Featured How to make Madden Franchise Mode Scouting More Fun

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Drifterbub, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    Drifterbub BobJr and Keller discuss improvements that could be made to Madden 17 Franchise mode scouting. #MakeScoutingFunAgainButReallyMakeItFunForTheFirstTimeEver

• Like Like x 2
    • Awesome Content Awesome Content x 1
  2. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    NO comments, huh? I guess we hit all the points?

3. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

Great work with the podcast, was interesting to hear some different ideas on improving scouting/draft etc... For viewers would it be all possible to time stamp some of the topics when you guys change gears in the future? I know sitting an taking in a 30 min pod may detract some potential viewers. Not being critical of the work as i know the time and effort involved are thankless. But it may help with making it more digestible for viewers.

And again thanks for the efforts, on to the scouting discussion. IMO it's all to often we want to compare NCAA to Madden in regards to scouting / recruiting. While NCAA was much more vast, it's honestly not fair to compare the two flat out. While they could take certain aspects to improve Madden. Comparing region based scouting / pipelines ... Where you could find gems hidden in a state where your rivals don't have pipelines.
    The player selection pool going from High Schools to college was much broader, while the NFL is much more refined. Yes there are talents who go in later rounds or even undrafted but for the most part if you're a stud or jump off the boards in a certain regards teams know. Madden would need a much deeper draft class each year to do this better.

Keller's main focus was fuzzy ratings. I agree there needs to be more uncertainty when scouting, forcing members to spend even more time on select players instead of being able to spam a whole position and being able to KNOW who will be good and who will not undoubtedly.

Have more in-depth scouter ratings which are upgradable based off of perfromance in the draft. The scouts can have goals just as coaches and players... The owner can set a proposed draft priority based off of risk. Be conservative or aggressive with goals and be rewarded or penalized based off same.
    Ie.
    Philadelphia Eagles coach priority :
    Rack and stack 3 team needs...
    1. CB - Starter (OVR 80 >)
    2. RB - Starter
    3. WR - Starter
    This would be aggressive as opposed to
    1. CB - Depth (OVR 73 <)
    2. RB - Depth
    3. WR - Practice Squad (OVT 60)

Obviously they'd have 7 or so picks to hit on a player. Anyway on to the next thing as this can be discussed indefintley.

I think EA really needs to make ratings matter. All too often you can have a Dallas Cowboys caliber offensive line and get wrecked by scrubs. It was brought up on 4 year players having more tape or scouting available. This could be tied to the production rating which doesnt means squat currently.
    All to often as well people by pass a 24 year old rookie because they're "old" . This could add value to these savvy, polished players.
    The wonderlic test... Awareness, play rec, mental resilience maybe. What I did love about NCAA was home field advantage and watching uncomposed players lose the ability to audible, see WR icons or have them be just flat wrong. Maybe tie the wonderlic scores to obviously awareness for the field generals (MLB, S, C, QB) But players with a low wonderlic scores have even fewer audible selections at the LOS. Player discipline , missed assignments or miscues which happen often with rookies. Players just not being on the same page.

But the key to make any of that work is to have the current ratings and attributes actually work where you can clearly see a difference 9 out of 10 times with a 95 OVR v 62 OVR one on one regardless of the match up on the field.

Back to the NCAA comparison. I would love to see more information or more in-depth information for Pro Days, Senior Bowls. As you all touched on these are valuable experiences for players and coaches with deep interaction. Too much emphasis is currently placed on the combine which quite a few of players either A. Dont participate in or B. Skip certain drills.
    While NFL teams don't necessarily have pipelines. Madden would really have to do some work to their draft classes to help make sense of players entering the draft. Teams like Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson etc must become farm like teams. This may allow coaches to pick select pro days at smaller schools to possibly find a hidden gem.

I'm starting to get scatter-brained so I'll shut up here, as I think of more things pertaining to scouting I may add...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Agree with a lot of your points BR. I think I stated in the video that I'm not sure how applicable pipelines are to the NFL.

As to your suggestion about section the video, this video is already a section out of the podcast. My goal in the future is to have more scoped videos, but it's difficult to do in a 3-person podcast. We are all still learning, as you pointed out.

My biggest question to you is, what makes you thinks ratings don't matter? Maybe I am more blind to this because my understanding of how the game works is more based on the mechanics. I always use the comparison of NCAA and Madden in this conversation. There are very few scrubs in the NFL. Which is why having Alabama blow over an FCS school in NCAA was easy to tune for. A 99 OVR RG in should destroy a 52 OVR DE or DT on 4/5 plays. The disparity in talent is even worse in high school. In the NFL, the talent gap is more narrow. The best RG in the league and the worst DT/DE in the league would still be close in talent than the same comparison in college. Just because you have a 61 OVR DT, doesn't mean he should be blown up every play by an elite G. Perhaps the split is something like 60/40 or so.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

BobJr Do you guys not remember doing those huge exports at the start of the season or preseason and sifting through everything to try and identify who you were going to target recruiting wise? Then over time, as the players were scouted further and further, their ratings would continually move closer to what their true rating was? Fuzzy ratings!! Also just the shear number of guys to sift through via the export was awesome. That's how you satisfy Bob's desire to really find gems.... there needs to be more prospects to look through!

• Like Like x 3
  6. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Oh man. If I loaded up my old
    Laptop I bet I have a file or two.

7. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Really appreciate the feedback BR.

8. Big Suge Knight

Big Suge Knight Walk On

Featured Threads:
    There are certain teams that gravitate to certain schools or conferences. Belichek's relationship to Saban for example, they talk often and Saban has promoted/recommended certain guys throughout the year.

If there were more detailed coaches available to hire from that could enhance scouting. For instance, Pete Carroll and Harbaugh having such in depth knowledge about the PAC-12 players after they left college would be interesting twist on scouting and coach hire importance. Same with FA if you could sign coordinators or former HCs and get an edge in FA signings.

9. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    So.... yeah. Not enough of a factor to implement into the game over things that are more prominent in real life yet absent in Madden

10. Black Republican

Black Republican TMFL Commish -- **ISYMFS** --

In regards to "ratings don't matter" ...
    There are too many variables it seems which impact player performance. All Pro the game plays well but the problem is teams feel like (even teams) are on. As you hinted at, a much narrowed gap at the NFL level. On All Madden there is more of a disparity between players but often times it can be OP. I'd be interested to hear how formulas and data change as the downs progress. Until this latest patch (days ago) you could have the QB acc slider at zero and there was no effect on passing. Only time a difference was noted was on 3rd downs with really bad QBs.

And while I said at times while playing on All Madden things can be OP ... This applies to low rated players totally outperforming highly rated players for 4 quarters. The Dallas Cowboys line is the easiest example to pull, there's no way a line 2 seasons of development in with a Joe Thomas on the team. That they should just get bullied by a 3-4 front dropping in cover 4 protection. But this is the case all too often. CBs with elite ratings can't cover poorly rated receivers, WRs with elite stats can't get away from a 68 OVR CB etc... This leads to the perception that the ratings don't matter. It's more a game of see the hand you're being dealt by Madden, and adjust accordingly; If you can!

• Like Like x 1
  11. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    I can see where you are coming from. Not to derail the scouting topic, but all to often the oline is getting destroyed by a three man front.

I'd like to see some weight/height actually matter

• Like Like x 2
  12. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    Destroyed because of the insta-shed animation?

13. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    Well yea. That and I just don't feel like the players feel or look heavy.

But yes. Insta shed.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Danthraxxx

Danthraxxx Walk On

That's weird because Clint swears it matters , and I've seen a few YouTube guys claim the fatter the O-line guy the better far as MUT games go. Then I look at my defense in TMFL and I don't think I've had a lineman over 300 lbs since the first season and I've been in top 5 of rush defense I think 3 of 4 seasons. So I can run a 3-4 defense with lineman that are not very big.

So that makes me question if player models/size matters in MUT but not CFM ? There def is some fuzzy details in how ratings matter and play out in cfm from what I've seen.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Drifterbub

Featured Threads:
    "Matters" is subjective and also relative. It may matter, but only in certain interactions, etc.

I think ratings trump it all though.

16. Kidofcrash23

Kidofcrash23 Walk On

The real problem is in a three man rush, the edge guy that would insta shed gets through while the two guards look like they are sitting on an invisible toilet. Simply, the AI is broke and has been for a long time now.

Even in a four man rush, how bout some true double teaming.

• Like Like x 1
  17. BobJr

BobJr To each their own

Featured Threads:
    That would be an interesting presnap oline adjustment, instead of slide left and right