How-To Guide to Recruiting

Discussion in 'NCAA Football' started by Nautica, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

How-To Guide to Recruiting

Before I get started, I just want to let everyone know that this will be a work in progress and will be updating this daily. I am starting this because recruiting has always been a strong suit in my OD's in the past and some of the guys in my league asked me what I was doing. I in no way consider myself a recruiting guru or a know-it-all, so any suggestions would be great help in this process.

I am starting off with the UB Bulls, a :2stars: program. I am only micro-managing this Dynasty, so I will not be playing any games. I am going to be doing this for multiple seasons so everyone can see the recruiting progression through the growth of a program.

Now take in mind that the point gain differences between a :1stars: program and a :5stars: program greatly differ, so a 100pt gain to a :1stars: program would be a 350-400pt gain to a :5stars: program.

The recruiting settings will be on All-American and I will be using the +3 rule with a 70 cap.

Here are my general guidelines that I use when compiling my recruiting board:

1. Only go after recruits that have an interest in you.  In an offline dynasty it may be worth it go to after a recruit who has no interest in your program, but when it comes to online recruiting, its a waste of time.S
    2. Start out filling your board with recruits for your needs positions first.
    3. Offer a player a scholarship within the first 3 weeks. The longer you wait the less points you will receive.
    4. Players who have you as their #1 interest, you should offer them a scholarship 1st before doing anything else. Reason being is that if they commit, it will leave you with more time to spend on others.
    5. In the first and second weeks, I will try to unlock as many topics as I can. In the long run it is worth it due to the point increase when unlocked. From the third week on, I start with comparing schools, raising interest, and making pitches.
    6. Only compare your school to another when you have a leg up on them, doing the opposite will generally lead to almost no point gains.
    7. When scheduling visits, it is best to try to do it as late as possible in the season, while still keeping it when a rival is in town. This seems to have the best results of getting recruits to commit who haven't already done so.
    8. When deciding how much time to spend with a recruit, I usually pick out my top 2 recruits on both offense and defense and give them a full 60 minutes, and the rest I designate 40 minutes to. In some cases where there are no coveted prospects I use only 40 minutes per recruit. 40 minutes seems to give the best results.
    So with my guidelines spelled out, Here we go.

[​IMG]

Year One:

Here is what I have so far using my guidelines.

• 16 total Sr's, 19 Scholarships for the year.
    • Only 24 on my board, and out of those 24 I have offered 18 of them scholarships.
    • Signed a :1stars:, #147 OT in week 1.
    • Signed a :2stars:, #148 CB in week 3.
    • Through 5 weeks, I sit #1 on 12 recruits boards, #2 on 2, and #3 on 2.
    • 7 Recruits are scheduled to visit during week 8, when rival Temple will be in town.
    • Lost a :2stars: #136, OLB to Temple in week 7.
    • Through the end of year 1, signed 13 of the 19 on the recruiting board. That is a 70% commitment rate.

2. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Reserved for year 2

3. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Reserved for year 3

4. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Reserved for year 4

5. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

Reserved for year 5

6. vBIG SLICKv

vBIG SLICKv Varsity Baby !!!

Nautica, do you take into consideration how high you rank on their list? For example, would you target a guy that has you #5 on his list over a guy that has you as #10?

7. JFunk34

JFunk34 Friends may come and go, but enemies accumulate.

Go off the points. You are better off chasing a guy who has you 10th at -180 than the guy who has you 5th at -300. JMO.

8. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

at the beginning of the season i don't take that into consideration, but when adding guys on mid season, you have to. There is no sense of trying to recruit a guy midway through the season when you are 500+ points down.

9. ChickenOfTheSea

ChickenOfTheSea TMFL Goat Herder

Nautica, what if any value do you associate to Promises? and when do you use them? I'm playing at Washington in my 2nd year, and ding better than my first. But I struggle with the 4 and 5 start players, I can start off well but about week 5, all of a sudden one of the super schools goes from 3rd place to 400 points ahead???

10. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

The thing with offering promises are that if you break them, a player is likely to transfer on you after the first year.

11. Colemanchu

Colemanchu GOAT SPLITTER

If you're not going to need the kid anyway for a few years just promise him no redshirt, play him in garbage time and then redshirt him his second year. Either way with recruiting the way it is in this game if the kid can make an impact immediately promise him the world so that your boosters don't have to.

12. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

Very true with promises, make sure if you use them, that it is something you can or are willing to live up to. For example, if I start with a really bad team, I typically will only promise no redshirt first year for most, because I can control that directly and make sure it happens. I also use solid playing time for the players I know will have a good chance of playing for me the next year. I don't use most of the others, except occasionally winning record against rivals if my rivals are bad teams as well.

Save promises to use when you encounter low interest-low rating topics after you run out of skips.

13. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Does the "solid playing time" promise work in this year's game? In the last 2 games, you could make that promise and the guy could be a starter, but the promise was broken so you always failed to keep the promise. Is it this way in '11 too?

14. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

I haven't seen any issues with it this year but that's not exactly a reliable scientific experiment. I'll look to see if this issue is still there in my offline dynasty.

15. jello1717

I'm wondering what happens if you break your promises. I had assumed that it would cause those players to transfer. I wanted to see if they'd transfer if I promised them good playing time and started the, but first I wanted to verify that recruits transferred due to broken promises.

I offered every recruit I signed in year 1 that I would not redshirt him and that's the only promise I made. I then redshirted all 14 of them their FR season. After that season, none of them transferred (which surprised me). I then simmed another season and after their 2nd year, only 1 of the 14 transferred.

So, are broken promises supposed to make those recruits that were lied to transfer?

16. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

I am about to start year 2 with my recruiting, I did promise that to one recruit, i'll keep him on the bench and see what happens.

17. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

Out of your 13 recruits, what are they caliber levels? I too am doing a simulation with recruiting but I use a totally different strategy. Just wanna see how my strategy is looking against this.

I'm in Year One with Army. I currently sit 2-6. Heisman difficulty

10 preseason targets
    7 signed
    1 :3stars:
    3 :2stars:
    3 :1stars:

18. jello1717

I didn't want to try for recruiting so I only targeted the 1st 13 guys that had me as #1 on their list, regardless of position. About half of my 13 were :4stars: and the other half were :3stars:.

19. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

I think my problem is I schedule visits to early. I'm gonna have to make sure to try and not schedule any the first 1-4 weeks anymore.

20. JerzeyReign

JerzeyReign #BeatOhio

My bad that was directed at Nautica.... what team are you using?

21. babydemon90

babydemon90 Walk On

recruiting question - why would a guy I have not eve made an offer to show as 'soft commit? He isn;t going to commit without me making an offer, is he?

22. briosu99

briosu99 6* Team Killer

I've seen this happen with CPU teams, but never for my team. I guess they REALLY want to go to your school. They won't sign unless you offer a scholarship though.

23. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

They might night transfer but you wont unlock more promises and i think your coach prestige and experience will go down, might just be prestige

24. BlyGilmore

BlyGilmore It's All In The Hips!

yeah - for guys you're going heavy after the ideal visit time is week 6 to 8 or so. Need to make sure you have enough time to unlock the pitches you're going to use.

learned that the hard way in the Tradition ... booked a guy for like week 3 and didn't really have anything good unlocked pitch wise, so the visit was only a B.

lucked out though - managed to throw enough time into him to sign him before he visited anybody else.

25. Nautica

Nautica #whatisdrugs?

yeah, I completely agree bly, the later the better, week 6-8 is perfect time.