HUGE Cap Book Issue #1 - Rule Committee

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by wajomatik, Aug 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wajomatik

wajomatik Magister De Puer De Vacca

HUGE Cap Book Issue #1 - Rule Committee

This is not a big deal I just thought it might be good to put in writing that during the offseason players salary and squad position is not set until the season opens. With all the moving of players up and down in the cap book due to trades and cutting nothing is set in stone until the season starts.

2. Big D

Big D Walk On

I agree. It should not be 'set in stone' until teams play their Week 1 game. This would be true for any season.

3. natedawg212000

natedawg212000 New Orleans Saints

I am sorry, but I am not following what we mean?

4. wajomatik

Actually now that I've thought about it, there is no issue as the issue would have been with the backups becoming the starters when people are traded or whatever. But the system takes care of it because the modifiers are constant and not tied to the player. Im sorry Im a high ass and thinking too much.

5. Big D

Big D Walk On

Ok I just talked to Wajy and I guess I was confused as well.

We need to implement some system so a players total contract salary NEVER decreases. I know we've been adamant about that in the past, but say if David Garrard gets replaced by a higher OVR rookie in season 2, I can't start to pay Garrard less. That's not realistic.

Even in season 1, if I send up signing Kevin Mawae as my #1 center, Brad Meester wouldn't beginn to get paid less.

We can't have a system like that in my view. Unrealistic.

Glad you brought this up Wajy...good catch!!!!! (y)

6. wajomatik

After chatting with Dunlap we do need to set a rule that says nothing is set until the season starts. Reason being if I trade away my starting LB for a WR my backup now becomes my starter with a modifier of 3. Now lets say I sign an LB FA that I want to be my starter, we cant say that I have to pay the backup a modifier of 3 now just because he was the only LB I had. Does this make any sense?

The way I was expecting it to work is that modifiers aren't directly connected to the player, rather the positions.

7. Big D

Big D Walk On

I don't think I could vote for that. If I sign a player in FA, doesn't mean I should be able to play another player less. That would be a MASSIVE loophole....holy moley.

Say this for example: I have Asomugha as my #1 CB. I pull of a huge trade this offseason for Revis. Now Revis is #1 and Asomugha is #2. I should not be allowed to pay Aso less....my goodness I can't imagine what would happen if that occured in real life....haha.

8. natedawg212000

guys there is NO issue, there are rules in place for this. Look at the Saints book to see that is what I've been doing. I think the capbook guys are not realizing what all is suppose to be done.

Case in point -

Saints had shanle as my starting lolb. I traded for jordan. Jordan is rated higher. I have to pay Jordan AND shanle a 3.

I traded for SS Grant. His overall puts him as a starter. When Roman left, that bumped up my back up to the starter in the first trade with the lions. My back up vaughn was bumped from a 1 to a 2. When i got grant his overall puts him as a starter. Even though it was for one day inbetween trades, even one minute inbetween trades, grant gets a 2 cause of overall and vaughn stays a 2 because he got a raise when roman harper left.

follow me?

really no issue here cause this is how it is suppose to work. maybe explaining better or re-wording, but this is how i always knew it worked.

9. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

This is my understanding....

Mods are connected to players in relation to others on their team. Think of it as a "yearly" contract. At the beginning of the season I have Fitzgerald he is my #1 guy, I sign hakeem nicks so he agrees to a contract as a #2 receiver. Although after Fitz leaves and Nicks becomes my #1 WR, he still is paid like a #2 because of the contract agreed upon at that point in time.

10. Big D

Big D Walk On

My goodness I'm really confused now.

So contracts are 'set' at the beginning of the year. So if I drop Garrard mid season McCown would receive no bump in pay, even tho he is now the #1 QB?

Also how do we handle progression? Is it always based on the orginial modifier?

11. wajomatik

I dont think anything should be set until the season starts. This will not allow people to move players around without giving crazy raises to backups when that shouldn't be the case. Why should players get raises in the off season just because there is not a player above them at that moment. Im not saying that any players salary should regress but I don't think salaries should become inflated in the offseason because a team is making moves.

Lets say I trade LT D. Free for DE T. Cole. This means I only have LT A. Barron on my team, he is my backup and thats where I want him to stay. In the mean time I go out and sign FA LT S.Andrews to be my starter. Why on earth would Barron's salary increase?

12. Big D

Big D Walk On

I get your point, looks like we need to come up with a balanced compromise system, but I'm defintely NOT in favor of guys salaries going down.

13. Emmdotfrisk

Emmdotfrisk Working half days on my days off.

yeah contracts don't change mid season. Contracts are agreed upon upon signing. Just because McCown wins the starting job it doesnt mean that gerrard will get a pay cut and McCown gets an increase. Once their contract expires, or they are released from the team there salary will change

14. wajomatik

To fix this issue all we have to do is make a day that everyone must have their players set on the roster. In other words all roster positions must be set by day X. All traded players and FA signees carry whatever modifiers they have to the teams but all players currently on the roster dont have to be set until a certain date.

15. wajomatik

Whatever decesion is made we need to make it fast and post it.

16. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Okay, let me try to clarify the situation. OR confuse it. Not really sure yet.

Modifiers are strictly by overall setup. Supposed to be. So when you move your "starter" (highest overall) in a trade, you move the former #2 guy to #1, and pay him starter money accordingly. If the player incoming to your squad via trade would NOT be a starter, but WAS on the other team, he stays at the modifier he was at on his old team.

Simplicity, I thought. Modifiers never go down unless a player is cut by a team. They go UP based on trades/FA signings/cuts. NEVER down.

17. Big D

Big D Walk On

That makes sense. Are they 'locked' in place like Frisk is talking about?

18. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

How does "sort of" strike you? lol

If a team signs a player in free agency that is better than their current starter, they pay both the NEW starter AND the old one at a starter modifier.

If a team trades for a player that is better than their current starter, they pay both the same modifier.

If you trade for a player and they were paid as a lower modifier than they would be on your team, their modifier goes UP when they join the new team (they are the new starter). If they were a backup on Team A but on new Team B they are a starter, they get starter contract when they join new team.

19. wajomatik

I get this.

But as far as the situation I was talking about earlier we aren't giving backups raises during the offseason. We need to state something like this in the cap rule book.
    "During the offseason should a player be cut/traded his backups do not move up in pay scale. Once the season begins if a team cuts/trades a player, and does not replace that player the backups all move up accordingly."

20. Big D

Big D Walk On

I am remembering our old system. So how about this:

1) Modifiers (and thus total salary) are only set based on their roster positions during week 1 of each season.
    2) Total salary can never decrease.
    3) Modifiers can never decrease.

I think those three rules pretty much spell it our simply and straight forwardly.

21. Winuvas

Winuvas OMFL Jets

Again, simple.

Where the hell were you when I was WRITING this damn War and Peace novel?

22. natedawg212000

Ya, what Win said is what I've been doing. Are we changing this to it locks at the start of the season? if so that will save me some $$$!!!

23. wajomatik

Guys Im going to post a thread about not having starting positions set until the season starts. There are just so many instances where Im not sure if teams are moving backups into starting positions or if they are going to continue searching to replace a player cut/traded

24. natedawg212000

That is fine with me!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.