http://traditionfootball.com/offl

Discussion in 'The Experience' started by Basis4aDay56, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

http://traditionfootball.com/offl

Hey guys, don't forget that we have a website! We are severely lacking content! Now, I am not asking that you write an article for every game that you play. Hell, I don't even do that. However, when you have a big game that you write an article for on your blog or in the forums, why not port it over to the main site? The WordPress stuff is very simple, all you really need to do is copy the HTML code from your blog entry over to a new post for our website.

If anyone needs help, send me a PM! If you forgot your login information, well I don't really know how that is possible, but send me a PM! We are in the high point of the college football season, and our interest in our league should be peaking. It will only go downhill after September, and this is not the best sign.

Let's get the content up! I'm sure you are ALL sick and tired of reading tales of Gator triumph all the time ;)

2. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

BUMP

Also, I guess I can just take content from your blogs and post it myself as I see fit. It would be cooler if you guys did it yourselves since all you need is 5 minutes and knowledge of copying and pasting, but we definitely need to take advantage of our website!

3. jello1717

jello1717 "Those who stay will be champions." -- Bo

Obviously I haven't posted there much, but it's definitely more than just knowing how to cut and paste and I absolutely hate Word Press. It's much, much easier to post stuff to my blog and every time I've posted stuff to the site page (I've posted a few things) it's been a royal pain.

4. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Okay here is a quick tutorial -- in my experience it IS that simple, so maybe I can shed some light.

First, to make it easiest, have your blog's backend (control panel) and the OFFL site's backend open in separate windows.

Choose to edit your blog post that you want to bring over to WordPress. It should be on the "Edit HTML" tab. Right click and select all, then copy.

In WordPress, go to "Add New" under the posts menu on the left navigation area.

Now, above the text box where you would enter text, you will see two tabs: Visual and HTML. Click HTML.

Paste your HTML code from your blog in.

Scroll down to Custom Fields in WordPress. On the dropdown menu, select 'postimg'. This is the picture that will show up to the left of your article once published. To use an image from your blog, find one you want to use, right click, and do the following: In IE, choose properties, then select the URL of the image and hit CTRL+C. In Firefox, right click the image and select copy image URL. Now, back to WordPress. In the text box next to where you selected 'postimg', paste the URL of the picture.

Now all you need to do is select the categories for your post. You should check the boxes of the following: League News, OFFL Experience, Your Team, Team You Played

*NOTE* I'll be updating the list of our E-League teams tonight or tomorrow.

Then, scroll back to the top of WordPress. You will see the Publish button in blue, and above that, a light gray button that says Preview. I suggest previewing your post first, and then editing it should it require any formatting in the VISUAL tab, not the HTML tab.

You're done!

5. jello1717

Here are a couple of the things that bug me. There isn't any html (that I can find) to copy/paste from the forums so, for example, in the CSU post I posted, I didn't know how to get the table of game stats to be in there so I just left it out.

The other thing is that for the postimg, the proportions of the pictures we get from EA is too wide for the postimg so if we don't crop it (I don't have photo editing software on my laptop) it gets smashed like the pic in my post.

6. JHeb

JHeb Sooner Magic

I think some of us got out of the groove of doing stuff there when we hit the offseason then all the snafu's we've had, etc. I'll def. be posting some stuff up soon...

7. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

The pic getting "smashed" really isn't that bad. My post images aren't terrible, and they are EA stock. I hear you on the BBcode to HTML transition, that is a tough one, but I am just hoping we get the page stocked with E-League content since that and the Team Builder are my two leagues, and therefore the ones I want to read about.

8. jello1717

and what are we keeping blogs for.....?

9. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I read the blogs jello. The fact of the matter is that the TF crew was gracious enough to give us webspace to use. Time and effort went into making the graphics and the layout, and quite frankly our lack of content on there is embarassing. Either post there or don't, but that is what gives us the most visibility.

The point of the blogs is for YOU, the coach, to do some dynasty reporting. The point of the website is for you to get your team visible to a larger amount of people. The last two articles up there are the SEC Championship and the National Championship. There would also be an article about the UF-OU game if we didn't need to reset the league. I KNOW there have been exciting games besides those 3 in the last month. The website is the medium to reach ALL of TF and not just our league.

10. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

I have added categories for the newer teams in the league. Everyone's team should be represented now, so newer guys (Nebraska, Penn State, Michigan State) you have categories to post on our main site under.

I am also going to start pulling stuff off of blogs for the main site. Everyone feel free to add it to the main site yourself, but everything that you post on your blog is fair game for the main site. Jello has added some stuff that looks great. This is also a reminder to you all that we have this site, and to check it out every so often.

Thanks!

11. jello1717

Do they have permission to post there? I know way back when AG set it up, he had to set up an account for me (and probably everyone else too) before I could post there.

12. Basis4aDay56

Basis4aDay56 Walk On

Hmmm... good point. I think if they have been in OFFL leagues then they should be set up. I'll look into it -- thanks Jello.