How to protect your star players Madden 13

Discussion in 'Madden NFL Football' started by Drifterbub, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
  2. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

I would like to pose the argument that it isn't very realistic to have your starters on special teams unless they are the P / K, return man, or sometimes the LS. True backups should be the only ones on the field during ST plays with the exception of injured players or starters who are true return men or designated gunners or coverage team players the NFL, particularly in a "sim" league setting. With Madden, I can also understand putting in a star rookie starter who has valuable return skills, but only if you have depth at his position. No way would a team put a valuable player like that in harm's way if it is detrimental to the rest of their offense/defense.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/depthcharts.aspx

3. Drifterbub

Drifterbub Help me hide a body?

Featured Threads:
    I think that is a good way to look at it. Most people outside of TSO do not have the same type of perspective. We aren't going to put Demarcus Ware on kick off because the chances of him goletting hurt would significantly increase over the course of a season. Tournament players don't have to consider this sort of thing.

This is also a popular topic for the ncaa leagues as well. A lot of people unwisely risk your starting HB and WRs when an unproven freshmen could be a better option.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Richuation

The Richuation Walk On

Formation subs could address this easily.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

I hate my starters being on kickoff....no reason to risk injury.

• Like Like x 1
  6. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

CHUNKNESS While I would agree with your point for the most part I have noticed guys like Chad Greenway on our kickoff coverage with the Vikings. Maybe it's injury related but I can see some defensive starters making their way into kick coverage teams and some offensive starters on kick protection units.

• Like Like x 1
  7. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I love that the return attribute is actually a scouted attribute now. Have found some insane return guys that really make a difference. And keep my star players from being put in harms way.

8. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

KO coverage is what ended Greenway's rookie season in the pre-season. He took a block while he was planting, and screwed his knee up. Goofy circumstance if you ever saw it. An instant before or after, nothing would have happened, but the hit was at the perfect time as he was planting.

9. Gyrene76

Gyrene76 What does the fox say?

Curious, how does that attribute affect returns?

10. H22APWRD94

H22APWRD94 RG3 Bandwagon

I believe it affects vision and blocking. Much like ball carrier vision seems to affect the holes made by your offensive line. Probably has more effect as a CPU simulation statistic though.

• Like Like x 1
  11. CHUNKNESS

CHUNKNESS Commissioner Quality Simulation Football

Greenway is an exception. He has always been a special teams player ever since he had played for the Iowa Hawkeyes (2004 special teams POTY) and he was injured playing on special teams in his rookie season for the Vikings (as mentioned earlier). However, that injury is another example why backups should be considered AND not every starter is a special teams player. In a league setting, if a team's special teams roster consists of all starters, that is BS.

• Like Like x 1
  12. majesty95

majesty95 Show class, have pride, and display character.

Agreed

• Like Like x 1
  13. woodsmall

woodsmall Walk On

I agree we shouldn't be placing starters in there with the exception of your return guys however I probably have made this mistake myself without even knowing it ... at the end of each season I reorder my depth chart by utilizing that function offered ... when i do this, I have noticed that often times it will put some of my best players in the second slot on the depth chart ... this is how my guys get on special teams because I'll be honest, I have never sat and watched the order as it has been presented in this link ... the guy mentioned he moves CB Culliver to his second SS to get him on special teams ... its definitely interesting but something I need to pay more attention too