Huskies' miracle pass play shocks #1 Stanford in 45-41 upset win

Discussion in 'Game Summaries' started by Hellisan, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

[​IMG]
    Tyler Wilson gets into the end zone with the game-winning TD

Down 41-38 with no timeouts and with the clock winding down, the Washington Huskies got a huge break when wide receiver Tyler Wilson outfought a Stanford defensive back for the ball. Wilson then scored on the 40-yard play with 0:06 remaining on the clock to give UW an upset win, while shattering the hopes of previously #1 Stanford.

Greg Baker had torched the Stanford defense for most of the day but the pass to Wilson as the game was winding down was more of a prayer than anything else. Wilson is our biggest, best receiver and we do tend to just throw it up to him on occasion, but in this case the DB had the angle. He leapt high for the ball, and tipped it. But then he sort of "checked out" of the play, while Wilson tracked the ball and made not one, but two attempts at it, securing the ball on his second try before racing for the game winner.

To even get into position to win the game late was a chore. Stanford scored first, after the Huskies had the ball but fumbled it away. UW came back to tie it with a 50-yard pass from Baker to TE E.J. Webster, who has a 1,000 yard season in his sights. Stanford regained the lead with an 8-yard touchdown run, while we kicked a field goal to make it 14-10 after the first quarter.

Stanford dominated the second quarter, running good offense and benefitting from a few mistakes as well. The Huskies were in a position to make plays a few times during this portion of the game, but never could. The Stanford running game took it into high gear and they scored on a 7-yard run and a 12-yard pass in the quarter. It was 28-10 at the break.

Stanford took the second half kickoff and got a 50-yard field goal as the Huskies finally got a stop. Washington promptly went down and scored on a golden arm of Greg Baker, who found Tyler Wilson. The latter made a beautiful leaping, 12-yard catch and held on despite taking a big hit which made it 31-17, Stanford.

Stanford hit another long field goal to make it 34-17, and Tyler Wilson struck again. After Stanford appeared to be bumping our receivers to death, we ran a route that is designed to beat the press but there was no bump. Instead Wilson lost his man and Baker found him for a 57-yard touchdown to make it 34-24 with 0:43 left in the third quarter.

This is where the wheels fell off for Stanford. On successive drives they had turnovers that were converted immediately into points. On the first, the QB was drilled while throwing and linebacker Gary Fields was Johnny-on-the-spot, intercepting the pass. That turned into a 3-yard touchdown pass after we couldn't run it in. Moments later, Antoine Bentley (30 Car, 179 Yards, 4 TD) fumbled on a blitz up the middle by the safety. SS Dustin Wilson retrieved the fumble and ran it in, giving us a 38-34 lead with 5:05 to go in the game.

After stops by each defense, Stanford had another drive in them and slowly drove down the field. Washington chose to use their timeouts during the drive to ensure they had time remaining on the clock, rather than have little time but all their timeouts. Bentley scored to give the Cardinal the 41-38 lead with 43 seconds remaining.

Then came Washington's miracle play and Stanford's dreams of a title likely out the window. Stanford can still beat Cal and guarantee themselves the Pac-10 title. They played ferocious football and we just caught some breaks at the right time.

Player of the Game:

QB Greg Baker, UW: 22-31, 547 Yards, 5 TD, 0 INT, 2 Sacks

• Like Like x 3
  2. jms493

jms493 Veteran Member

nice write up...sounded like a justin.tv game ;)

3. jfosh

jfosh Super

I saw the 21 points by UW in the 4th and knew there was a heart breaking story for BBJ in there somewher

4. Blaza

Blaza In Arsene Wenger I Trust

Coach Helli pulls another one outta the hat. Nice, nice win.

Unlucky for the Cardinal--thats what makes these titles so coveted.

5. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

int pick 6-hit and went to a dline mans hands. and fumble by bently and a basically hailmary pass...4th qtr sucked ass...

6. Hellisan

Hellisan Schemin 'em up

The INT wasn't a pick 6... it was caught by the blitzing OLB... the fumble was returned for TD though. Yeah some bad breaks. Nothing as bad as the break I suffered the first time we tried to play it :D

PS I am pretty sure I have fixed that issue... I went to settings and now I no longer permit the Xbox to go to sleep mode or whatever it is... Haven't had any issues since.

7. bringbackjimmy

bringbackjimmy WTFWTTD

thats good to hear.. in all honesty you deserved the win...