Huskies beat Rutgers 45-28

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Nov 5, 2010.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Huskies beat Rutgers 45-28 after taking a 21-0 lead to start the game.

A lot of times I have blamed my losses on my team just coming out flat or whatever. Well this time I'm going to have to blame the win on my team coming out ON FUCKING FIRE. Especially on D.

Rutgers wins the toss and chooses to kick off. We had a couple of hiccups (couldn't run, so long 3rd downs) but that wasn't a problem as we got a conversion and then on the next one Nick Montana finds Larry Barnes who burned his man (linebacker???) and goes 59 yards for the score.

"Don't put a linebacker on me!" Barnes yelled as he ran back to the sidelines. Coach promptly told him to shut up, a linebacker is about all he can get open against.

With a 7-0 lead the defense immediately went out and forced a punt. A couple of minutes later we were in the end zone again, this time Montana found halfback Deontae Cooper (extremely dangerous split out) wide open and Cooper took it in from 19 yards out.

Next time out we forced a turnover, as Steve Shimko threw the first of three picks on the day. Montana made him pay, throwing a dart that Kevin Smith went up and snagged in tight coverage. Smith had hands like glue in this game, whereas he normally can't catch shit. Again, just the team playing awesome, gotta take advantage. A 21-0 lead against a player like Mo is taking advantage.

Rutgers got on the board with a 31-yard pass from Shimko to WR J.T. Tartacoff. Just like in my win over Bly I felt we had people in position on this one and all you can do is tip your hat when they just beat you when they're covered. Washington took the 21-point lead right back on a 1-yard plunge by Polk, but had to watch as Rutgers got their second touchdown to pull it to 28-14 at the half.

Our defense came out with renewed vigor early in that third quarter and essentially put the game away, making a couple more interceptions. Meanwhile, Montana threw his fourth TD pass of the game, this time on a flea flicker as the defense wasn't really too fooled but Smith didn't care.

Rutgers once again got it going, but once again we had a big lead by the time they did and it was too little too late. The game was really over for sure when senior Johri Fogerson (who has ridden the bench most of the year, unfortunately) busted a 65-yard touchdown run with 6 minutes to go. Fogerson was extremely effective with 15 carries for 141 yards and a score. Chris Polk was awful, and frankly we were happy to see him go down with a game-ending injury in this one.

Montana won player of the game with his 12-21, 315 yards, 4 TD, 2 INT performance.

On defense Desmond Trufant, Adam Long, and FS Nate Fellner all came away with interceptions, and we had four sacks led by Everrette Thompson with 2. Andru Pulu and Sione Potoae each added a sack in an effective defensive performance.

2. BRUCE80

BRUCE80 Let the dirt just shower over you..

Nice win B, PAC TEN is the best and we just keep proving it.

3. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    Man not having a good enough QB hurts. Shimko is too inconsistent. Easily around 54% passing on his year. Next year maybe worse with me possibly starting a freshman. At least I'll have my RB Jordan thomas with a year under his belt and the stud that came from OSU starting as well.

4. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

Yeah I felt looking at your team that we had advantages in almost every matchup... With maybe the exception of our starting WR's on your starting CB's. So coming out my plan was to work the TE, slot guys and mix in the run. I was hoping to dominate a pretty weak front with the run, but it wasn't until late in the game that the run really started to shape up for us.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Walk On

Featured Threads:
    my team was really piss poor this year lol...the loss of my starting RB hurt like hell though...Jordan Thomas is a fine back but Williams was a gamebreaker...ugh.