How to use your 360 profile on multiple drives?

Discussion in 'The Cheap Seats' started by jello1717, Sep 24, 2011.

1. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

So I'm playing my OD with patch2 on a thumb drive and my offline with only patch 1 on my HDD. I have saved my profile on both my HDD and my thumb drive, but it's being a pain in the ass to do this because anytime that I switch from one to the other, when I try to login, it tells me that the credentials for my profile are wrong and I end up having to recover my gamertag again (which takes almost 5 minutes).

Is this normal behavior? My credentials are correct but any time I switch it says they aren't. Is there a way to avoid this?

Thanx.

(More details below if I'm unclear).
    1. I had my profile on HDD. Can login any time I want with no problems.
    2. I recover my profile to thumb drive (TD) and can login everytime on that.
    3. When I switch back to my HDD (with turning off my xbox in between) my credentials are now wrong and I have to recover it.
    4. I switch back to my TD and even though it worked in step 2 above, since I've logged in on my HDD, previously, now it says my TD's profile is wrong.

2. Keller

Keller The enemy of my enemy is my friend.

This is confusing.

I think I'm missing something but it sounds to me like you should just keep your XBL Profile on your thumb drive and load it from there everytime you sign in. All of your saves should be tied to that profile so where you are pulling them from should be irrelevant.

3. Keller

Furthur review - Why do you need to turn off your Xbox everytime you switch between the thumb drive and your harddrive? Does it not work like a real thumb drive/memory card?

Xbox memory cards you just plug them in and can use them. You can unplug them as well and don't need to restart the xbox or anything like that.

4. jello1717

So I've gotten this to work. The issue is that I never have both the HDD and the thumb drive in at the same time. This is because I have patch1 and only patch1 on my HDD (despite the fact that I can't find it when examining my memory devices from the dashboard) and I have patch2 on my thumb drive. I don't want to take any chances of destroying my patch1 since I can never get just that back again. Because of that I can't have my profile saved to only 1 of those since, as you suggested, if I only had it on my thumb drive, then when I'm playing off of my HDD, it wouldn't be there.

I think it's dumb that I need to recover every time when using my profile from a different device, but what I did was to just save it to my xbox's internal 200MB memory unit, which is there whether I'm using my HDD or thumb drive.

Just to play it safe and not risk corrupting or damaging anything, I turn off my xbox whenever inserting or removing my HDD. This might not be necessary, but it makes me feel better.

5. Keller

Put your profile on a 3rd device that is always plugged in then (ie a memory card)

6. jello1717

That's what I'm doing which I wrote above. I'm not keeping my profile on my xbox's internal memory unit which is accessible whether I'm using my HDD or my thumb drive.