How Often Do You Blitz?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by carolinaeasy, Mar 7, 2011.

Out of 10 plays on defense in a normal drive how many of those plays are a blitz?

1. 0-3

2. 4-6

0 vote(s)
  3. 7

4. 8

0 vote(s)
  5. 9

6. 10

0 vote(s)
  1. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Jul 19, 2010
    I am talking in a user-user match up here. Obviously the playbook you use will affect your answer but I would still like to see a general answer.

For me personally I use two different terms in my 3-4 book. I have "pressures" and I have "blitzes". A pressure to me is sending 4-5 guys after the offense. A blitz is where I get unsound and leave the secondary guys on rubber dinghies. I typically pressure on every down, and will blitz 3 times per 10 plays.
  2. Eyeke

Eyeke Swashbuckler

Feb 28, 2011
    Voted. I count blitzing as anything over 4. I consistently bring five but rarely more than that. I do love the 4 2 5 double safety blitz and run it constantly once I have the personnel
  3. bdub

bdub Walk On

Jul 26, 2010
    By your definition probably 3 to 4 out of 10. I pressure 9 out of 10 plays.
  4. Goose

Goose Walk On

Jul 20, 2010
    Man I need some help with the blitz. It seems that everytime I call it, it blows up in my face. The pressure never gets there quick enough and the QB always hits the open guy or the run is to the opposite side.
  5. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Feb 19, 2009
    I run a 4-3, so I don't blitz much. What easy refers to as "pressure" is really the norm in the 4-3, but in the 3-4, there are a number of plays that only rush 3. I'm always rushing 4, so the decision it whether or not to send a fifth guy, and I rarely if ever send more than five.

Most of my sacks are from coverage. Against the CPU, I play a lot of man 2-deep coverage and make him throw the under stuff. I use the safety, and I try to discourage him from throwing multiple reads. For example, I may help on more than one route, often giving up the stuff over my head. Unless the QB is pretty good, he's not going to go up top much, and he'll connect a pretty low percentage.

If I think it's a pretty obvious pass down, I'll spread the D-Line, and try to get a LB into a gap. I tend to blitz inside rather than around the edges (though, in user games, I prefer to do the opposite) and if my guys gets through, there's just no escape.

I almost never send more than five, and I always keep a safety back. I give up some dink and dunk stuff, but eventually, I get to the QB and make things difficult.