Human vs CPU

Discussion in 'Thread Archive' started by akutozo, Mar 1, 2016.

1. akutozo

akutozo Baby, I'm a Brown.

In the interest of opening up more dialogue on this matter (given the amount of close games and losses) I wanted to engage the league in discussion on whether or not our CPU sliders were matching with what we want to be getting from CPU games.

Not to call anyone, but we've seen a lot of users struggle more against the CPU than they have against actual users themselves. Recent match ups have included:

Lions vs Raiders (CPU) - (28 - 31)
    Titans (CPU) vs SnoHawks (63 - 27)
    Patriots (CPU) vs Jets - (15 - 17)
    Redskins vs Eagles (CPU) - (40 - 17)
    Patriots (CPU) vs Broncos - (21 - 30)
    Rams vs Ravens (CPU) - (36 - 27)
    Steelers vs Raiders (CPU) - (27 - 6)

Both the Titans and the Patriots have the best rosters of these CPU teams (90 and 89 OVR respectively per DL).

Obviously, this is just a sample size and some games have certainly had more success than others. Because I don't speak for everyone though and I can't monitor every situation, I'd like discussion and get feedback on this.

• Do you feel that despite the sliders, CPU plays better than human?
    • If yes or no, why?
    • What's your experience with the CPU QB?
    • What's your experience with the CPU Defense?
    • Is Mozaaik a pretty little thang?
    • Do you want the CPU sliders to stay the same, or be changed? How would you change them?

Last edited: Mar 1, 2016
  2. RaiderRed90

RaiderRed90 Rage Fiend

Mozaaik is the prettiest thing ever.

Also I agree the CPU is nuts. Super quarterback and ridiculous defense make playing computer games a nightmare.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. BigK44

BigK44 Walk On

I haven't had to play a CPU game in awhile so my info may be a little outdated, but I honestly didn't think they were that hard. My biggest thing when playing the CPU is that you have to go in against them like its a user, by that I mean don't expect them to be easy. We all know the momentum plays a huge part in any game, if I go with the expectation that this will be easy, I can run out of coach suggest and win, etc. I'm most likely going to lose. I have never been a fan of an easy CPU, and I don't think they should be automatic wins. Just my 2 cents and my own experiences playing the CPU

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TMo Boise

TMo Boise Walk On

Well nobody has struggled against my cpu ran team. Lol I have 3 blowout losses from the cpu running the team.

5. Woody

Woody Walk On

I tried to answer your questions directly but I was struggling. So I'm just going to hit you with a wall of text instead.

I only had 1 game against the CPU. It was a close game, pretty much like every other game I've played this season. I know I did struggle big time in the run game. I had 20 attempts that game. Out of those 20 attempts, I was probably stopped for no gain or a loss 7-10 times. I ended the game with 47 yards. That seems a little extreme to me.

As for passing defense, I was 19 for 43 and 2 INT's. That's the lowest completion percentage I've had all season. 2 INT's, that's pretty normal for me though.

Now on to the CPU offense. They were pretty predictable. I'm not sure there is much we can do there. Once I figured out what they were doing, I stopped it and I was fine. One strange thing I saw is if you cover everyone, the CPU QB will just stand there until he gets sacked. Again, that's probably something we can't do anything about.

Now my feelings about the CPU games, and maybe I'm in the minority here. I don't think users should be punished for playing the CPU. I think it should be the other way around. If someone can't play for whatever reason and the other user has to play the CPU, they should have a pretty good chance at getting the win. Now, I'm not talking like blowout wins. Nobody wants to see that, but somehow I would like to see a little less of a challenge just to award the guys that are playing their games on a weekly basis.

6. RyanRain39

RyanRain39 Walk On

I struggled against the Eagles. After that week, I believe RFF made mention of slider changes, and my game against the Ravens was much more enjoyable.

7. RFF

RFF Walk On

Please cite only games that happened since the slider change.

8. akutozo

Sure. What were did the slider change take effect? Was it start if week 5?

9. RFF

RFF Walk On

Friday

10. Mattraq1

Mattraq1 Walk On

I guess it we have to ask ourselves. Do we want cpu games to be free wins, or a legit competition. It sounds like most the league expects free wins vs the computer which I find unfortunate. Altho I have yet to play these alleged super cpu teams with the new sliders.

• Like Like x 1
  11. akutozo

Alright, I updated statistics.

Best game for user so far was Redskins winning be 23.
    Worst game for user so far was SnoHawks losing by 36.
    The toughest teams (Patriots and Titans) played the best by far.
    Eagles are a surprise to lose by so much to skins, tbh.
    Raiders were hit and miss, beating Lions (mediocre roster) but losing badly to Steelers.
    Ravens did okay.

12. akutozo

I'm not really advocating either way. I think most people feel that they play in a SIM league to play humans, not CPU and already are annoyed by the prospect of playing the CPU. When the CPU plays better than an actual human, it can cause feelings of frustration for the user. In a situation like the SnoHawks, for example, I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to lose by 36 to the computer. His situation was in no way the average, but on average teams as good as the Titans rarely ever get controlled by the CPU, and in this game they opened up a 6 pack of whoop ass.

Edit: additionally, there is nothing to stop a CPU from cheesing, running up the score, or madden just deciding this play isn't going to be your play.. Which seems to happen less in a user game, but that could be a biased feeling based on my own negative experience.

13. RyanRain39

RyanRain39 Walk On

It's not necessarily a free win, but when the CPU was going 11/11 on a drive every time... nothing would stop it It got a little frustrating. a little give I dont think was too much to ask for. Yes it is CPU, but it shouldn't play like a well oiled machine just because the user AP'd or left the team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    I think the CPU should be a challenge. You shouldnt be going into a CPU game thinking you are gonna get your rookie WR 200 yards and win by 3 scores. I understand that sometime a user cant make a scheduled time and that sucks, 90% of the time if you ask for a sim win in that situation we will give you one. However, we are at that stage in the cycle where weather is improving an people are going to start dropping. I expect we have about 10 or so CPU teams by the end of this season. If they are all automatic wins where is the fun?

Keep in mind, I got BLASTED by the CPU Browns last user season, a loss which ultimately kept me out of the playoffs. Thats just the way it goes. If CPU games are essentially "gimmes" and I have to start playing 4-5 of them a year Im going to quickly lose interest. Others might lose interest because they dont want to get beat by the CPU...it is what it is though. I feel like we have a pretty good balance (some users beating the CPU, others arent) and I really dont think we should do a whole lot to mess with it.

15. hskr8128

hskr8128 Walk On

Featured Threads:
    People should also realize that they should play the CPU a little differently. If you sit back in zone all day I promise the CPU will have 6-7 completions to their HB/FB. Mix things up. Call some man, etc.

Anyone I play can attest to the fact that I blitz ALOT. I rarely ever blitz against the CPU because they will immediately recognize it and hit the zone you blitzed from. You have to slightly alter your game plan for the CPU just like if you were playing a really good user.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. RyanRain39

RyanRain39 Walk On

Difference in an AI and user Quarterback. They can read the field in .01 seconds. Meanwhile not as quick for a user to read it to see where the zones are going, is the WR going to beat press on the cut? AI already knows these things.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. RFF

RFF Walk On

If I'm being totally honest, I feel like this is just an issue of guys needing more experience playing Madden on our version of All Pro difficulty... especially now with CPU QB Accuracy turned down, it's still much easier than All Madden. The CPU is so dumb, I feel like you can win easily almost every time. Just don't get greedy by throwing into coverage on offense and get them into 3rd & 6+ on defense, and it's a fairly easy stop. But I've only played 6-7 CPU games in HaW, so maybe I just got lucky.