How to stop a passing attack?

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Goose, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Goose

Goose Walk On

I CPU tears me up every year. Whether I'm in a cover 3 zone, or cover 2 man. I rarely blitz as it never gets to the qb before he finds an open man. Any suggestions?

2. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I have trouble with this also. I choose to give up yards in order to try to save points.
    1. Four man front. Pressure can bail you out when the CPU is looking deep.
    2. Bend but don't break. Give up the under stuff. If the CPU has to run 12 plays instead of seven to score, that's five more chances to get a sack or a turnover.
    3. Don't bite on PA fakes, especially if you play the FS like I do.
    4. Shift to get into position. You want to be directly over the receivers if you can.
    5. Spread the D-line on obvious passing downs. They get home faster.
    6. Blitz smart, and know where the open man will likely be.
    That's just what I try to do. I'm never one of the best in passing yards against, but I tend to keep the scoring down.

3. bdub

bdub Walk On

I struggle with this as well but I think getting pressure on the QB is name of the game. If you are playing a team with a so-so QB if you get pressure on him he will make a lot of bad passes and usually throw some ints as well. When I go up against these kind of guys I will bring the house a lot.

What I struggle with is when I play teams with really good QB's as their accuracy won't suffer when they get a lot of guys after them.

4. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

I tend to give up a lot of passing yards, but not a lot of points considering how many yards I relinquish. I defend the big play first and foremost. Mix up my defensive looks and send well-timed blitzes. A three man rush is never going to get to the QB. The CPU loves draws on second and long and screen passes on third and long.

But mostly, I try to stop the run and just accept the fact that the CPU is going to have a 70% completion percentage and as long as none are over 20 yards, I'm happy. Hopefully, I'll force two or three turnovers and get 4-5 sacks.

5. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

I run the 3-4 if you are going to understand anything else I say from here on out you need to know that. I usually stay in the 3-4 on "run downs" meaning regardless of personnel if it is a run down based on down and distance I am in my 3-4 personnel grouping. I avoid automated blitzes. I like to play some form of cover 2, it could be man under 2, or it could be traditional two, it may even be an ad libbed Tampa 2. I control my right MLB manually and key the near side guard if they are under shotgun, and if they are in the gun I "cross" key the back. I let the secondary play and take what I can get. I will give up some big plays on 1st and second downs but you are going to be hard pressed to run on me. My MLB usually has a ton of tackles and I try and make him the best player in the LB corp. When I need pressure that MLB is the guy blitzing through a the B gap or A gap. I rarely bring him off the edge in 3-4 personnel.

On obvious passing situations I like to go to the 3-2-6 and play man under 2, or a Cover 3 zone. If I am in man under 2 I bring the left MLB off the edge on the manual stunt and if it can get there he makes a pressure or blitz at least he stops the qb from breaking contain. I then have 7 in solid coverage.

Once in awhile I go to the 3-3-5 if they have 3 receivers on a passing situation. If I come out in that package though I am auto blitzing and bringing pressures and blitzes.

6. bdub

bdub Walk On

Easy, do you stay mostly in 3-4 normal or do you use the other 3-4 formations?

7. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

3-4 under is my favorite but I use a lot of them. Some of the pressures out of even are great too!

8. bdub

bdub Walk On

I usually use just the normal and under some. What are some great plays that you run out of even?

9. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

I stay in mostly Normal and Under, but I go to Over and Even sometimes.

The Even plays I like are Strike Spy 2 against the Spread Option plays, Strong Blitz is different from the other Strong Blitzes because the MLB shoots the weakside gap. And I'll sometimes just go to Even if my ILBs are getting blocked a lot because they line up stacked behind the line and it's harder for a guard to get their grubby hands on them.

10. bdub

bdub Walk On

I like strike spy 2 as well. It eats the option up. Bad thing is passes up the middle are wide open.

I have a hard time knowing when to go into the different 3-4 formations. Is one of them better against the run or pass?

11. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

In real life Over is better against the run and under to get a pass rush, but I feel like it's the opposite in the game. But I'm also not an expert.

12. egofailure

egofailure Sim habits die hard!

All this. Plus, get familiar with all the pre-snap adjustments at your disposal. This has been my focus the last month, and it's really made a difference for me in both user/computer games. You can crash your D-line left or right, as well as pinch/contain (L1/L-Stick). You can key on a particular receiver in zone coverage (L2/Receiver Icon). As well as affecting LB assignments, you can also alter your safties coverage by having them protect the middle of the field or the posts (Triangle/R-Stick).

Also, in obvious passing situations, use pass commit (L2/L-Stick Up). This isn't a saving grace, but it does make your team a little more aware of the pass. Run commit is also an option (L2-L-Stick Left, Right, or Down), but I only use this option in goal-line situations. If you guess wrong, you'll be killed in the passing game.

It takes a little bit of getting used to before you can make multiple adjustments before your opponent hikes up the ball, but you'll get there. If you're also struggling to switch between players to control, just hold down the circle button and use the right stick to the general direction of the player and you'll be good to go.

13. bdub

bdub Walk On

Great tips Ego. One thing you can also do it puts your DB's in press coverage or back them away. If you are really fast you can move your guys around presnap but its hard to do.

One thing I do sometimes is shift the d-line to the strong side of the offense. I find this helps a little but can get you killed if the run a counter to the weak side.

What position do you guys user control most of the time?

14. carolinaeasy

carolinaeasy Walk On

Right Middle Linebacker

15. Goose

Goose Walk On

Usually the #1 DT. I'm horrible in coverage with LB's or Safties.

16. the_rhinoceros

the_rhinoceros Walk On

I play almost every position except D Line depending on the situation, but mostly ILB and FS.

17. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Ditto. Probably 80% FS/SS, but I'll move to a linebacker spot in certain situations. I never play the D-line.

18. bdub

bdub Walk On

I usually play the FS and sometimes DE. I am horrible in coverage though.