How to not suck at this game?

Discussion in 'The Baseline : NBA 2K14 Online Association' started by SuperBowlNachos, Feb 5, 2012.

1. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

I think I am like 0-7 against the CPU and users so far. I get down, get within a few points, then it all goes to hell again. I am getting the timing on shots down, I think I shot a decent percentage my last game. I have tried calling my own plays, running no plays, using the auto plays. Seems it's rare I get a wide open shot. Forget about creating my own shot off the dribble, probably doesn't help I have a bunch of guys older then Pagamer07 on my team. Defense is horrible too. I can do 'lock down paint' while in a zone, but Nate Robinson is still able to drive the lane and make a shot between two 7 footers.

2. BDSDIGITAL

BDSDIGITAL One Time for your Mind

Play more.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bondzai

Bondzai Your Mom's Best Friend

Brian is right. When we first started the league, no one was beating the CPU.

4. BDSDIGITAL

Exactly. If you haven't done so already do all of the tutorial drills and all that. Those helped me a great deal. But yeah.....just keep playing. Since all players are different and have different things they are good at try play alot of games with your current oa team (Dallas?). Before we started this file I played about a dozen games with Boston and slowly got better with them.

Now I'm a force of nature and a set wrecking machine :D

5. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  6. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

How do you shoot 3's? Thats the only thing I really need help with. The CPU takes shot with hands in their face and a guy right on them and the drain it about half the time. I take wide open 3's off smooth passes with no one nearby and they miss almost everytime. Seriously I shoot like 10% from 3 (using 3-point shooter players). I just gave up shooting it since it never goes in and I almost never get the rebound.

7. BDSDIGITAL

three tips:

a. turn on your shot quality feedback

b. turn on your user shot grades

c. go into practice mode and check out your shooters hot zones. Shoot from the red

8. Matrix Monkey

Matrix Monkey Walk On

Didn't know you could do that stuff, heh. Thanks.

9. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

I wasn't aware of those options either.. Would've been nice about a month ago :)

10. BDSDIGITAL

you shoulda asked....i hooked your boy pagamer up with all that too like 2 months ago.

11. Timpegoose

Timpegoose Walk On

Haha damn. I just kinda assumed I'd suck and dealt with it for a while until I could figure out my team. That'll definitely help me out with draft picks and any FA pickups though.

12. BDSDIGITAL

It hepled me in a few different areas. It definitely helped me master release points for shots but the biggest help was knowing where to shoot from and knowing what kind of plays to have in my offense to help put guys in position.

I guarantee all of the guys running playoff teams are at least somewhat familiar with their players best release points and where their hot spots are. I know all mine.

13. BDSDIGITAL

14. Dru50

Dru50 Still Chicago's #1 son

SuperBowlNachos

Something that really turned things around for me when I was still playing was that you have to really learn to manage the pace of the game and not allow the CPU to go on runs. Momentum is HUGE in 2k12 and using timeouts effectively or just having a go-to play to get a bucket when you need to stop a run will help keep you in games. Also, learning the correct timing on passes will help you cut down on turnovers. Even on Pro the CPU rarely turns over the ball more than 12-14 times a game, so if you are turning it over 15+ times a game those are possessions you are giving away.

Matrix Monkey
    Are you using the Clippers? If you are, some of their shooters are a pain to make 3's with, even though they have good ratings. Guys like Mo Williams and Butler have a tricky release point to master, and Paul/Billups have such a quick release that it's a balancing act to remember each guys release on the fly. I use the Clips offline now and about the only guy on the roster I can consistently make 3's with is Chauncey.

Another thing that helps is looking at how good guys are at various moves. For example, Blake Griffin has high ratings on his post spin and drop step moves, and he can score almost at will using those moves in the paint. But his hook shot is garbage, and he'll miss a ton of open 3 footers if you use the hook shot rather than the drop step. Taking a look at that and combining using the moves each guy is good at along with their hot zones will really help your offensive efficiency.

That said, I echo what BDSDIGITAL recommended, practice is key. The tutorials and practice mode are great to get a feel for the guys on your squad, but nothing beats just playing 30-40 games with the same group, since you begin to figure out what works and what doesn't.

• Like Like x 3
  15. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Well I shot 48% today so that is a plus. Rebounding was good except with Dwight Howard was in which I expected.

16. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Can you use this during OA games? It would never show up when I played a user, but I haven't tried against the CPU.

I need to print out a chart with everyone's hotzones. I guess blue = terrible, grey = average, red = amazing.

17. PAgamer07

PAgamer07 We're the ship without a storm

They show up in CPU games in the OA, but not in user. It definitely helped me. You can also change your camera angles too, that sometimes help.

18. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Do division winners get a guaranteed playoff?

19. JFace907

JFace907 Ron F'n Swanson

Yessir

20. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

I <3 this game. Nate Robinson with the rebound over two 7 footers and the put back.

21. Mike E

Mike E Earth Rocker

cause Nate Robinson is sweet! ;)

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  22. BDSDIGITAL

I had that problem with the greatness which is Luke Ridnour. I feel your pain hombre

23. sonn

sonn Walk On

I'll make sure to start him against Boston next year.

24. SuperBowlNachos

SuperBowlNachos Walk On

Why do my rotations keep getting reset? I always have to go in and change who my active players are and change how the minutes are distributed.

25. Bucs

Bucs GT: ThruTheSmoke47

they usually change for me after an injury when the player is first injured and when he returns.