How We (used to) Recruit: The 1-7-70 Rule

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by Archie Griffin, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

OK, here are the basics:

In most dynasties, recruiting, over time, becomes pretty one-sided. User teams clean up, and the CPU gets whatever the users don't want. Over a few seasons, this leads to 12 A+ rated teams, and several dozen rated no higher than B. So, we decided to implement a system that would do two things:
    • Even the odds for the CPU.
    • Encourage users to compete against each other.
    The goal is to add a new level of competition to the game, achieve balance, and increase the tension between rivals. Here's how it works:

Each coach is allowed one :5stars: recruit, seven :4stars:recruits, and he must stay at or under 70 players at all times. However, while the 70 is a hard cap, and can't be broken, the limits on 5 and 4 star recruits can be manipulated. This is how we do it:

Each season, a certain number of recruits are designated as "bonus" recruits, and this status means that they can be recruited by anyone, and they do not factor into the 1-7 system. Those recruits are typically chosen by their ranking in the class, beginning with the top 3 recruits, and then every five and four star with a rank ending in zero. So, recruits 1, 2, & 3 are "bonus" guys, as are recruits 10, 20, 30, 40, 50, ... and so on, until the recruits drop into the three star range. Once that happens, there are no restrictions whatsoever, save the 70 player cap, which, again, can never be broken.

Here's a sample list of bonus recruits from our current season:

Bonus Guys.PNG

And here's an example of how a recruiting season might work (using the above list):

Let's say my Buckeyes are graduating 15 players. My base 1-7-70 numbers allow me to sign a five, seven fours, and seven three and under recruits, for a total of fifteen. However, if I sign one of the top three, the #20 overall recruit, who favors me, and let's say I get lucky and bag the Ohio kid at the #250 spot, that would give me two more five star recruits, and also another four star recruit. So ...

1 :5stars:
    7 :4stars:
    7 :3stars:
    15 total recruits

Becomes:

3 :5stars:
    8 :4stars:
    4 :3stars:
    15 total recruits

Now that's a pretty significant difference in the quality of class, but, in order to achieve that, I have to duke it out against other users, because there are only 29 bonus guys, which is less than three per user. This number varies from season to season, but not by much. Guys are going to have to bang heads if they want to do better than one and seven.

And there it is in a nutshell. That's how we do things. It's simple, in a complex kind of way.

2. DrunkenSoldier

DrunkenSoldier Luck Of The Irish

Sounds easy enough. The #1 guy is a 6'8" athlete

3. TD351

TD351 Walk On

I am hoping to land my first ever 5star guy this year, but can an extra 4star count as the 5star if we do not have any 5stars? 0-8-70?

4. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Good question. What if we allowed it, but only in the off-season? That way, guys won't take 8 and then miss out when a big recruit lands in their backyard. Just a thought.

5. TD351

TD351 Walk On

That works- looks like I will get a 5 star anyway though- I hope....just one....once

6. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Just a reminder:

If you are forced to take a walk-on, that affects your numbers. If you recruit to your limit, and then take a walk-on, you'll suffer the same penalty as a guy who over-recruited during the season. Make sure you don't have any needs after position changes, or this could happen to you. FYI.

7. soxandgators

soxandgators The Gator Nation

Would you mind doing a roster breakdown that shows the minimum at each position you have to have to avoid a walk on ? And also since the new guys were given this info 3 weeks into recruiting will we be able to move linemen around to fill gaps ? Tackles to guards or guard to tackle. Appreciate the help cause i only have 9 spots available and after the next advance i might have 3-5 guys hard commit. Thanks man

@Archie Griffin

8. soxandgators

Ok cool after position changes wow good thing i read that again i was nervous since i only got 9 spots to fill

9. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

Walk-ons don't sign until position changes are done, so you get a chance to make things right. I came very close to this mistake once.

10. soxandgators

i love the 1-7-70 rule dont want to break it.........do you know the official min requirement roster breakdown ?

11. Archie Griffin

Archie Griffin Walk On

I don't. It varies by play style, I think, especially on defense.

12. soxandgators

thanks anyway archie.....i cant find it googling anywhere