How the WEST is Won - an AFC West blog

Discussion in 'TMFL' started by Boom29, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

upload_2013-10-23_0-13-29.png
    ...four old rivals from the AFL days still at it...

Season Outlook
    When the dust settled, the AFC West came down to a two-team race between the Denver Broncos and San Diego Chargers in 2013. With the improving Oakland Raiders and a capable Kansas City Chiefs squad, expect the battle for the Division crown to be closely contested throughout the year. With the strength of the rest of the AFC, winning the division may be the only road to a playoff spot out west. On to the season outlook haikus:

Oakland Raiders
    Oakland Raiders Nation says
    Just (one) win baby!
    Honani to the rescue

Kansas City Chiefs (updated)
    Hit sticks and stones broke Chief bones
    injury bug gone?
    KC back in contention

San Diego Chargers
    Playoffs in year one for Bolts
    Is it a mirage?
    Prove them wrong, San Diego

Denver Broncos
    A taste of the postseason
    Now want even more
    Denver aims a Mile High-er

Four Square
    The burning question for each team going into the season

1. Will the Oakland Raiders win at least one game in 2014? After becoming only the second team in NFL history to finish a season 0-16, the Raiders used their misfortune to draft, at #1, a generational prospect in QB Dane Honani. It's been known for some time that a franchise QB is ticket out of the NFL cellar, so expect the Raiders to notch a few victories this season.

2. Can the San Diego Chargers prove 2013 wasn't a fluke? Roster talent won't the issue as the pieces are in place for San Diego to again make the playoffs. While the offense is unspectacular, the defense remains strong. One thing's for sure, the Chargers flew under the radar in 2014, but will they handle the spotlight and a target on their back? We think not, the Chargers limp to an 8-8 season.

3. Which Chiefs team will show up? Kansas City started the season 4-2, tied atop the AFC West, only to lose 8 of their last 10 games and finish the season 6-10 in large part due to injuries. The talent is there in KC, but consistency and a healthy roster will be the key.

4. Will the Denver Broncos be playing in February? The Broncos organization has let it be known that they are considering this season Super Bowl or bust -- and it may just be now or never. With Peyton Manning nearing retirement, this may be one of the last years for the Broncos with a top tier QB. Don't uncork that champagne though, 'cause in the high altitude, their bubble-y will burst.

Masler , RynoAid , HAL9100

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 5
  2. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

we lost our starting QB for 8 weekes, our 1st and 2nd WR's for half the year as well as a starting DE. Injuries played a huge role in KC last year.

3. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

I should have dug a little deeper. I do recall all your injuries now...I'll at least update the haiku later today :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. RynoAid

RynoAid ..

this year we will struggle with a rookie QB.. although it was the WR drops last night that hurt our chances in Buffalo. It was brutal juice out there.. game could have been a bit closer if our WR do their job. Not Mehl's fault last night.

5. Baron

Baron "I'm PFP's reckoning."

Mehl should have been mine! You hear me?! MINE! :(

6. Boom29

Boom29 Walk On

AFC West Whip-Around
    first quarter report
    The Division couldn't have gotten off to a worst start. Having said that, with all teams struggling out of the gate, no team is out of the running for the division title and a playoff spot.

San Diego Chargers
    upload_2013-10-30_22-45-29.png
    Record:
    2-2
    Q1 Report:
    The Chargers may be 2-2, but they are not playing well. The stout defense that keyed their 10-6 record is springing leaks on all levels, while the offense, who prides itself on ball control, is turning the ball over way too much.
    Player of the Quarter: MLB Donald Butler - 30 tak, 3 TFL, 2 sack, 2 INT, FF, FR, 2 defl
    Up Next: Lions, Broncos, Patriots, bye
    Q2 Outlook: The Chargers will face three tough opponents in the second stanza of the season. Don't be surprised to see the Chargers lose all three games heading into the bye week.

Denver Broncos
    upload_2013-10-30_22-46-6.png
    Record:
    1-3
    Q1 Report:
    After an opening day win against the Raiders, Denver has lost three straight games. During this span, Peyton Manning has thrown 11 INTs vs 2 TDs.
    Player of the Quarter: CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie - 6 tak, TFL, 4 INT, defl
    Up Next: bye, at Chargers, at Raiders, Vikings
    Q2 Outlook: Three winnable games means Denver can find itself with a winning record once again, but quarterback play must improve.

Oakland Raiders
    upload_2013-10-30_22-47-4.png

Record: 1-3
    Q1 Report:
    A 1-3 start is nothing to write home about, but for a team coming off a 0-16 season, it is a cause for excitement.
    Player of the Quarter: WR Denarius Moore - 36 rec, 731 yards, 20.3 avg, 5 TD, long 80
    Up Next: at Jaguars, Packers, Broncos, Steelers
    Q2 Outlook: Getting the first win was huge for the Raiders coaching staff. As Honani continues to improve, so will the Raider win column.

Kansas City Chiefs
    upload_2013-10-30_22-46-37.png
    Record:
    1-3

Q1 Report:
    Before an offensive outburst against the Broncos in week 4, the Chiefs offense had been largely non-existent, playing a major role in their 1-3 start.
    Player of the Quarter: HB Jamaal Charles - 82 car, 494 yards, 6 TD, long 48; 12 rec, 150 yards, long 35
    Up Next: Dolphins, Vikings, at Packers, Bears
    Q2 Outlook: All four games will be tough, but having three at home should help. If the Chiefs can find consistency at QB to compliment Charles, they will win their fair share.

Masler , HAL9100 , RynoAid

• Like Like x 4
  7. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

Haiku's?

Lol. Well now I've seen it all

• Like Like x 1