACC, the lateral stuff can be a bit better. But that's rare.

18. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

hah maybe I can move my stud QB athletes to HB and do that...I swear man the only guys I find with speed like that also have QB stats.

19. Baron

I find a fair amount of HBs like that outta Texas and Florida but they're always 5'9 185 lbs. Have yet to see a burner over 200 lbs.

20. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Couldnt' you also slant your DL to the play side and hot route the backside DE to contain? Haven't labbed that but seams feasible as well...

21. Jolts57

Jolts57 Walk On

Slanting the line doesn't change their read. I haven't tried contain though so maybe that would work.

22. DirtycashDylan

DirtycashDylan I came here to scheme and chew bubblegum...

Contain doesn't do shit, fwiw, neither does QB Spy. The spy will still take off after the HB. Looks like you have to user spy/scrape the QB.